PS4 SAB-001 MOTHERBOARD COMPONENT - If anyone can help!

Discussion in 'PS4 Hardware' started by ruroni, Sep 11, 2019.

1. 19
    ruroni

ruroni Member

Battousai!
    Hello.

A friend has a problem with his USB ports, no power or no sync. They are dead.
    So i wrote him to test some components around the usb circuit to check if the fuses or therm. were ok and not shorted.

I don't have a sab-001 motherboard to test them right now to compare, but the only thing he could point to me is this component at the picture.

[​IMG]

Full:
    https://ibb.co/fq9ycdL

Not the best quality, sorry for that.
    Is that a cap or a resistor? He checked continuity and it's shorting. Like i don't have the same board to test, i can't tell if it's a cap or a resistor (it's under the GL3520 usb ic 3.0).
    So if anyone has a board in hand that can test that component, i will be very appreciated.

Nevertheless, it can be the sb or the usb ic in fault. Or both. The power to the IC seems right (from his tests) but the output is off. Can be that component, if in fault, or the IC.

Thanks for your attention.

2. 1,692
    Naked_Snake1995

Naked_Snake1995 Senior Member

Graphic Designer
    Short Answer, its a Resistor, but to be perfectly sure, grab a PlayStation4 Service Manual for the CUH-1000/1100 Series, if they are available, the part serial number and description should be described in the manual itself, assuming you are searching by the board serial code, board diagrams and schematics will also do.

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

ruroni likes this.
  3. 19
    ruroni

ruroni Member

Battousai!
    Thank you.

I thought it could be, but didn't know for sure. Because, so far, only found that problem being from any thermistor, a bad usb ic or the southbridge. But we never know, can be other component.

Will search for those schematics, but never found any in the past when i needed :)

Once more, thanks for your answer.

4. 1,692
    Naked_Snake1995

Naked_Snake1995 Senior Member

Graphic Designer
    No worries, i wish i could help you further, but with the PlayStation4 my area of expertise is not that big as on other PlayStation Systems, so ill leave to the more experienced brains to give a concrete answer about the USB feed, but if that resistor is shorted, replacing it should bring the 5V USB feed back, but thats just a assumption, wish you good luck with the repair regardless

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

5. 2
    f4t

f4t Forum Noob

Hi !
    Judging by its size, it could be an inductance. An inductance beeps when tested with continuity mode, and can be misleading , letting you think that it is a shorted component.

I've searched the datasheet of the GL3520 ic, looking for a "typical application" figure, but could not find one.
    https://datasheet.lcsc.com/szlcsc/Genesys-Logic-GL3520-OVY22_C136620.pdf

6. 19
    ruroni

ruroni Member

Battousai!
    It was indeed the GL3520 the faulty or the issue in this case.

After getting the PS4 from my friend, did a few testing and all looked/tested ok besides the output from the USB 3.0 IC. Sometimes it can be misleading, i mean, the IC can be ok but the SB (or other component) will be bad or going bad with similar results (i can be wrong, but this is from experience i've had). So, like the IC is the "easier" fix, i started with it and in the end the USB ports came back to live.
    Replaced with a extra IC (and clean the no lead solder, replaced with leaded) i had around, bought some time ago from china (bought at the time like 10 pieces).

f4t likes this.