Safest/Best fan speed?

Discussion in 'webMAN MOD' started by SliwkaHAX-_, May 10, 2020.

1. 51
    SliwkaHAX-_

SliwkaHAX-_ Forum Noob

The title says it all.
    But I have a question, is it safe to the fan run at 100%?

2. 1
    mark1971

mark1971 Forum Noob

why 100 percent it will be like a helicopter

3. 351
    Zoilus

Zoilus Member

So you're saying that the way it comes from the factory is NOT safe? you think a forum queen knows more than the engineers at sony?
    Always leave your fan stock! Its beyond stupid to change anything. It is the check engine light of your system. When it starts getting louder than normal or what it should be, its telling you something is wrong. You either have to clean it thoroughly and/or change thermal paste.

In some cases it just gets louder because you install something like webman which for some reason has dynamic fan control set to on
    which makes no sense but usually it gets louder because its starting to get to hot for a reason and that louder sound is telling you to check into it and fix it. Also people magically forget that the faster a fan spins ... the MORE wear you are putting on the fan's motor and the more dust and crap you are sucking into the system.
    Leave it alone.

4. 51
    SliwkaHAX-_

SliwkaHAX-_ Forum Noob

Bruh why you tried to roast me so much, I was just asking. I know that it's good to have it on SYSCON but like i was asking for a stable fan speed.

skonafid likes this.
  5. 7,530
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

There is not a "best fan speed" that could be applyed to all PS3 models, take a read at my posts in this thread, i was talking about what you can do to check how good is your PS3 with cooling, and how to configure the custom fan setings incase you need it
    https://www.psx-place.com/threads/ps3-rsx-works-really-hot.29518/

I like what the engineers did with the PS3 cooling btw... but the fan settings was not only a decission of the engineers, it was the executives who told to the engineers "we want less noise"
    And the engineers said "but less noise means higher temperatures"
    And the executives said "less noise or gtfo"

The low fan speeds are a marketing decission

Last edited: May 10, 2020
  6. 1,212
    Fin9ersMcGee

Fin9ersMcGee Moderator

Musician
    Webman has this function for a reason... It cools better than syscon. You think the developer who wrote this did so just because he could and is a "forum queen" rather than a Sony employee...

Your information makes no sense...

Sony Employee - "I know, let's kick the fan into high gear when there's a fault"
    No... It kicks into high gear because its hot. And needs to cool.

The OPs question is very much valid, seeing as setting the fan to 100% can cause some issues (why don't you try it yourself and have fun getting out of it)

Now, one of our rules here is to "Be respectful to fellow members and staff".
    And your post here is very.... Well.. You criticised and belittled someone who was looking for an answer to his question.

Just be nice please.
    There was no need for your response

sandungas likes this.
  7. 3,494
    aldostools

aldostools Developer Developer

As sandungas said "there is not a best fan speed". There is an ideal temperature for your console.
    That "ideal temperature" depends of the model, the environment where you play and the activity that you're doing with your console.

If you are mostly on XMB configuring your console, playing music or watching videos, the ideal temperature should be between 60 and 70 degrees celcius (140F to 158F).

If you're playing games, you should expect a higher temperature: between 65C and 75C (150F - 168F).

If your console reach a higher temperature than the mentioned above doesn't mean that your console will explode, but the internal components of your could be damaged if that temperature persists for a long period. Above 80C (176F) is considered dangerous.

The cooling methods SYSCON, dynamic, auto 2 or the table used by IRISMAN adjust the fan speed dynamically.
    webMAN increases the fan speed aggressively (in a short period) to ensure the console reaches the target temperature quickly.
    SYSCON keep the fans running slow to avoid noise, even if the temperature is in a dangerous range.

I recommend to use dynamic or auto2 with a minimal fan speed of 40% and a target temperature of 68% or 70%.

If you opt for the manual method, I suggest that try between 40% and 50% and monitor the temperature for a while to check that your console doesn't get too hot with these settings. If you need to set it above 60%, I suggest you that consider external coolers.

Last edited: May 10, 2020
    sandungas and Fin9ersMcGee like this.
  8. 971
    Coro

Coro Member

so we shouldnt install cfw or hen? just play it like it came?

you realise this website is about modding/hacking playstations? modding is short for modifying...that word means changing!

you are right...sony designed the ps3 to be safe...thats why it shuts down when it gets too hot...we just mod ours to not get that hot so easily.

9. 351
    Zoilus

Zoilus Member

you
    and you realize we are talking about fan speed not cfw ...right?????

10. 971
    Coro

Coro Member

you said its beyond stupid to change anything

my point was if its stupid to change things from the way sony made them, then we should not be using cfw/hen or anything else. if our ps3 bluray drive breaks we should just stop using ps3 because sony didnt think you needed to play iso from hdd.

basicly if you think its stupid to change things on sonys products then what do you use this site for?

i dont think i know more than sony enginneers but do think i know more than their boss that told them the fan was too loud.

11. 351
    Zoilus

Zoilus Member

When I was getting my degree many moons ago my professor told us that every human being has a limitation on their intelligence and as well to their common sense, only the dumbest of fools and OR the most arrogant.... don't realize them.

I know many things...but I would never walk into a fire department and say "suit me up" ...because I'm not a firefighter.
    I would never go Toyota/Lexus and tell them "let me design your next car" ... because I'm not an architect or an engineer.

Developers...code and script, that is NOT carte blanche to being all knowing... not even remotely close. And when you're stuck in that dogmatic tunnel of knowing and focusing on only that, then it can limit you and close you in a box that you can't see out of, causing you among other things to not see the bigger picture.

I'm sure there are MANY devs here who can't change their own car's oil, cook a burger or steaks on a grill properly or even draw a nice picture freehand...and so on and so on...you know, things that are basic! or even complex... like figuring out amortization or day trading on forex :encouragement:

I've been dealing with tech stuff as a side hustle and or hobby since the 80's with vcr's and among many other things...
    over the life of the ps3 , I've dealt with around 400 or so of them in the past 16yrs.

Of course it doesn't make sense to YOU, you've reached your limits... you know , the ones I mentioned at the top :cool2:
    and the example you gave with the sony employee proves this.
    But let me try to explain it on a more simple level...

In my response to the op I said don't change the speed because this lets you know when something is wrong.

Yes of course the fan spins faster because its hot... no duh! (this is where your limits kick in)
    * but for the rest of us with HIGHER limits we actually ask.... but WHY did it kick into high gear!

* Under normal operation it should be fairly quiet, if it gets fast, of course it gets faster to cool itself but this faster
    spinning generates a much louder than normal/usual sound... this means something is NOT normal, something is
    making it hotter, fan is spinning faster... hence the louder noise.

* This loud sound alerts you that you need to find out WHAT is causing it to spin abnormally fast and look into it to prevent
    damage and or catastrophic failure. This faster spinning can be cause by but not limited to.....

* If the system is not getting enough air because of its location and or being dirty then you need to clean it, outside AND
    in! because running the fan faster will NOT clean the system and you should see how nasty these systems get, especially
    on the inside. Spinning the fan faster in this case actually cause MORE dust/dirt build up quicker as dust chunks get larger
    creating the "snowball" effect. Not cleaning it will cause the system to choke even more and ask for more air. This can easily
    lead to system failure

* Thermal paste has degraded to the point where it doesn't meet the minimum system's requirements or beyond. The paste doesn't
    last forever. Running the fan faster does NOT make new paste magically appear. It needs changing!

in my experience with ps3's , at least 19 out of 20 times when the fan is running high, cleaning and new thermal paste, put everything
    back to normal!

* running the fan needlessly faster, puts more wear and tear on the fan motor. Sometimes when the motor is on its way out, its noisy
    in a squeaky higher pitch metalic kinda way, sometimes it just dies, no warning. Although they are one of the most durable pieces
    in all of the ps3 mechanical parts.

* sometimes even after cleaning and changing paste, the fan may run a bit faster or considerably faster because the chip/s
    just can't deal with heat anymore as they were when they were nice and new due to wear or some abnormality. Because
    2 exact systems who have been next to each every day and have the exact same clock hours on them may "age" differently
    for XYZ reason/s. This is the randomness of all mechanical things. So if the ps3 fans are fast because of this, then you're
    on borrowed time because they will only continue to degrade faster, but in all fairness that time could be till tomorrow , next
    week or 5 years... but at least you know they're aren't quite as "healthy"

* running it needlessly faster over stock will NOT give you better graphics, won't decrease load times, won't give you more ram, doesn't increase hdd capacity, doesn't stop other parts from breaking or not working, like the laser lense, the hdd, the usb or hdmi ports
    or prevent human errors like bricks.... among many other things.

* So what does running it faster over stock speed do...exactly? extend the life of the chip/s? because it won't prevent other things from failing. Not to mention it comes at the expense of more wear on the fan's motor. And if it does extend the life of the chip/s, by how long...a few years? a few months? a month? a week? a few hours? How long...exactly? its a rhetorical question because I know you don't know the answer, nobody on earth does. So what DOES it do in the short and long term exactly? and at what cost or trade off?

* So you leave the stock speed as is, so that when something wrong DOES start to happen, you can hear it and fix it before the issue
    escalates into something worse! If you run it high/er all the time, yeah you keep the chips cooler buuuuut that doesn't clean the system nor replace the paste... and you will miss out on the system telling you "hey man, my fan is running faster and louder for a reason , check me out cause something is wrong"

And if you have a problem with any of the actual facts I gave, consult any fix it shop, group, individual you want (thats reputable
    and experienced) and they will tell you everything I said with the little * next to them.... are 100% correct.

This issue was never that his question wasn't valid, don't know where you got that from, but I told him to leave at stock.
    And why would I run it at 100% when I said in my original response to leave stock??

So I'm actually working on doing a video about why fudging with your fan is a bad idea based on all the facts I gave above,
    because people really need to know why you shouldn't on a ps3 and pretty much any modded console. I'm video recording this
    whole thread and copy pasted everything I wrote because I know how much SOME moderators and devs hate to look bad
    so just in case my posts , "disappear" out of bootyhurt feelings.

Last edited: May 18, 2020
  12. 351
    Zoilus

Zoilus Member

yeah I did say it was stupid because it is, but that conversation was CLEARLY fan speed related, that's what I was referencing because that's the topic we were discussing....ummmm comprehension, you may want to order a refill.

That whole other stuff and conclusions you came up with was all on your own and has nothing to do with the topic, congrats.

13. 13,033
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

68 degrees C is the default wmm. I'd leave it at that, but I guess it really depends on the model. older models are liable to get hotter. my ps3 gets to between 65-67 degrees C on the xmb with about 29% fan speed. I have ps2 games running at 50%, and the temps there are around 50 degrees C or lower, but I didn't do some long tests, so it would probably get hotter.

14. 971
    Coro

Coro Member

i know what the topic is...btw the ps3 is not yet 14 years old.

no need to reply...im done with this thread.

15. 1,212
    Fin9ersMcGee

Fin9ersMcGee Moderator

Musician
    OK.... Bit of a essay there just to call me unintelligent and get your point accross...

Sony screwed up the cooling system. And I get what you mean about "the fan letting you know something is wrong" and agree there are other things to considee such as thermal paste, deliding and adding extra pressure to the contact point between chips and heat sink.

So your calling everyone on this forum who changes their fan speed "stupid"...? Bit insulting, no? Very uncivilised indeed.

Considering that a big chunk of dead ps3s are down to cracked BGA solder points (something not you average user can fix) then fan speed changing is a quick fix.
    There are also other options in webman that changes the tables on which the fan is governed, allowing for slightly more aggressive fan speeds (but never 100%) so it's not just "set to max, burn out the motor" scenario.

We do advice people to do other things than just ramp up fan speed to fix heat issues. But when you have 100s of threads and posts to moderate, we can't always devote our time to these situations.

Now, I'm not going to delete anything as I'd love to see your videos. And I'm happy to admit I'm wrong if the right evidence/proof if shown to me.
    But I will say this. Insulting members isn't going to achieve anything here. So please be civil.

16. 1,628
    nCadeRegal

nCadeRegal Moderator

The only person I see butt hurt here is you brother, a simple question was asked, which it has been numerous times already here and it was answered. You came in all butt hurt and started questioning everyone's intelligence. Who do you think that makes look bad, us or you?.......

17. 16
    skonafid

skonafid Member

I'm forced to keep it at 70%+ during the summer because my CPU is always at 70C but the RSX at 40C-50C- good job sony

18. 3
    ThisIsMe_NoBody

ThisIsMe_NoBody Forum Noob

I`m using %34 on my super slim.:encouragement: