Save Data and Game Data directly over the network

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by Paraffine, Jan 14, 2020 at 7:13 PM.

1. 3
    Paraffine

Paraffine Forum Noob

Hello there,
    I'm posting it here because it seemed the most appropriate place for the question, feel free to move where it pertains if some other section is deemed more appropriate.

My PS3 is a PS3 Slim CECH3000, so the only way I could mod this is through PS3HEN, over which I installed Multiman.
    I'd like to store the game data and save data from my PS3 (connected via Gigabit Ethernet) directly over the LAN, on a NAS running XigmaNAS (Formerly NAS4Free) Embedded. I don't wanna to backup those, but directly write and read from the network instead of the internal Hard Disk. I've looked around and it seems that usually ps3netsrv is used to do this, but after searching around both here and the internet I couldn't find a version compiled for BSD (feel free to link such a version if it does exist), are there any alternative strategies? Somethink link mounting a network drive and junction linking the folders on the PS3 internal HDD to the network drive? Any pointers on where is it explained how to do this?

In the event the only way to do that is to virtualize a compatible OS running ps3srv within the NAS (a solution I'd prefer to avoid, due to the greater amount of consumed resources and added layers of complexity) what would be the best option in terms of reliability and resources used? Windows or a Linux (Debian?) Virtual Machine?

Thank you in advance,
    Paraffine​

2. 44
    gmipf

gmipf Member

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020 at 12:44 PM
  3. 3
    Paraffine

Paraffine Forum Noob

Yes, XigmaNAS is an embedded distro of FreeBSD, so I guess I should run it in a jail.

What about a dedicated minimal Linux VirtualBox, would it be an overkill?

On the same note, I noticed there's a version of ps3netsrv for Openwrt(ARM) , how heavy is ps3netsrv resource-wise? I was wondering if it could be possibile to run it on a Openwrt box? In particular my box is a Qualcomm Atheros [email protected] MHz, 64 MB RAM and 8 MB.

4. 44
    gmipf

gmipf Member

Never used it on low power embedded devices, but the Linux version is using very little amount of RAM. Where do you want to run the Virtualbox VM? Is your NAS running FreeNAS?

5. 3
    Paraffine

Paraffine Forum Noob

Kind of, is running XigmaNAS (formerly Nas4free), which is a branch of the original FREENAS Project, more in line with the Project prior v8.x.

Guess I'll give a try to the OPENWRT version, if that doesn't work or tops the memory usage of the router I'll try the VM option and report back here!