PS2 Searching a proper Fan replacement for FAT PS2

Discussion in 'Help & Support' started by Estox, Sep 24, 2019.

1. 103
    Estox

Estox Member

Hey,

Im owning one of the loud PS2 Fat Models, even louder when the ps2 detects a installed HDD, if you don't know, when you using a HDD with the network adaptor the ps2 will turn the fan even higher and so also louder.

Is there any cool Fan mod like the noctua mod for Dreamcast? It does not have to be with proper 3d printer holders to fit the fan in the original fan holders, Im just searchign a compatibel fan. I can solder the wires of any standard PC fan to the original PS2 Fan Plug that it fit on to the Mainboard that is no problem but I don't know how much Volts the Fan need, how big etc.

could You guys help me? The exact model of my ps2 is shown in my signiture under this post if you need.

2. 1,656
    jolek

jolek Senior Member

In your signature you're mentioning only one Fat model (SCPH-50004).
    It's one of the quietest model when you'll not attached NA.

If you have a problem with it even without NA, there is something wrong with it.

As you mentioned with NA it'll be more noise, because higher RPM of fan should also cool down
    additional heat produce by HDD.

The funny part is that you don't need HDD inside to get higher RPM of fan,
    it'll start to be even noiser soon as you'll attached NA.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
    Algol likes this.
  3. 762
    Peppe90

Peppe90 Member

However you need to use the NA in some way (like doing something from the ETH port), otherwise the fan won't speed up. At least with the 39004 it is so. 5000X are different in that?? (my first 3 Ps2 were 50004, but I never connected a NA to any of them).

I agree about the loud. 5000X are much more quiet (and hotter) than 3900X (and previous too I guess).

4. 1,656
    jolek

jolek Senior Member

Yes, you need to attach NA in fat model to have ETH port.
    The fan will speed up on SCPH-50004 as soon as you'll attached NA,
    no matter with or without HDD, you'll get the same noise.

Without NA it is very quiet IMO.

5. 762
    Peppe90

Peppe90 Member

I didn't know that. With the 39004 it's not so: the fan speed up only when you actually make the NA doing something.

I agree, I had 3 of them and never even noticed the sound (I never connected a NA to them). With my current 39004 is all another world, it's louder than the Xbox (I've a 1.6 one). But I'm more secure this way, since the console remain cooler. I've just to raise up the tv speakers volume.

6. 1,656
    jolek

jolek Senior Member

So to sum up, on SCPH-39004 when you'll attach NA (without HDD),
    noise\speed of fan will not raise?
    When you'll at least use ETH port (without HDD) in e.g. OPL to connect with PC,
    fan will be noiser?

7. 762
    Peppe90

Peppe90 Member

It don't raise up even with HDD connected (if not used, i.e. when playing from USB/Disc). Many changes (to OPL and Ulaunchelf) has been made appositely for this reason, to not make the HDD to spin up and the fan to speed up when no needed.

If I play games from ETH the fan speed up. I don't remember when doing FTP, but I think yes, since all devices are loaded. But I think it depends on the programs (they load the NA modules, otherwise it remains off).
    We had a talk with @sp193 about it. I asked him if it was possible to play games from ETH leaving the HDD off/fan normal speed.
    I don't remember the answer… Maybe once DEV9 is loaded the HDD/fan goes up automatically.

Thus when people at the time used to play online the fan raised up. You couldn't play online without a iHDD right?? So it makes sense

jolek likes this.
  8. 762
    Peppe90

Peppe90 Member

What a stupidity, I was thinking about DLCs that many online games have… but it's not obligatory obviously, otherwise it'd have been impossible to play online on Ps2 slim.

I'm really curious to know if the fan used to speed up when playing online (where I live, in Ps2 era, we barely knew what internet was. I never even saw a NA in any shop).

Tags: