PS3 searching forums for hours

Discussion in 'PS3 Homebrew' started by odin82740, Feb 5, 2019.

1. 20
    odin82740

odin82740 Forum Noob

so I just got into the homebrew aspect of the ps3 imanaged to put the latest rebug cfw on my system it was running 4.82 I have followed all the videos and step by step instructions and everytime I try to load a ps2 or ps3 game it will either not allow me to write it from the usb or it will open back up to xmb I am not a total noob I have been running retro pie smoothly for about a year but this is a bit more complicated any help would be appreciated

2. 178
    FmTGamer

FmTGamer Member

working
    ps3 games have to be installed on the internal hdd

3. 20
    odin82740

odin82740 Forum Noob

yes I realize this I have used the usb to transfer only I have also used ftp neither are allowing me to open the game files

4. 6,126
    DeViL303

DeViL303 Developer PSX-Place Supporter

Part-Time XMB Modder
    That was a typo, He means PS2 games need to be ran from internal. PS3 and PS1 games can run from external. Make sure you have latest Rebug toolbox installed and Cobra enabled in the toolbox. Also you could try some different backup managers if you having issues with one, Managunz is meant to be good for PS2 games.

Note not all PS2 games will run on a non BC PS3, and lots of games need config files to run on newer PS3s, do some research into those. Managunz will help with auto applying configs for lots of games.

For PS3 games, Cobra Firmware with games in ISO format has best compatibility.

Coldheart2236 likes this.
  5. 20
    odin82740

odin82740 Forum Noob

ok so maybe I wasn't clear enough with my post let me run through a few things
    I have isos running for psx not much of an issue
    playstation 2 will boot up to the ps2 screen but never start the game
    ps3 wont run at all
    I have everything internal under proper folders my ps2 files are iso and im trying to run game I know that be compatible ie… sly cooper prince of Persia and for shits and giggles tried final fantasy x
    I downloaded my materals from psx place and made sure everything was up todate but for some reason these game files wont run
    if you would like I can give you pictures of mty settings im at the pont where it hasn't even been 48 hurs and im ready to try wiping it and reinstalling rebug and hopefully someone can walk me through it because I followed all these suggestions already

6. 20
    odin82740

odin82740 Forum Noob

note game files I had before or I ripped them with multiman

7. 6,126
    DeViL303

Part-Time XMB Modder
    So you are using latest Managunz and definitely have Cobra enabled in the toolbox? and you know your PS2 games are compatible or you know you have correct config files to make them compatible? What format are your PS3 games in, ISO?

8. 1,878
    Cypher_CG89

Cypher_CG89 Senior Member

Lead Graphic Artist/Dev, VENOM ELITE GAMING
    On REBUG CFWs enable REBUG Mode as well as Cobra Mode from in the toolbox or use the CFW Settings folder in the Network column to enable them.

EDIT: In the REBUG Toolbox look for "System Operation Mode" if its on normal, select it and switch to REBUG Mode. Your PS3 games should run fine after that, and as @DeViL303 suggested use ManaGunz to auto load config files for PS2 iso games.

9. 6,126
    DeViL303

Part-Time XMB Modder
    TBH I've never found a use for Rebug mode unless you want to switch to retail XMB which I never use, switching to retail kinda defeats the point of using Debug hybrid FW in the first place, the spoof is not working anymore either. I don't think it will effect anything to do with games but maybe I am wrong?

10. 20
    odin82740

odin82740 Forum Noob

my ps3 files are iso I only have one at the moment im actually going to pick up my old discs in about 15 minutes from storage so I can rip them all through multiman (unless there is a better suggestion)
    my ps2 files are also iso files my psx vary between cd files iso and .cue and .bin files I haven't tried adding my pbp files yet.... if there is a better format for ps2 than iso I am unaware of it because from everything I read it should be the most stable format...

11. 1,878
    Cypher_CG89

Yeah it does have an effect on games, not sure about PS3 iso's as I don't use them but for JB folder games they won't mount without it enabled or rather they just get mounted to the DEBUG path of app_home/PS3_GAME, not the ideal mounting method you want use if playing online.

Also if your on DEX REBUG Mode will spoof your FW version for you still, so no need to use SEN Enabler, I just use another PS3's PSID and IDPS set to spoof on boot with CCAPI ans PSN Patch to disable the syscals. Though this doesn't work on CEX with REBUG, you need SEN Enabler to spoof your FW version for you.

12. 20
    odin82740

odin82740 Forum Noob

@DeViL303 I went with rebug only because it seemed to be the common thread like I said I know nothing about consoles I know bare bones to get by and very minimal with computers what started as a way to save space and a gift for my girl has definitely made me rethink how to go about doing this if you wouldn't mind id love suggestions about what I should use instead of rebug I never plan on using it for anything more than an arcade and media center with that I can play 3 geberations of playstation on

13. 722
    Coldheart2236

Coldheart2236 Moderator

ISO is the way to go for PS2. Rip using multiMAN on PS3 or something like ImgBurn on PC. For PS1 I'd recommend ImgBurn because games with multiple audio tracks require an accompanying CUE file in order for the audio to play properly in-game. ISO will be fine for some games, so multiMAN (or IRISMAN) can be used for PS1 disc backups as well.

14. 1,878
    Cypher_CG89

ISO format is the best for PS3 and PS2 games, PS1 you can get away with BIN/CUE, IMAGE/CUE format with them. PS1 ISO's tend to set the BIN file from mode2 to mode1 and not run.

15. 20
    odin82740

odin82740 Forum Noob

I do appreciate it guys I don't plan on playing online at all honestly onlt need the internet for the ftp mostly she and I are more solo gamers rather than multiplayer

16. 6,126
    DeViL303

Part-Time XMB Modder
    Ok, good to know. Strange that Rebug.me doesn't mention any of that about Rebug mode when its quite thorough on the toolbox options.

I think DEX doesn't need to be up to date as standard, so Rebug is not spoofing really, its just a feature of DEX, again could be wrong but that was my understanding, I think forcing updates is just a CEX thing, it makes sense to me that devs wouldn't be forced to update instantly like users.
    Oh yeah, Rebug is the best most full featured firmware IMO. I was just saying I had no real use for Rebug mode in the toolbox.

17. 1,878
    Cypher_CG89

REBUG CFW is the most popular CFW followed closely by FERROX. most people, i think, tend to go for REBUG because of the amount of options with it as its the only CFW that is a HYBRID of CEX and DEX (For the devs and modders, like me lol :rolleyes:), and can convert your PS3 from CEX to DEX to essentially run as a DECH debug unit.

18. 722
    Coldheart2236

Coldheart2236 Moderator

Before I installed Rebug REX I used Ferrox Cobra for the best part of a year. It's a lot more like OFW than Rebug, but then again Rebug in CEX mode is more or less the same as OFW aside from homebrew. There are advanced features, e.g. Debug Settings menu which in Ferrox requires a specific button combination in order to be accessed.

There are other menus in Rebug like Custom Firmware Tools under the Network category of the XMB, but none of the added menus really need to be accessed if you're simply going to be playing games. Packager Manager is included on both Ferrox and Cobra, which is what you'd use to install homebrew such as webMAN MOD, RetroArch, NoPSN apps and what have you.

While the advanced features are there in Rebug, they by no means need to be used and for the most part it can be operated as if it was official firmware.

odin82740 and DeViL303 like this.
  19. 1,878
    Cypher_CG89

I think its more to do with just JB folder format games for this, though as i say am not sure as i have no use for PS3 ISO games being a serial offending modder (though not in public games lol and maily for modding the graphics) But i remember helping some out about a week ago on here and am sure they were using ISO format PS3 games and they wouldn't boot to the retail path unit i asked if he had REBUG mode on, he didn't and then games worked. I have no intention of testing this, ripping the games take long enough without waiting for them to be converted to ISO as well lol.

I know I never need to update from 4.80.1 when I was on it and didn't update till 4.82.2 and never lost the ability to go online. As for what it does and not sure as you cannot use the DEX EID0 to go online, I am using an CEX EID5 from my SuperSlim so I should really be getting asked to update. Its still up on the REBUG site that REBUG Mode spoofs FW ver but it has been removed the from the FW. Only joonie can tell us what its really doing in DEX with REBUG mode other than the VSH swap lol.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
    DeViL303 likes this.
  20. 7,843
    bguerville

bguerville Moderator

I already checked this issue a few weeks ago after a similar conversation I thought it was settled.
    The Rebug Mode is only a file swap, nothing more. You don't need to take my word for it, the Rebug Toolbox source code is available. Iirc, a quick search for "rebug_mode" in toolbox.cpp should locate the conditional statements dealing with the Rebug Mode option change.

When you enable the Rebug Mode option, you swap files between CEX/DEX versions. List of files used by the Rebug Mode swap process to convert CEX/DEX vsh:

sysconf_plugin.sprx
    vsh.self
    index.dat
    version.txt

I would assume that the "spoof" you keep talking must come from the version.txt file swap.

And new users should always stick to full CEX (CEX kernel & CEX vsh), Cobra enabled (or Mamba payloads) & ISO games. For game compatibility, it's always the best combination.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
    STLcardsWS and kozarovv like this.