Shadow of the Colossus, who has played this?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by atreyu187, Apr 30, 2019.

1. 5,055
    atreyu187

atreyu187 Wanna-BeTA Tester Moderator

MCU/Sony Enthusiast!
    Home Page:
    So my birthday was last week and I got a $50 GameStop gift card. I decided to go get some PS3 games as ATM all I have is my CECH-3001, a PS Classic and the Wii I found and repaired till I can get back to my moms some 28 hours away.

Anyhow I came across Shadow of the Colossus & Ico pack. I recall how amazing this was on PS2 so I grabbed and the disc. It was just as amazing as I recall playing all those years ago on my PS2. But man does anyone find this game "scary"? The mid air parts really give me anxiety but nothing compared to the deep water parts.

So anyone else played this game? If so what are your impressions?? Also @STLcardsWS is this the proper forum for posting about games and gameplay? Sorry it's been so long just trying to get back to helping out and being helpful in the forums, trying to rectify that severe mess up I did the other time.

ntodek and sandungas like this.
  2. 8
    mondul

mondul Member

At first it is, but you get used to it the most you play it. I never played it when it was for PS2, so it was kinda new for me when I got it as a gift last week. Even though my TV is relatively small (50 in) I was intimidated by the size of the first colossus, but after a while trying to climb on it I noticed how fun was to play this game. Also it has a lot of story, so in other words, enjoy it and replay it after you complete it.

atreyu187 likes this.
  3. 5,055
    atreyu187

MCU/Sony Enthusiast!
    Home Page:
    Working on the 15th one right now. Got 7 hours into it and will be the first time I beat it on PS3.

4. 60
    SpyroMancer

SpyroMancer Member

Played it over 6 times. Fav game ever made. I remember i couldn't beat the 8th colossus, because he gave me anxiety every time i tried to. It took me about a month for this fucking thing. Was trying to beat it a couple times, got mad, turned ps2 off. Finally beated him, and the rest of the game in a couple of days. Great, great game

atreyu187 and sandungas like this.
  5. 10,404
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

I've never played the game, but based on screen shots, it looks like the titan battles in castlevania lords of shadow. that's one of the few games I've beaten this past gen. :)

atreyu187 likes this.
  6. 1,922
    Berion

Berion Developer

Awesome titles, with specific world, specific aura, but today with rust movements/physics. ^^ I finished them on PS2, ports on PS3 and in case of SoTC, also remake on PS4 (absolutely fantastic work! with few bonuses and all items in one playthrough). Guy behind those games is true artist, but the future of his studio is dark. The Last Guardian, a prequel for SoTC (but it is hard to connect anything...), sold very bad and was long and costly developing, so...

BTW: I have made a map for the remake: ^^
    SoTC_aio_map.jpg

7. 718
    Zar

Zar Developer

It's in my top10 PS2 games, and I played a LOT with my PS2.

ntodek likes this.
  8. 5,055
    atreyu187

MCU/Sony Enthusiast!
    Home Page:

Give ICO (same creator and world) a shot if you liked LG and SoTC and @pinky it was very similar to Lord's of Shadow so much so I just beat the game as I couldn't buy it from PSN as it was never available so I got it from GameStop and it is what spawned my curiosity to buy SoTC

pinky likes this.
  9. 1,922
    Berion

Berion Developer

Of course I finished also ICO. ;) They are the games unique enough which player could always go back and find something fresh and artistic (instead to tapeworms like i.e Call of Duty ;p).

10. 5,055
    atreyu187

MCU/Sony Enthusiast!
    Home Page:

Yeah these games fall under art to me. The lore leaves a lot of room for imagination which is rare these days. It's right up there with my coveted Bloodborne.

11. 1,922
    Berion

Berion Developer

You should try remake of SoTC. It completely dethronement the original versions on PS2/PS3. I was afraid that Bluepoint would break it, but no, they make it better in every aspect. I have much respect to them for this job.

12. 981
    Naked_Snake1995

Naked_Snake1995 Senior Member

Graphic Designer
    Played the OG back in the PS2 days, same as ICO, same goes for the PlayStation3 HD Collection, itching to buy the remake as well as The Last Guardian, didnt play thoes yet on the PlayStation4. Japan Studio makes great underrated games, ICO,Shadow Of The Collosus, Gravity Rush, you name it, shame people dont appreciate these games, and consider it niche!

13. 10,404
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

were you ever able to beat the dlc boss in lords of shadow? I wasn't, so I stopped playing the game.

atreyu187 likes this.
  14. 5,055
    atreyu187

MCU/Sony Enthusiast!
    Home Page:

Yeah he is a PITA but I went from Paladin back to Knight and was able to beat the forgotten one. If I can do Chapter XII time trial and beat it in Paladin I will have earned platinum. I got the DLC with Mirror of Fate HD in the collector's edition of the game. I needed a break from the game after that as he is truly a challenging boss.

Once I finish the last Colossus I'm gonna play Mirror of Fate on PS3 as I have only beaten it on the 3DS. It's really cool playing as so many from the series like Trevor and Alucard. Then I want to play through LoS 2 and the DLC from that as I never got platinum. Besides any excuse to play as Alucard is a great reason to play.

LoS 2's DLC is better then the actual game. Mercury Steam really dropped the ball in the second game but it's not terrible it just doesn't meet the first ones standards. But all in all it was a great reboot of the franchise and finally a good 3D game. The first since Curse of Darkness on the original Xbox which was the last game I got for that system.

pinky likes this.
  15. 710
    Coldheart2236

Coldheart2236 Moderator

Moved to off topic forum :)