PS3 Silent Hill 2 HD Collection PS3 Save Editor

Discussion in 'Game Mods' started by montcer, Jun 28, 2019.

1. 172
    montcer

montcer Member

Hello,

I faced a hard time looking for a save editor for Silent Hill 2 HD Collection PS3 version. I find a way to mod it so I will share it for future generations, if any, if the world doesn't end or if the game have any other player! Hahahaha.

Anyway, you will need:
    1. The attached tools. It includes an Xbox360 Dummy save file, and Silent Hill Xbox 360 Save Editor by ZEP v0.2. Thanks to him.
    2. A program called Horizon. Here is a mirror with both the program and the tools.
    3. BruteForce SaveData. I used 4.7.4. If the link is dead, I am sure it will be in the internet.
    4. Your PS3 savedata from Silent Hill 2 HD.
    5. 7z or any other compatible tool because some files are compressed with it.

Ok, lets get started.

1. Install / Start both BruteForce and Horizon.
    2. Extract the attached file somewhere. I recommend to you to create a folder in a easy access location, like Desktop or C:\ D:\ etc. I used Desktop\WB.
    3. Get your save data from your PS3, transfer to your PC and make a backup of it. I located it in WB.
    4. The WB should look like this:
    ej1.JPG
    ej2.JPG

• 1. In BruteForce, click in the three dots located up right in the screen. A windows will open so you can locate your save(s) patch. Do it and click ok.
      1 (2).jpg

2. Click on the save you are going to work with, and notice it should have a file in the list at the left corner. Right click on it -> Decrypt PFD -> LEFT CLICK.
      1 (3).JPG

3. The program will ask if you want to decrypt it. Click on YES.
      2 (2).JPG

4. Now you are done for the next step, HORIZON.

• 1. Go to TOOLS -> PACKAGE MANAGER -> OPEN
      And locate 05_savegame.SH2, which, if you are doing it like me, should be in Desktop\WB\05_savegame.SH2
      H1.jpg

2. Once opened, it should look like this:
      H2.jpg

3. Go to CONTENTS -> RIGHT CLICK IN 05_savegame.SH2 -> REPLACE -> DESKTOP\WB\YOUR_SAVE\SAVEDATA.DAT -> LEFT CLICK
      Note: SAVEDATA.DAT must be decrypted if you are following this tutorial. Notice that a file called "~files_decrypted_by_pfdtool.txt" will be in the save folder if so.
      H3.jpg

4. The program will prompt saying "File replaced successfully!". Click on OK.
      H4.jpg

5. Click on PACKAGE INFO, slightly change the name in DISPLAY NAME (I added some random numbers at the end), click on SAVE, REHASH, AND RESIGN, and click on OK in the windows that will POP with the confirmation, and CLOSE the PACKAGE MANAGER windows in the X up right (Not the HORIZON program).
      NOTE: It is very important to change the name in Display Name and close the PACKAGE MANAGER windows. Otherwise, the program may not really save and finish the file, don't know why. It is not necessary to close HORIZON.
      H5.jpg

• 1. Open Silent Hill HD Collection Editor.exe, and CLICK on LOAD. Locate 05_savegame.SH2. All the fields should be filled with "1".
      MOD2.jpg

2. Mod the fields you want to, and click on SAVE, then OK in the windows that will prompt.
      MOD3.jpg

3. You can now close the Mod program and follow to the next section.

• 1. Repeat the Step 2.2 (Horizon Part 1).

2. Go to CONTENTS -> RIGHT CLICK in 05_savegame.SH2 -> EXTRACT -> Save it as SAVEDATA.new or any other name.
      MOD4.jpg

3. Check if the file was created. If not, repeat since Step 4.2.

4. Go to your Savedata folder and delete SAVEDATA.DAT. If it is being used, close BruteForce and try again.

5. Once deleted the previous file, rename the output file from step 4.3 as SAVEDATA.DAT. It must be located within the very same folder as PARAM.PFD, PARAM.SFO and ICON0.PNG.

6. Continue in the following section.

• 1. Open BruteForce if it was closed, and click in REFRESH in the upper right corner.

2. Click in ENCRYPT PFD -> ENCRYPT DECRYPTED FILES, and click YES in the windows that will pop.
      BF1.jpg

3. The lower left corner green color should be removed. If you want to check,

• 1. Rearm your save folder, and notice that the only modified files were SAVEDATA.DAT and PARAM.PFD, the last one to decrypt / encrypt.

2. Place the save in your PS3 and you are good to go!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
    atreyu187 likes this.
  2. 18
    bungholio

bungholio Member

I'm too lazy to download this because I do eboot modding. What does it have that would be worth finding? All I can think of worth having is statistics modifiers like time taken/damage taken/enemies killed with guns, which items you have in your inventory, and stuff unlocked. I still need to get to this game some day, and I haven't finished messing with Silent Hill 3 either even though I successfully got a code to make the camera follow me everywhere to work.

3. 172
    montcer

montcer Member

It was important for me because I was looking to get the game platinum trophy. There is a gold trophy where you need to finish the game with less than 500 damage points taken, and I was lazy enough to start over the game just for that; it was better for me to check the stats in my last save to ensure that all the requirements were meet so I could finish it with no worries.

EDIT: Btw, about the links in your signature. Did you notice that BruteForce Save Game doesn't have a proper mods for SH2 HD? These are useless, not sure why. Don't work. Anyway, by any chance the cheats in your links can successfully handle SH2?

4. 18
    bungholio

bungholio Member

I could easily find EBOOT codes for not getting damage. What codes would you want for SH2?

5. 1,175
    umart666

umart666 Senior Member

more importantly,why would anyone play that trash?i know it's pointless to discuss tastes but SH2 on ps3 can look really good patched for widescreen,10000 times better than that atrocius remaster.

Peppe90 likes this.
  6. 172
    montcer

montcer Member

LOL. Can you do that for Max Payne 3, Mortal Kombat, Dead Space 2 and so on? Hahahaha.

Yes, no damage taken will be marvelous! Hahaha. Plus faster reload speed, and maybe faster shooting rate. I can't get how that stupid character can be so slow to aim. For god's sake, if a monster is going to attack you THE FIRST THING YOU WILL DO IS IMPROVE YOUR SPEEDDDDDDDD!!!

It looked very well actually. There was a patch that fix several things. I read several post of people complaining about the game being unplayable, horrible and etc, and the worst thing I can say about it is that the story is kinda lame; liked more SH1 obscure and bizarre things.

The gameplay is other thing that you can love or hate, but it was the same in PS2.

7. 18
    bungholio

bungholio Member

I don't know what there is for Max Payne 3. I have the game, never played it since it looked like any code I would have hacked was already found. I already messed with Mortal Kombat, and did all 5 Dead Space games to death so I don't know what's left to find in any of them. Right now I messing with Dishonored for somebody, but after that I can look back at SH2 even though I get the feeling some codes were already found.

8. 1,175
    umart666

umart666 Senior Member

i could write about 2-3 pages of what's atrocious about it,it has nothing to do with original games.just watch digital foundry video about SH2,he explained it better then i ever could.

and there's absolutely zero reason to play it.only major issue is infamous leg bug (and that's not present on cecha and cechb),if you want widescreen patched iso's work flawlessly,ps3 smoothing looks and suits all of 3 games perfectly and do wonders with jaggies and that way game looks good even on big 55" 4k tv.

beyound that there's emu on the pc if you're that into added resolution.there's also fan fixed/remastered pc version of SH2 but they still didn't fix lightning (as idiots from konami lost original source code so all lighting except in original ps2 version is borked for original xbox and just pasted in all other versions of the game so people that do SH2 fan remaster try to do lighting from scratch) so i personally myself would never play it that way,and like i've said,720p on emu with couple of soft filters,widescreen or on ps3 is really perfectly fine.

Peppe90 likes this.
  9. 588
    Peppe90

Peppe90 Member

SH2-Ps2 version is still the overall best if you have a good old CRT (btw someone could prefer Xbox and/or original PC version, since they have some minus but some plus too).

For playing in a modern 16:9 tv, if you have a PC, this is definitely the best way to play SH2 (with latest patches this is even better than the ps2 version in almost every aspect, still WIP): http://www.enhanced.townofsilenthill.com/SH2/

YT channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/WhereAllBegins/videos

Ps3 remaster is trash, unfortunately :(

10. 1,175
    umart666

umart666 Senior Member

depends on the game:

SH2 - everything orher than original ps2 version is borked,lightning,fmv,voices...everything is gimped for original xbox and then they've lost the code so everything else (pc,remasters...) is basically pasted from that borked xbox version.

that fan remaster is slowly getting the ultimate version,but lightning is what's missing.i salute them because they basically are trying to do impossible and they should be supported any way we can but untill they somehow manage to restore lightning original ps2 version is only way to experience what Team Silent accomplished.

SH3 is more or less fine and the same on all platforms,but i personally prefer ps2 version,as polygon and texture work was really done for ps2 capabilities and resolution.ps3 with widescreen patch and smoothing is the maybe best way to play on big 16:9 screen,but that's subjective.

SH4 is more or less done for PC especially first person scenes,and can be adjusted to work,play and look fine on modern systems.

HD Collection is far the worst way to play any of these,and insult both to a fan and anyone with common sense.

11. 588
    Peppe90

Peppe90 Member

Well, they're almost there about the light, they're working on the shadows to match the ps2 version (since og PC version doesn't have soft shadows). If you have a decent PC, able to run the game with the Reshade patch enabled, the light is pratically identical to the Ps2 version.

There are the FMV packages too for replacing the og PC ones (that as you said were ported from the Xbox version, so only 30fps and even more compression). You can even play the game at 60fps.
    If you recently didn't, check it out, they made a lot of improvements with latest Patches ;)

I agree about SH3, it's just perfect on Ps2. About SH4 I seems to remember it was too much polished on PC… I played it on Xbox.

The only real pity on SH2-Ps2 version is the torch lighting (that's calculated per vertex, not per pixel), I found exploration more realistic/immersive on Xbox, especially into buildings.

12. 1,175
    umart666

umart666 Senior Member

well,we both disagree on the lightning and you're plain wrong (it doesn't even remotely look like the original) so i'm going to stop further offtopic on my part.

13. 588
    Peppe90

Peppe90 Member

:encouragement:

...just one last thing (more for eventual other Readers, I guess you already know).
    The monitor/tv on which you play actually matters the most. I remember the first time I tried SH2 on PC (100% vanilla at that time), I played it on a CRT monitor (quite well calibrated: absolute black, perfect saturation, etc...) and it was very similar to the Ps2 version I used to play on my CRT tv. On a lcd tv/monitor is all another (worse) thing about colors.

14. 1,175
    umart666

umart666 Senior Member

no display in this world would make lightning on ps2 and on pc (even with fan remaster) look even remotely similar,unless it's not working or turned off. ;)

jokes aside,absolutely is crucial,keep in mind those games are mastered on pvm's,and close you get to that better it will look.i'm not saying you need pvm or even oled to enjoy the game,but something with decent blacks is very important.that's why i'm preaching (a)VA panels that much on this forum,after more than a decade of practically everyone other than very well off people being forced to use TN panels now you can get aVA of decent size,quality and resolution for under 200 bucks...

15. 2,586
    Cypher_CG89

Cypher_CG89 Senior Member

Lead Graphic Artist/Dev, VENOM ELITE GAMING
    :rolling::rolling::rolling::rolling::rolling::rolling: .... seriously WTF?

16. 588
    Peppe90

Peppe90 Member

Indeed, the "town of silent hill" people too suggest to use a Oled or CRT for the best experience (since these kind of games are better to be played in a completely dark room). With a VA panel (I've one of it) you can perceive a real black but only if there's some light in the room (otherwise black is clearly a grey/blue…).

CRT monitors are usually capable of absolute black (exactly as Oled), crt tv instead depends on the brand/model, btw all of them have a more than sufficient black (Top Plasma tvs are decent too).

17. 1,175
    umart666

umart666 Senior Member

watch making of SH2 and look what they were using.

18. 588
    Peppe90

Peppe90 Member

I just watched this video (keep in mind his PC have some compatibility problems, so deep of field of the pc version doesn't work. Plus the Enhanced edition got some Patches since the video was made, like le torchlight's brightness fix, some water fixes etc...):

Since for the topic author even the Ps3 remaster is playable, I guess he isn't so finicky to notice any difference between Ps2 version and PC-EE. I must say that I didn't noticed most differences (I finished the game a lot of times either on Ps2, Xbox and Pc).

However I understand your fussiness, since in a work like this, every little detail matters.

19. 18
    bungholio

bungholio Member

I just checked the database, and realized there are already codes for the timer.

Hiei-YYH already found the timer, 0 saves, and kills by melee or weapons. He has a code for health too. From what I remember on the PS2 when I did codes for this game, all results related codes were right next to each other. Even the 1 byte of data that determines the type of hyperspray you use were right next to the timer and stuff. Is there really much needed? I could easily find a health code if needed though.

20. 18
    bungholio

bungholio Member

I suppose my own questions are irrelevant at this point. I'm messing with SH2 BLUS v0100 av0102. I'm only at the beginning, but I don't see any obvious reason as to why Hiei-YYH made his health code based on the read operation rather the write operation. I've found one to refill my health to full when I take damage that is made of 2 lines, and it doesn't seem like the lines are affecting the basic spraying zombie things, and same applies for my invincibility code.

I also don't know if his time code just stops the timer from increasing from whatever it was, or if it sets it to 0. If his does not save 0 time, I'll be modifying it for that purpose.

I already had old codes to have all items and a button enable code to be able to toggle going through walls.

When I did this on the PS2, I remember the bits for how strong the pepper spray was to be right next to the stats like time and enemies killed with certain weapons or whatever else. I'll find your code to make the game save 0 damage taken if you take damage.

If you can think of things worth finding, I can try finding them

I'm mainly thinking stamina to run forever, have items, ammo, the ending stats, maybe run speed, press a button to just kill enemies or at least hit them from anywhere, and a position modifier and maybe y old room modifier which is not always useful. I can also find the stuff to press a button and save anywhere since that was easy on SH3. I'll actually make an attempt to see if there are things I can modify at the end of the game to change the ending on the spot since I never looked for that before, and it's all likely near the end stats stuff too. People also didn't find anything for Maria's health so enemies don't kill her.