PS2 [SIO2SD] SD Card Adapter and SD-driver for the PS2 SIO2 interface

Discussion in 'General PS2 Discussion' started by TnA, Apr 19, 2020.

1. 1,514
    TnA

TnA Senior Member

I am glad it works well!
    So that is confirmation, that there is no Layout-Issue regarding the lines!
    IT WORKS! YEHA!

If we could get up to 1.33MBit/s during FMVs we would be over the amount of what an MPEG2-Stream needs + usually they use way lower bandwidths anyway (hence it also works on USB with a lot of games now)!

Edit: Regarding Clustersize... Well, AFAIK a default of 4KB (for cards up to 16GB), or bigger clusters up to 32KB (for cards up to 256GB), is default anyway...

Last edited: May 23, 2020
    sandungas likes this.
  2. 1,227
    Fin9ersMcGee

Fin9ersMcGee Moderator

Musician
    All good.
    @Takeshi hit me up, got a PCB on the way :chewie:

sandungas and TnA like this.
  3. 42
    wisi

wisi Member

Yes and no. If, in theory we could go in SIO2MAN, that would make things a lot simpler. But for programs like OPL, where the SIO2MAN IRX comes from the game, this is not possible without patching.
    I still haven't tested the code I proposed for more compatible interrupting of ongoing transfers of other SIO2 devices. If that works, then we won't have to worry about this. If that doesn't work, then the only way to make things not interfere with each-other will be SIO2MAN integration / patching, and I really hope we don't have to resort to that.

I have done many tests on the SIO2 interface and I don't think there is an feature to detect insertion/removal, other than simply transferring data, etc. (There is also the ACK line that has to be driven active at the end of each transferred byte AFAIR, else the transfer will fail, which is why we have it constantly connected in that state.)

This cannot be avoided. The bits in each byte are in reverse order, so they need to be reversed, or it won't work on a PC (or anything else) then.
    This is mostly what the driver is currently doing. This is why it is using PIO and not DMA. DMA requires having all bytes with bits order already reversed, so it actually makes the transfers really slow.

The current driver reverses the bits order of the bytes in one word, then sends it, and while it is being sent, it reverses the next word. Also the fact that it is done in word pieces, makes it faster per-byte.
    And even if this is done, the SIO2 is *still* too slow! So there is time left, which is why I added the fast asm CRC code, which only slows-down things a little bit.
    In fact I am so certain that this is the maximum possible speed of this interface that I am very keen on seeing anybody achieving a higher speed, if possible.

I don't know what we will see on a PPC-IOP. I really hope it is not lower speeds.

Are the above tests with CRC enabled or disabled?

I copied it from that same website you found, back in our first discussion about this on psx-scene.com. But I don't remember the website.
    I am quite certain that the code doing the transfers is mostly OK.
    The part I am having doubts about is the initialization. There may be more steps needed there and some changes as well. This may improve compatibility with some cards.
    The problem is that we have no way of giving the card clocks without having the /CS line active low. An MCU can help with this. I think this may be one of the reasons for the incompatibility.

But yes, maybe we can use that new code, as long as it doesn't makes the driver too big, as in the case of OPL, this is a requirement too.

There are some workarounds I had to do, to make SIO2 compatible with the SD SPI interface transfer specs - mainly related to the inability to easily transfer single bytes.

4. 1,514
    TnA

TnA Senior Member

My Adapter with a personal notice "von Takeshi für TnA" and (chip-side) "Prototype #3" and 2 PCBs arrived!

Yehaa! :chewie:

spademytal, uyjulian and Fin9ersMcGee like this.
  5. 33
    Takeshi

Takeshi Forum Noob

electrical engineer
    Home Page:
    How about connecting the reistor to ground onl if a SD card is inserted? You still have to send data to get the state, but you don't need to read the data.

The read speed on the PS2 is the most important thing. Either a special PC software is used for copying process or a PS2 software swaps the bytes after the transfer. This will take time, but after that the speed is increased.

TnA likes this.
  6. 1,227
    Fin9ersMcGee

Fin9ersMcGee Moderator

Musician
    More of a suggestion than a request.
    But what are the possibilities of running FMCB from this card? Would be an amazing solution for exploiting and also would be an all in one solution for ps2, a plug and play memory card that also contains content.
    Pretty cool "library in you top pocket" allowing for instant gaming on any ps2, wherever you might be that day lol

TnA likes this.
  7. 33
    Takeshi

Takeshi Forum Noob

electrical engineer
    Home Page:
    None. The SD card can only be adressen through homebrew so you need FMCB before. If it's possible, then with other hardware.

TnA likes this.
  8. 1,227
    Fin9ersMcGee

Fin9ersMcGee Moderator

Musician
    If an original ps2 memory card was retrofited with an SD card slot and a switch to to change between the 2, FMCB could be used before switching to SD?
    Or some kind of IC that contains the FMCB payload to start before it switches to SD?

This maybe too much work for the return of only using one memory card though

TnA likes this.
  9. 1,514
    TnA

TnA Senior Member

Yes, both "modification of an MC" and an "extended version" with MCU and Debug-Capabilities has been talked about and might be the 3rd board-revision.

However! For the second PCB, some other things are planned which do not include the hardware, to pull that off!
    However, it has long been a dream for multiple people, hence it might come true once upon in time!

Fin9ersMcGee likes this.
  10. 244
    uyjulian

uyjulian Developer

If the MCU is used (on a future revision of the board), it is possible to program the MCU to change the communication protocol.
    If MagicGate is to be used on the MCU (example: for usage of FMCB or DVD player), it would require side loading of the MagicGate keys due to them being copyrighted.

Fin9ersMcGee and TnA like this.
  11. 1,514
    TnA

TnA Senior Member

Technically we only need to emulate certain stuff like ack/response, MG-Auth and MCID!

The MC itself doesn't include the MagicGate Keys to my knowledge!

12. 1,227
    Fin9ersMcGee

Fin9ersMcGee Moderator

Musician
    I'm not sure which revision I'll be receiving....

13. 1,514
    TnA

TnA Senior Member

The first Prototype-PCB, because no others have been produced yet.
    There are only 20 of these, so you got one of the first 20, out of the very first prototype-batch!
    Keep it honored and remember it, when the Chinese sell millions of a copy of it! :P

Fin9ersMcGee likes this.
  14. 244
    uyjulian

uyjulian Developer

Another use case of MCU would be a filesystem layer.
    It would be possible to allow the PS2 side to communicate to the MCU on the device in a contingent fashion instead of calculating offsets based on fragmented blocks, so no defragmentation for Open PS2 Loader would be necessary.

TnA likes this.
  15. 1,514
    TnA

TnA Senior Member

True!

I hope we can use one with 32KB+, because that would give us some more room for a "firmware".

If it is fast enough, it could even do the Byte-switching for us and hence increase performance/bandwidth even more!!!

spademytal, ted209 and Fin9ersMcGee like this.
  16. 1,227
    Fin9ersMcGee

Fin9ersMcGee Moderator

Musician
    I'm honoured

Takeshi and TnA like this.
  17. 1,514
    TnA

TnA Senior Member

Last edited: May 23, 2020
    spademytal likes this.
  18. 42
    wisi

wisi Member

I have some vague recollection of trying that, but it didn't work for some reason - made transfers fail or something, (but in an undetectable way, or maybe it was making them hang and not complete) so it wasn't a good way of detecting insertion. Or maybe it will work... I am not sure - if anyone can test that - do so.

Because the bits in the byte are reversed while waiting for the next SIO2 word to be received, this shouldn't be making the transfer any slower.

'This card' is at all not a Memory Card - in fact, it could even connect through the controller ports, but we are limited by the transfer speed there. So it is not at all like a PS2 MC.
    To support FMCB, it would have to support MagicGate, which is difficult for more reasons than one. I considered this (earlier in the thread) and TnA suggested it long ago, but in the end, it is a very demanding feature.
    For the time being, it is important to make the base structure - make it stable and fast, and if later, it turns out that MG on an MCU is feasible/possible at all, that could be considered too.
    See uyjulian's post:
    Interesting idea. The trick here is that the MCU will be between two SIO interfaces, with the PS2 being the master, so I think this might reduce the maximum speed, but who knows...
    For now, the idea with a simple MCU is that it won't actually be able to change the data at all, and it will only switch the card's /CS, depending on whether the packets coming from SIO2 are for this device or a normal PS2 MC.
    But yes, with this simple MCU, it will be possible to have a PS2 MC connected in parallel and use the same slot for both (the MCU will have to switch the PS2 MC's /CS too.

Again this is for the case of a bigger MCU, which has the data passing through it. While the case with a small MCU assumes that although it can communicate with the PS2 when the SD card is disabled, it cannot change what the SD card is sending or receiving.

Algol, Takeshi, TnA and 2 others like this.
  19. 33
    Takeshi

Takeshi Forum Noob

electrical engineer
    Home Page:
    Then I will test it for my own, too. If the test programm works, I see no reason to not inlude it into the hardware. That doesn't force the software to use it, if it creates problems.

Of course, I see ... and between to packages there is enough time for reading the data from SD and manipulate it.

TnA likes this.
  20. 18
    e.v.o

e.v.o Forum Noob

It's here! Got 2 PCBs. Will try to assemble it today and then i could do some testing and hopefully help this great project :)

Takeshi, Fin9ersMcGee and TnA like this.