Slim CPU bracket screw alternative

Discussion in 'Hardware Mods' started by Chino Moreno, Aug 13, 2019.

1. 12
    Chino Moreno

Chino Moreno Forum Noob

So I have a slim model 2012a that had poor threads in the heatsink. Long story short. I broke one of the screws and had to drill it out.

I went online and found that only a few sellers are selling the bracket and screws for this particular model.

I also looked for shoulder screws and found none avail in my local hardware websites.

My question is, whatc I use in place of it? I was thinking m3 screws with washers. Any important things I should take note of?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

2. 5,753
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

Well, you are going very technical, so i guess you know what im going to say...
    To do it well you need a kit like this tool (i dont know the name in english):
    [​IMG]

First you drill the hole, then use that tool to "sculpt" the thread inside it
    And after that use a bolt that fits, the excess of lenght of the bolt doesnt matters because you can cut it
    what matters is the diameter... note the motherboard have holes and the bolt passes throught it.. thats the max diameter you can use

3. 12
    Chino Moreno

Chino Moreno Forum Noob

Thanks man. Yeah its called tap in the tap and die set. Was wondering if the shoulders of the original has a much larger purpose aside from just placing its base on the mobo.
    Also if someone can point me to the perfect alternative that I could easily find. Ifixit mentions that this is a 14.8 mm shoulder screw.

4. 5,753
    sandungas

With the "shoulders" you mean this parts ?
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-PlayS...-Genuine-Replacement-Part-JAPAN-/143202201692
    [​IMG]
    Are bent (and are made of stainless steel with a high carbone alloy i guess to preserve the bending)
    And mechanically that bending makes them work as springs... note the bolts doesnt have adjustment... you just need to screw the bolts to the max... and the pressure is given by this clamps
    There is no need to use washers on them btw

5. 5,753
    sandungas

Sorry when i wrote this i was thinking in the original bolts... the originals doesnt needs adjustment because his "body" have 2 different diameters

But if you are going to use "custom" bolts i guess is needed to take care about heights

6. 12
    Chino Moreno

Chino Moreno Forum Noob

Yeah you're right. Thanks sandungas. I will try out my custom bolts and see if i can report some good news. Apparently the screws for the slim 300 are different, i think, from the 2000 and the 2500. Mine are black and are either sold out or ridiculously expensive.

7. 5,753
    sandungas

Btw, while writing my previous post i had an idea about how to "mimick" the original bolts with that special "body" made with 2 diameters...

The idea is to use a nomal bolt + a small tube covering only half of the bolt
    This way the small tube limits the height very well, and you can screw the bolt to the max

Not sure where is the easyer way to finf that small metal tubes from backyard... but a copper tube could be ok (thought copper can be deformed so easilly)
    Second alternative is to try to find a pencil made of metal... but this is going to have an excesive diameter :/
    Dunno, maybe you have something at home to recycle, is just an small tube :D

-----------
    *Btw that metal clamps have a squared piece of plastic (located in between the clamp and the motherboard, in the center)
    That piece is intended to spread the pressure into a big squared area... also to prevent short circuits in between the metal clamp and the motherboard

Not sure if you have that plastic pieces, but you need them
    Incase you dont have them i guess can be made with a plastic piece

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  8. 12
    Chino Moreno

Chino Moreno Forum Noob

Wonderful tips. Let me look into the tube idea. Maybe some nylon bolts. I was actually thinking just using regular smaller than 6mm bolts to act as shoulders. Then add washers to adjust the height.

This is the third time ive opened up the ps3 and can see the plastic you are referring to as somewhat part of the main motherboard. It does not detach. One less headache i guess.

So after our chat i got a cheap tap and die set. Threaded one of the nuisance screws. Shouldve done this before i forced the screw in. Smh

Thank you, sandungas. Appreciate it. Ill report back what i did if it works.

9. 5,753
    sandungas

I made a drawing
    [​IMG]

The most important part you need to worry is the height of what i painted in red... is a "tube" that limits the distance in between the metal shield and the heatsink
    But the tube doesnt touches the motherboard (painted in green)... lets say the motherboard is like "floating" in the middle of the sandwich
    The point is that you need to keep that same distance exactly like the original, there is people in the forum opening his PS3, they can tell you exactly that distance

And the piece i painted in dark blue is the clamp, that is bent

10. 5,753
    sandungas

littlebalup likes this.
  11. 1,181
    littlebalup

littlebalup Developer PSX-Place Supporter

Your "tube" is technically called a "spacer bush". ;)

And a small mistake in your picture. The spacer must be in contact under the bolt head and cross the clamp (blue) and the top shield (grey) in add of the board.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    Algol and sandungas like this.
  12. 5,753
    sandungas

Hmmm, yes, i didnt realized about it, but when i did read your post only took me a few seconds to realize you are right
    If someone have doubts... just think in how is made the original bold, the head is connected with the section of the body with bigger diameter :)

I mean.... in my drawing... the "tube" painted in red can be painted in black and filled with black inside... and thats how the original is made
    So... i guess we can say the metal shield at the back is also "floating" at that point

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  13. 5,753
    sandungas

Ok, fixed, for the record :encouragement:
    [​IMG]

Algol and littlebalup like this.
  14. 12
    Chino Moreno

Chino Moreno Forum Noob

Wow. Thank you for the effort. If my measurements are correct, the distance of the shoulder between bracket and heatsink is somewhere around 8mm. And the one below that sinks into the heatsink is maybe around 6mm. I bought a 16mm m3 and will simply make use of washers to get more or less a 14mm useable length.

Based on your diagram of custom bolt, it's safe to no longer create an improvised shoulder? I feel the screw will slowly try to tilt while it's being screwed in against the brackets tension without some sort of pillar support on the body.

15. 5,753
    sandungas

Not sure what to say, too many technical terms in english, are making me doubt what you mean
    One of most important things i dont understand is where you want to place the washers ?, i guess around the bolt obviouslly to create that "spacer bush" as littlebalup called it (or the metal tube i was mentioning)

The problem is... the external diameter of that washers should be smaller than the diameter of the hole in the motherboard... this way you can make like a "column" with the washers that goes throught the hole of the motherboard without touching it

If you have taken meassures and found washers that fits... then yeah washers are much better than the tube i was suggesting because they can hold a lot more pressure

16. 12
    Chino Moreno

Chino Moreno Forum Noob

Actually the washers will be serve as my nail head, so it can sit on top of the bracket holes. Because the bracket hole is approx 5mm wide. Second purpose of the washers is to adjust the height. It's hard to find an exact m3 14.8mm, that's where the washers come in. I am not going to use the washers in place of the original shoulders. Your pencil idea is actually the thing I have never thought about and might implement.
    You've given me tons of input. Thank you sir.