PS3 (Solved) 60GB Backwards compatible dead then revived!

Discussion in 'Hardware Mods' started by TheSureShot, Nov 16, 2019.

1. 19
    TheSureShot

TheSureShot Forum Noob

IT Techy
    Hey everyone recently a month ago or so my fat ps3 died , 60gb backwards compatible, (CECHC03) I read on a forum that there was a way to revive it.
    I'll go through what happened and any help is appreciated thanks in advance!
    At the time it was running 4.84 cfw Rebug Cex
    I couldn't access anything online when 4.85 came out so for the time being I was going to update via the Ps3's download function and then reinstate the exploit to run cfw again, (I use cfw for single player mods & backups)

It downloaded the update and then it was applying the update but got stuck 50% in and threw up an error code, restarted the system several times and nothing, it stayed in this continuous loop, I then had the idea to restore the system in safe mode, this then semi bricked the system, no video signal and after leaving it turned on for about 30 seconds it would beep and turn off with a red flashing light I think when I did this it removed the OS portion on the HDD

Whatever I do in safe mode nothing works , tried multiple HDD'S that are confirmed working and still nothing it would throw up The serious error code 800xxxx and to contact technical support, and sometimes it would say "cannot access storage" or "appropriate storage was not found" even though I could hear the HDD spinning up referring back to the forum I found it mentioned if I have another ps3 system I could put said HDD into the working ps3, and restore it that way, although I'm not sure

If anyone could give insight on this I'd be super thankful, I picked up a cheap fat ps3 that's now on 4.85 the 60gb's nand would technically still be 4.84 would that cause any problems?
    All I want is my PS2 collection back in 1080p :( F
    If anymore infomation needed please ask
    Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2019
  2. 5,904
    atreyu187

atreyu187 Old Hunter Moderator

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:
    The error code could give us a bit more to go on but could be a few things. Also next time you are on CFW never go back to OFW. Just install the latest CFW via USB. From the sounds of it though you may need a hardware flasher as it seems the FW was corrupted somehow. Others can chime in on this.

3. 19
    TheSureShot

TheSureShot Forum Noob

IT Techy
    Hi thanks for replying I just checked it's showing error 8002f281, and from now on, I'll make sure to only keep on cfw and not revert to ofw, I have a 40gb Thicc boy that's CECHJ03, I'll keep that on ofw for online use if I can get my 60gb back and operational.

4. 19
    TheSureShot

TheSureShot Forum Noob

IT Techy
    Update: on this post, ( https://forums.demigodthegame.com/386771/) it mentions shorting the PRAM pins to reset the bios and then restoring the HDD via safe mode , I've took apart the system, short the bios pins & applied fresh thermal paste fingers crossed

Attached Files:

5. 6,088
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

You should insist in the hdd... or the power supply (because it feeds the hdd power line)
    So... keep trying replacing the hdd's and formating them... or try a different power supply

6. 19
    TheSureShot

TheSureShot Forum Noob

IT Techy
    That's something I haven't thought about, I have a spare PSU that I suppose I can test, from my CECHJ, it should still fit right? They didn't change anything on the Fat Ps3's in terms of PSU's? Or did they just change board revisions cause from what I see they look the same, just different board layout

7. 1,783
    Naked_Snake1995

Naked_Snake1995 Senior Member

Graphic Designer
    They did, the only one you can still fit its the APS-231 from CECHG Models, after that its all 4/3 Pin 5V Rails, unless you convert the 5V Rail yourself.

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

8. 5,904
    atreyu187

atreyu187 Old Hunter Moderator

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:
    That is the one I used in my CECHB-01 model. Also grabbed the 19 blade fan just because I know that didn't make any difference but the newer PSU did help keep temps down.

9. 19
    TheSureShot

TheSureShot Forum Noob

IT Techy
    Righty then, I haven't had the time to properly start working on it to hopefully diagose the problem , I shall start with what @sandungas advised, it's the simplest route and hopefully it springs back to life I really don't want to rebuild the Nand if that's the actual problem, I remember the PSU was strong, never had any shut downs or indications that would point to the PSU, but if it comes to it ill grab one, I have a couple spare 2.5" HDD'S that work fine from a few PS3's two 160GB drives and one 320GB, I'll pop them in tomorrow and I'll report back , thanks for all the help guys , amazing!

10. 6,088
    sandungas

I mentioned the hdd's because im not so sure what you did with them exactly, and how many different hdd's you tryed, but there is no need to go crazy with them

Basically, you need to be sure the hdd is not recognized as a "PS3 hdd" when you plug it to the PS3
    In other words... you need to wipe the data on the first sectors of the hdd, and there are several different ways to achieve that
    The easyer way is by formating them in PC, make a single partition with the whole capacity of the hdd, and use any filesystem (the filesystem doesnt matters because the PS3 is going to refuse all them)

The point is... the first time you boot the PS3 with the hdd, it should not be able to find any data generated by a PS3 because that data generated by a PS3 could be problematic, we dont want the PS3 to load it

-------------------------
    And for the PSU... is something that is related with everything so it worths to check it before going into other risky "surgery" with the solder iron lol

For the tests you can use a PC ATX PSU, this way you dont need to spend money buying a PS3 PSU blindly (without knowing if the new PSU is going to fix the problem)
    There are a couple of tutorials in the forum, but are not for PS3 FAT, im going to post the links just for curiosity sake because the concept is the same
    https://www.psx-place.com/threads/tutorial-connect-atx-power-supply-to-ps3.17180/
    https://www.psx-place.com/threads/tutorial-fully-working-atx-psu-mod.22214/

About the PSU compatibility... usually one of the factors to know if the PSU model is compatible with your PS3 is the geometry and dimmensions of it... in other words if the PSU fits inside your PS3
    But that doesnt matters for you, because you just want to make a temporal test

What you need to check is if the connectors are the same, check in this table, at the columns named "control pins", and "12v plugs"
    https://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/Power_Supply#PSU_Model_.40_SKU_compatiblity

Another rule is the "watts per rail", basically the new PSU needs to be "equal or bigger" watts than the original
    Having more watts is ok, not a problem, the PS3 will work perfect
    Having less watts depends... most probably the PS3 is going to work fine under low workload, but the games/firmware will crash under heavy workload

TheSureShot likes this.
  11. 19
    TheSureShot

TheSureShot Forum Noob

IT Techy
    Thanks for getting back to me , I'm currently wiping the 320GB drive as ntfs using the diskpart command on windows , rebuilt the system and placed the case and everything back on, now it just the moment of truth , so in theory when I pop the hdd in , and go to safe mode to restore file system & rebuild the database, it will install the firmware back onto the hdd from the nand? I'm just asking because I have no idea where my usb drive is.

Thanks again for all the help, truly an oustanding community that I want to be a part of! :)

12. 6,088
    sandungas

When you boot the PS3 wit the formatted hdd is going to try to find some "PS3 data" located in the first sectors of the hdd, and is not going to find any, so is going to show you a warning text telling you the hdd need to be formatted by the PS3

Not sure if your PS3 have NAND or NOR flash type (when talking about it in forums you should mention the model starting with CECH-????)
    Incase of NAND thats all... you acept the warning to format the hdd and the process should complete and take you into XMB
    Incase of NOR is going to show you another additional warning to install the firmware from USB

13. 19
    TheSureShot

TheSureShot Forum Noob

IT Techy

@sandungas I have good news, it's working now it's Nand system , luckily by the time I got to set it up and restore it to 4.84.2 Rebug Cex unit firmware it had everything as a fresh install on a nice 320GB drive i salvaged from my old slim I had from new.

I ended up giving away a perfectly working unit to my family member ends up getting dropped from a height and killed the unit but nothing seemed broke ended up stripping it I still have the case for that slim I'm gonna challenge myself to build a functioning 2001A unit

Sorry for my rant I'm overjoyed I'm on my break from work will show pics of what I have now will take more if desired when I get the next chance :)

Thanks for all the help everyone wouldn't have done it without you all :D

P.s I grabbed a pic with fb messenger in due course with a message lol , that's for the curious recived file name! Have a free meme thrown in too, my CECHJ having a break running black ops 1 , if you get the smoking referance for the odd few , big props bit of a shoutout

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
    sandungas likes this.
  14. 6,088
    sandungas

Nice you fixed it, so it was he hdd :)
    You can do some test in the old hdd to see if it has healty SMART info, and a surface scan to detect "vague" sectors, this would give you a confirmation that the hdd was damaged... anyway initially you should not use that hdd for anything serious because (by now) doesnt seems relliable

The other PS3 that was dropped probably needs a reballing, is typicall but is not so easy to explain why it happens, is related with dynamic forces :D
    What happens is... when the PS3 hits the floor the heatsink metal block "pulls" from the CELL and RSX and it "squeezes" his solder balls, this usually "cracks" some of them (or worst it lifts some pads of them)
    If you still have that Ps3 you can make a test, dissassembly the heatsink clamps at the back, bend them a bit more, and assemble the PS3. This adds more pressure on the heatsink assembly and could help a cracked solder ball to do the electrical connection on the cracked ball
    If the Ps3 works normally like that... well.. you know, it needs a reballing (and dont use the PS3 because is going to fail again if you keep using it). This is not a fix, is just a test that could help you to find where is the problem

\o/ @ the photo of the PS3 smoking a cigar

TheSureShot likes this.
  15. 19
    TheSureShot

TheSureShot Forum Noob

IT Techy
    Thanks for all the advice everyone, special thanks to you @sandungas for all the wizzardry advice you have on hand, for the 3001B, I have all the parts in a box somewhere , I'll find them out and do as you advised, for the reballing I could put the motherboard on a baking try in the oven for 10 minutes or so and reflow everything? Or will I need a heat gun to reballing the Chips? As i dont have a heat gun to hand, that's my only question on this :)

What a journey it's been , now that I've been helped I'll contribute on the forums regularly :D
    Thanks again!

sandungas likes this.
  16. 6,088
    sandungas

For a reballing is need to take it to someone with a good reballing machine, the procedure consists in desoldering CELL/RSX, clean the old solder, and solder them again with new solder balls
    I mentioned it because is a serious repair, incase you are lucky it could make the PS3 to return to work perfect

What you are suggesting is named a reflow, just by applying hot air, is a low quality repair but could work, everything depends of how much you appreciate that PS3
    If you dont care much about the PS3 you could try a reflow
    But dont do it in a oven, is going to melt all the plastics
    You need to do it with a heat gun (or a hair dryer ?) trying to push hot air under CELL/RSX from the sides
    And you need to protect all the surroundings with something... alluminium tape or something like that
    Also, is needed to "wet" the solder balls with liquid "flux" before heating it

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  17. 19
    TheSureShot

TheSureShot Forum Noob

IT Techy
    I
    It looks like I'll take it to the a local shop, I had it from new when I was like , 14 it's centimental , but I've come into a deal with two YLOD'd CECH03's so they'll need to be done properly too.

Tags: