PS3 (Solved) Habib 4.81 to Rebug 4.82.2 Rex

Discussion in 'Help & Support' started by Eivanbarnes, Oct 18, 2018.

1. 5
    Eivanbarnes

Eivanbarnes Forum Noob

Hi guys im new here.. im just wondering if i can change my cfw via system storage? Habib 4.81 to Rebug Rex 4.82 without losing anything?

2. 392
    imkira3

imkira3 Member

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ) Chillin like a Krillin
    Home Page:
    Hello, welcome to psx-place! First of all, never just copy files via system storage to update. You should be able to update from most CFW to a newer version of a different CFW via the USB update method, but if I were you I would wait for a response from somebody who has actually updated from Habib to Rebug before. In the meantime, please don't do anything rash.

3. 5
    Eivanbarnes

Eivanbarnes Forum Noob

Ok thank you for your reply! Ill wait for someone then :)

imkira3 likes this.
  4. 392
    imkira3

imkira3 Member

Home Page:
    @DeViL303 are there any compatibility issues when upgrading from Habib 4.81 to Rebug REX 4.82.2? Is there a thread or wiki I can reference for compatibility issues? I have never been on Habib, Rebug always seemed like the best choice.

Btw @Eivanbarnes it would probably help if you edited more details into the title of your post. The title generally lets the other members know your issue so the people who know best about a given issue can help. Everybody here has their own specialties.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
  5. 3,336
    Cypher_CG89

Cypher_CG89 Senior Member

Lead Graphic Artist/Dev, VENOM ELITE GAMING
    Home Page:
    Yes you should be able to update from Habib to Rebug installing like any other CFW without issues. You would only get issues if you were on DEX as you would first need to convert back to CEX before installing the update.

System Storage is basically your CFW update data stored on your internal HDD without having to insert a USB Flash drive everytime for use at any time such as if you are modding your PS3 system in anyway and you accidentally soft brick it or cause other such errors.

You can also use this to store multiple different CFWs or versions of them for easy swapping and installation.
    For example: REBUG 4.81 REX, ReEBUG 4.82 REX, HABiB CEX 4.82, FERROX CEX 4.82 cobra 7.55... And you just go to 'System Update' and select 'via System Storage' instead of 'via USB Storage Device' or 'via Intenet'. Then all you is select the one you want. You can Also remnane them so you can identify each one instead of having 'PS3UPDAT.PUP' as the name as you must when updating using a USB Flash Drive for example renaming it to what it actually is : e.g 'REBUG 4.82.2 REX Cobra 7.55'

To do this you first need to place the update data you want in the correct directory on your HDD. You can do this with any Backup Manger with a 'File Manger' option such as MultiMAN,webMAN, IrisMAN etc...

I will explain using MultiMAN:

1. First enter MultiMAN and find the 'MultiMAN' or 'mmCM' column next to the 'Settings' column and select 'File Manager/mmOS'
    2. Next select 'PS3 Root' folder in the top left hand corner of the screen and then select 'dev_hdd0'
    3. Next scoll down and find 'updater' and open this folder.
    4. Once in this folder we need to create new folders for each update or CFW so they show up on the 'via System Storage' menu. While the curser is hovering over the folder window press 'O' and select 'Create New Folder' and label it as '01'
    5. Inside the folder you can place the PUP update file and rename it to whatever you want. I recommend labelling it to what it is as i mentioed above. 'REBUG 4.82.2 REX COBRA 7.55' (or FERROX or whatever you are using)
    Now the update will show up in the 'via System Storage' menu and you need not use a USB flash drive to update. If you want to add more CFW's then continue to create new folders in that directory and label them '02, 03...etc. You can put as many as 10 in. And also the version will automatically beside them so including the version in the name (4.82.2) isn't really necessary, I do this just in case there is any glitch and also as I have many different CFW's and versions stored on an external HDD in one folder for testing various projects i work on and its easier to find and transfer them to the PS3.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
    nCadeRegal and imkira3 like this.
  6. 392
    imkira3

imkira3 Member

Home Page:
    Very thorough and informative, I never knew you could update from the hard drive. Good to know in case something happens to my USB port, I'll have to start keeping an emergency update for recovery on the HDD.

nCadeRegal likes this.
  7. 1,500
    nCadeRegal

nCadeRegal Moderator

Good advice cypher, only thing i would add is to make sure the is never a disc in the drive, and also to enable q and a flag. Disc in drive will always end on on ofw in the end and q and a flag allows you to jump from any firmware to another without the hassle of downgrading.

Cypher_CG89 likes this.
  8. 3,336
    Cypher_CG89

Home Page:
    @nCadeRegal

Good call, didn't think to add that as I always have QA Flags on. Just tested the disc in the drive as i am not being funny sounded but strange that a disc would that priority over a USB. The USB took priority and should always take priority as long as its inserted into USB000 (The right hand one) even in 'Recovery' (Safe Mode).

USB first, Then a game disk if you don't have a USB flash drive and this would just be for in 'Recovery' as on the XMB you choose your option and 'Storage Media' doesn't scan game disc's.

Are you sure your not thinking of disabling the 'Auto Update' as that would scan game discs as soon as you start the game. (That used to really get on my nerves when you'd just bought a new game back in the day then it forced the update on you)

@imkira3

You can't update via the HDD in 'Recovery' (Safe Mode). Forgot to put that in, You can only use this via the 'System Update' menu on the XMB as its a CFW add on and 'Recovery' still operates like OFW. But still its extremely handy to have.

But you have give me an idea to try now, Recovery via HDD would be very handy to have as is your USB ports are shot then you have to use a game disc and then end up on OFW. not sure if a burned DVD-RW with the CFW would work or BD-R for that matter. Don't even know if it would be possible as the point of 'Recovery' its to use as little hardware as possible to restore the system.

Still worth looking into though.

9. 7,851
    bguerville

bguerville Moderator

Did you test on OFW?

On CFW, any such tests are likely to fail because updates from BD disc are usually patched due to accidental OFW update issues back when only a hardware flasher could bring jailbreak back.

10. 9,300
    STLcardsWS

STLcardsWS Administrator

That is a cobra feature added by @_NzV_ if i recall correctly.
    not sure which version of cobra that was introduced in..

11. 3,336
    Cypher_CG89

Home Page:
    @imkira3

You can also transfer the update date from USB to the HDD via the XMB as well but obviously it wont be labelled what you want so you would still have to use a back up manager. Here's a couple of pics of it.

DSC_0019.JPG DSC_0020.JPG

12. 392
    imkira3

imkira3 Member

Home Page:
    Oh I didn't mean recovery mode, just recovery in general assuming the PS3 could still load the XMB, for less system-breaking issues. I am wondering now though if it's possible to alter the way recovery mode works, but I wouldn't want to be the one to experiment with that lol, could you imagine fucking up recovery mode? Talk about fucked lol then you would forsure need a hardware flasher.

Well, is that feature really needed in cobra anymore on firmware 4.81 and 4.82? It sounds like more of a hindrance at that point for anyone with dead USB drives. It would be nice to be able to update from the blueray drive in the event the USB drive failed, what sort of circumstances might cause an accidental OFW update due to a disc in the drive? I wouldn't want to just alter cobra and wind up on OFW a lot. But I guess it doesn't matter, you couldn't recover via blueray in recovery mode, and if you can boot normally you could probably use Filezilla or MultiMAN or simply the XMB transfer method you mentioned to prep the system for an HDD update.

13. 392
    imkira3

imkira3 Member

Home Page:
    But wouldn't it be interesting if you could update via LAN though? I doubt it would be that hard either, you could simply alter where the internet update method searches for updates, or even add a new menu option, basically a clone of the internet update method altered in such a way. That would be useful in a variety of different ways, like skipping transferring the update data from your computer at all! :) That would be very handy indeed. What files would I have to alter to add such a feature?

Editing the internet update feature would be a good idea in any case, to prevent accidental update to a new OFW.

I might just tinker around with the recovery mode option too, in the winter I can use my overheating POS L01 model, I really don't care what happens to that PS3 now that I have a slim, and I'll be restoring my A01 eventually too, if I can get through a month without another ridiculous vet bill.

14. 7,851
    bguerville

bguerville Moderator

You could already do that using a local proxy redirecting the PS3UPDAT.PUP official URL requests from the ps3 to a local http server serving the PUP of your choice. ;)

imkira3 likes this.
  15. 392
    imkira3

imkira3 Member

Home Page:
    Lol, I thought something like that might be possible, but I never redirected anything in such a fashion before. By that logic, couldn't you redirect requests for a pkg demo in the store to install pkg files on an OFW system? If possible, it might be a handy option after sony patches the new jailbreak method.

16. 7,851
    bguerville

bguerville Moderator

Yes. In theory, any http request can be redirected by a proxy. That includes any file download request. However on OFW, unless the memory is patched, only official npdrm pkg files can be installed.

17. 392
    imkira3

imkira3 Member

Home Page:
    Well then that begs the question, are all the pkg files in the store listed locally, in the app? If not, it might be possible to create an entire store full of custom pkg files like MultiMAN and such for OFW users. How does the app resign things for your account? Surely there must be safeguards against manipulating the store to install custom software. Man, how cool would it be to make an entire cfw store? Damn, the idea is giving me a virtual boner lmao

Could be a great option for super slim users

18. 392
    imkira3

imkira3 Member

Home Page:
    You know what, even if the store does store each link locally, you could still use it to install many different cfw files with ease, assuming you could get past any safeguards. You would just have to assign different demo links to different pkg files. It wouldn't be as cool, since you couldn't change images or titles or anything listed on the main screen, but you could still use the different demo links to download different demo files. Then all a user would have to do is be sure to install the right demo, redirect http requests, and download a sort of cfw store pack to their computer.

I think I should dedicate my time to this after I finish my current project. This idea is just too cool!

19. 7,851
    bguerville

bguerville Moderator

The update pkg filenames/URLs are not stored on ps3, in the game files or in the OS.

I have not checked whether every single step I am about to describe is 100% correct but overall the process will be extremely similar if it's not identical. You should be able to adjust to any slight difference easily.

On launching a game, the param.sfo file from your current game installation on /dev_hdd0/game is read to extract the version number/gameid, a query is then sent to the update servers to find out whether it is the latest version available for the gameid. If so, the game launches, if not, the response to the query must contain the latest pkg update file name, the OS must use it to send a new request to the update server, this time it would be a download request for the update pkg.
    It is this request you would need to redirect with a proxy.

1. Install a proxy like Charles on PC & set your ps3 to use it. Don't redirect any URL yet, just ensure that all http traffic to Internet is going through & being logged.

2. Install a game installed from disc that has at least one official update available.

3. Launch & update the game normally.

4. Check the proxy log for the download request

5. Create a new proxy rule to redirect the update pkg download URL to your own pkg served by any http server on your LAN or on the Internet.

6. Uninstall the game update from XMB.

7. Launch game & update. In theory, your pkg should get downloaded & installed on OFW as long as it is a valid npdrm pkg.

Good luck with the testing, let us know your findings. ;)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
    imkira3 likes this.
  20. 392
    imkira3

imkira3 Member

Home Page:
    Oh boy will I ever! Installing MultiMAN on OFW is just too cool for school! I'm sure there will be inevitable incompatibility issues and limitations with running CFW software on an OFW system, but this sounds like a great starting point for getting custom software on an OFW system. Thanks for the advice man! Now I just gotta find a custom pkg that won't be too incompatible to run on OFW for my tests. Perhaps something simple like an NES emulator.