Start fresh, Clean slate

Discussion in 'PS3 Jailbreak CFW and PS3HEN' started by Spawn, Feb 17, 2018.

1. 601
    Spawn

Spawn Member

So today I'll be wiping my 1tb ps3 currently on Rebug 4.81.2.

The reason is that since I got it, I've been trying lots of different stuff on it, modifying flash files etc etc...

I use my PS3 for playing backups (PS3 & PS2) plus I like to fool around with different mods and shiny add-ons.

Now I'm at the crossroads..

1a. Should I stay on Rebug 4.81.2 or move on to 4.82 LITE?

1b. Is there any downsides to not using a REX CFW? (I love the ability to use debug commands from the XMB).

1c. As wMM is No longer part of Rebug, should I use sMan instead or stick to wMM? (What's the actual pros & cons in usong either one?).

2a. Should I slap a smaller HDD internally and play my backups from the 1tb drive externally?

2b. What's the pros & cons of using external vs internal HDD for backups?

2c. If I play games from external HDD, can I use it on my other CFW consoles without issues (if they run the same CFW or not)?

Thanks in advance for any advice. :)

2. 601
    Spawn

Spawn Member

I'll go ahead and answer some of these myself. ;)
    Please chime in if you have a different pov.

I moved on to try out 4.82. So far no big differences, aside from the missing debug things.

Downside is; no debug features.

I'm using sMan this time around, and it's actually pretty good. Still some things that are missing as compared to wMM, but overall a very good and smooth plugin.

I kept the 1tb drive internally.

???

???

3. 7,669
    DeViL303

DeViL303 Developer PSX-Place Supporter

I would say no, leave the 1tb as internal and buy a 2tb external :D The way I see it, the newer the internal the better as it will have better read speed/reliability.

I think with some games and maybe some HDDs you will notice better performance when reading ISOs off external, its completely variable though, as it would depend on whether the game was trying to read multiple files at once, in theory the console could be reading a file from virtual Flash, Game data , cache and the actual ISO all at the same time and all from the one device. In practice though some games will run better off internal, and then it depends on the USB controller and disk speed of your external. tbh I find using an external way better.

Pros:
    • Way easier to manage your games on PC.
    • Can use on multiple consoles easily
    • When PS3 freezes and you have to turn it off you don't need to worry so much about corrupting a big ISO.
    • Don't have to worry about just PS3 deciding you need to format everything one day due to glitch (it happens)
    • Faster read speed on some games, minimal difference most likely, no hard data on this
    Cons:
    • USB port taken up so only 1 left for most people, and extra wires hanging around. :)
    • faster read speed on some games, minimal difference most likely, no hard data on this.

Yes, Once you have ripped your games to HDD you can use them on any of your CFW consoles, regardless of CFW , unless you go way back to pre 4.21 or something, then you might have issues.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
    ZeroOne, Spawn and UniqueUserName like this.
  4. 601
    Spawn

Spawn Member

I have a NTFS 2tb drive storing my games and pkg's. I have all my backups in folder format tho, so will need to test if it works off of external NTFS drive.

5. 7,669
    DeViL303

afaik folder rips will not work off external NTFS drives with any managers, If you are looking for performance then ISOs are better, reading lots of small files off USB will cause slow down. I think the only reason to use folder rips is if you are modding game files regularly, otherwise ISOs are better all round. This software is good for batch converting if you do decide to go with ISOs http://www.psx-place.com/threads/ps3-iso-tools-has-been-updated-to-v2-2-by-rudi-rastelli.3255/

ChrxnicMods and Spawn like this.
  6. 601
    Spawn

Spawn Member

I will test it, and if it does not work, I'll convert most games to ISO. I have a few games I mod/test mods on, so those I'll keep on internal HDD in folder format.

Btw.. isn't that part of Aldostools?

7. 7,669
    DeViL303

I don't think it is, just has similar name afaik "ps3 tools" vs "ps3 iso tools".

8. 601
    Spawn

Spawn Member

I see.. yes, I believe you're correct. :)

Anyways, will give it a shot later on.

9. 249
    playerkp420

playerkp420 Developer

You should still have Debug Settings on CEX. Just some are not available unless on DEX. But any PS3 with Qa Flag enabled has Debug Settings. http://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/QA_Flagging#Debug_Settings_.28CEX.2FDEX.29

10. 601
    Spawn

Spawn Member

Ah, I see.. I was talking about the options in network column (rebuild database etc etc) and update debug (no debug settings at bottom of xmb settings..

Haven't found them anyways..

11. 49
    ZeroOne

ZeroOne (Formerly kineticUk)

iirc a setting inside rebug toolbox will enable XMB CFW settings (network column stuff) and you can access Debug Settings from XMB using the key combo (L1 + L2 + R1 + R2 + L3 + Down) with Network Settings selected.

DeViL303 and Spawn like this.
  12. 601
    Spawn

Spawn Member

Right. Now I remember. It was a button combo that unlocked that part. ;)

Thanks! :D

ZeroOne likes this.
  13. 6,426
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

A big contra of using an external USB drive is the power comsuption of it, usualy after some months/years of use the power supply of the PS3 starts having problems because some internal components of the power supply related with the 5v rail went damaged
    When this happens the only solution is to buy a new power supply

Additionally... i guess there is some component soldered in main motherboard related with the 5v power lines of the USB ports, this can be damaged too
    In both cases we are talking about damaged electrical components, and this is serious bussiness

This happens specially if the external USB drive has a big power comsumption (because is old, or was not designed to be low powered)

To avoid this problem you can use an intermediate USB HUB... the ones with a power adapter, this way the external USB drive is not "sucking" any power from the PS3

Spawn and DeViL303 like this.
  14. 601
    Spawn

Spawn Member

I actually had the same thought about that. I only have one external HDD that's NOT powered externally, so I'll be using one of the others in case I like the experience. :)

Btw.. does sMan support external NTFS drives?