Dismiss Notice

BEWARE of IMPOSTERS, posing as the PS3Xploit Members/Team:

-PS3Xploit does NOT have a discord channel, some imposter are using one

-If the info can't be found on ps3xploit.com or psx-place.com its fake

-ZuKuTo / OFWModz is one of the fake names of these imposter's are using to represent the PS3xploit team.

Strange problem's with Retroarch on HEN?

Discussion in 'PS3HEN (nonCFW PS3 Models)' started by Major_Pothead92, Jun 14, 2019.

1. 298
    Major_Pothead92

Major_Pothead92 Member

Ok so I've ran into a few strange problems with Retroarch. I'm still on HEN 2.0.0 since I like the minimalist approach. First would be when trying to use MAME. I had Virtua Fighter 2 on my USB (the MAME version) tried launching it with all of the available MAME cores and each time I would just hang on a black screen and have to reset my console. Tried with a few different roms of it and it was the same thing each time. I tested the NES and SNES cores and those worked fine, the first time I tested them... After a reboot and trying to test again to confirm everything was stable, when trying to launch my NES / SNES roms with the same cores I used previously I was greeted with a black screen?...

Second would be a rather strange one that might have to do with the USB ports, or alternatively the Flash Drive that I used. Anyhow, after the resets that I performed due to VF2 failing to launch, I went back into Retroarch and when going to "Load Content" and trying to navigate to my USB, the whole thing just completely froze when selecting my USB. I reset normally (System did the 3 beeps and the green light flashed) and relaunched Retroarch yet again, and ran into the same problem. Resetting normally wasn't working this time so I had to unplug. Ok so that worked, but this time when I rebooted my system again completely froze when I proceeded to enable HEN.

After that event, I figured it'd probably be best to just remove Retroarch from my system. Which I proceeded to do. Did a reboot after that, enabled HEN and everything seemed fine again. This happened a few weeks ago and I never got around to posting a thread, but everything is still fine lol. My question is if anyone else has ran into strange problems with Retroarch on HEN, and if so are they fixed in the current updates that are available? Why wouldn't Virtua Fighter 2 MAME work? Could it have just been the version of Retroarch I was using? One of them that I downloaded from Brewology if I remember correctly gave me an error twice at around 30 - 40%. After that I went with the one from the official site and that installed fine. That was also the one that I experienced these said issues with.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  2. 1,175
    umart666

umart666 Senior Member

although i don't have HEN i'd stick to latest nightly first and if it doesn't work or have any bugs (as nightlies tend to have them) then i'd try with official CEX one.

my suggestion is first simply try another usb or if you don't have one reformat that one with SD card formatter (overwrite and CHS adjustment both checked).and stick to ROMS being on the internal hdd rather than on usb until you get everything working.

3. 298
    Major_Pothead92

Major_Pothead92 Member

There's no ROMS folder on dev_hdd0. This is probably self explanitory but if I manually created the ROMS folder via FTP and put everything there, they'd show up in multiman / retroarch right lol? I've tried with a different USB and it was the same thing, rather an SD card on a phone but it worked the same.

4. 1,175
    umart666

umart666 Senior Member

after you scan the directory,yes (obviously for cores that support that feature and formats of backups).

it's best to simply reinstall whole retroarch,later if you face problems you can try to reset the retroarch by simply deleting .cfg files in retroarch folder.

5. 8,979
    STLcardsWS

STLcardsWS Administrator

You are more then likely not using the correct MAME romset .
    You would need a MAME romset of 0.78

but more importantly , 3d games will have extreme issues on the PS3.
    VF2 will not play.

May of corrupted the CFG file. when powering off.

A delete of the retroarch.cfg file or a delete of the app then a reinstall of the app. .

Brewology i believe does not have the latest RetroArch versions. (edit yes they do they are linked in description)
    Try and download from retroarch.com (using the CFW build)

Major_Pothead92 likes this.