PS3 Super Slim BRICK !!!

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by SiZeNx, Oct 31, 2018.

1. 6,744
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

There is a thread made by @littlebalup about how to read/write the PS3's eMMC flash chips
    https://www.psx-place.com/threads/research-superslim-4000-series-hardware-flash.23224/

But i have doubts about the state of your PS3, i like to move on slowly step by step, starting with the things easyer to check or repair... and im still wondering if your PS3 is working fine and only have a problem related with the video output
    I dont want to insist more in it, but personally i would check again with different TV's, different HDMI cables, and doing different button combos to trigger the special boot modes, also i would check inside the female video connectors of the PS3, maybe they have a pin bent doing a shortcircuit... and other things like that
    As said... im not going to insist in it to you, but i would focus on that and would check all that 400 times before doing anything more risky

Also, dont take it personally, but i have seen long forum discussions where there was several people suggesting things liike "do the boot button combo to reset video"... and that person was saying that he was doing it and reporting "it doesnt works".... but eventually he said "ops i was doing it wrong, now i did the button combo and it works"
    And everybody was like... pfff

-----------
    To me doesnt makes sense because you was not doing anything risky, and sony should have mechanisms to prevent eMMC corruption to happen
    So either that eMMC corruption preventions have failed (i dont think)... or you have a serious hardware problem (damaged solders under CELL or RSX)
    ...or the alternative (most optimistic scenario)... your PS3 is working fine, but doesnt resets video output

Dunno, but by now with the info we have i cant help

2. 93
    Fallen777

Fallen777 Member

Also, dont take it personally, but i have seen long forum discussions where there was several people suggesting things liike "do the boot button combo to reset video"... and that person was saying that he was doing it and reporting "it doesnt works".... but eventually he said "ops i was doing it wrong, now i did the button combo and it works"
    And everybody was like... pfff

\\ No,I am not that dumb i have tried multiple times to hold power button when red at release it after second single beep i know first beep is power on second is video reset and thirdly two rapid beeps mean safe mode \\

To me doesnt makes sense because you was not doing anything risky, and sony should have mechanisms to prevent eMMC corruption to happen
    So either that eMMC corruption preventions have failed (i dont think)... or you have a serious hardware problem (damaged solders under CELL or RSX)
    ...or the alternative (most optimistic scenario)... your PS3 is working fine, but doesnt resets video output

\\ think its possible because as i have said on perivious pages i saw a flat solder ball under CELL BE

i am posting photos of my motherborad

2019_12_31_20_32_IMG_4223.JPG 2019_12_31_20_41_IMG_4253.JPG

I want to ask Since teensy++ can used for cfw and debricking early nand variants can the same be done for 12gb emmc models.I know that Emmc is more advance but still its a variant of original NAND technology Correct me if i am wrong for i am too Young for this knowlegde

I want to ask Since teensy++ can used for cfw and debricking early nand variants can the same be done for 12gb emmc models.I know that Emmc is more advance but still its a variant of original NAND technology Correct me if i am wrong for i am too Young for this knowlegde

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2020
  3. 1,820
    pink1

pink1 Moderator Developer

From what I’ve seen you can use an sd card reader for EMMC. I’ve not done it myself but littlebalup posted some info about it awhile back.

4. 93
    Fallen777

Fallen777 Member

thats why i want to discuss it with him so that i know if buying a hardware flasher is not waste of money and soldering fuss for nothing and by the way are there different variants of teensy ++ for bor nand and nor or is it just a single chip for both i seen the sd card method on his post but no noob instructions

pink1 likes this.
  5. 1,820
    pink1

The teensy++ won’t work for your system so yes buying a flasher would be pointless for this.
    I did see that the info is a little hard to put together I’d like to get one so I could be more helpful and maybe make a tool for it.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
  6. 6,744
    sandungas

A eMMC is composed by a NAND chip + a controller chip
    The NAND is standard and the controller "translates" the signals... externally you access the controller (not the NAND)

This is why you cant use a PS3 flasher, instead of that you should use (some kind of) microSD flasher
    All the talks about this should be posted in littlebalup thread btw... keep in mind is experimental and research so dont expect it to be easy and to have answers about all your doubts

Btw, your problem is very hard to identify because when your PS3 stopped working you was not doing anything that could be considered dangerous... it simply stopped working
    And thats the worst thing that could happen... you know is like if appears a patient at the doctor fully inconscious, the doctor doesnt knows what was the problem and is needed to make hundred tests to figure it

Right now you are suspecting about the flash contents (software), but i would keep that theory under quarentine, maybe is not that

Anyway... what you need to do to solve that doubt is to make a dump of your actual eMMC contents (and dont write anything in it by now), and check it with the validation tools that exists
    If the checks results in valid data the problem is not in the flash and you are back at step one

7. 93
    Fallen777

Fallen777 Member

A lot of people here have post problem mentioning about sudden black screen at 576p 50hz so its a common issue i suspect it to be software because there are post telling that after black recovery menu worked but black on first selecting the update in my case it accepted the update then gave black screen on initial stage
    Turned it off and on again as you know after asking for ps button it checks for update data on hdd press O to cancel it takes nearly 4 mins for that but i pressed O within First 2 minuted to get the clicking sound and issued the command on controller after that don,t know why i chose accept at final stage instead of cancel coun'nt find a post telling how to cancel

how to dump emmc and for this question
    tell me about this i can get an bricked slim and fat for cheap in my city

8. 1,820
    pink1

The teensy2.0++ can be used for both NAND & NOR consoles. You’d use nandway for the older ps3 with the two nand chips and norway for the newer ones with a nor chip.
    Myself I would look for a nor, to me they’re easier and better systems.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
    MegaManX970 likes this.
  9. 30
    MegaManX970

MegaManX970 Forum Noob

old NAND-based PS3 models are also pretty much vulnerable to hard bricks compared to NOR-based consoles
    so it's better to get a newer fat model (avoid CECHL which is also vulnerable to RSOD mostly because of defective NOR chips) or a slim model

10. 6,744
    sandungas

Is not a common issue, your case is different
    A black screen could happen for different causes, but 99,9% of that people reporting a black screen suddenly while playing was able to enter recovery menu at the next reboot
    The only ones that was not able to enter recovery menu is because the blak screen was caused by a hardware component that "died" in the exact moment when the black screen appeared... in that case they cant enter recovery menu

With this i mean... the firmware inside the flash chip cant be damaged while using the PS3 normally because the PS3 is not even trying to write data in it

---------
    The only point where the PS3 writes data in the flash is when you try to install a firmware... but this is another story (not related with the black screen)
    I dont understand well your explaination about what you was doing while installing firmwares in the recovery menu, but it looks like you interrupted the installation... and thats a huge mistake
    A firmware installation should not be stopped ever... in other words, all the firmware installations should be completed successfully

If for some reason the installation is not completed you should enter in panic mode, because most probably you are into big problems
    Sony implemented protections and safety meassures to prevent the users to enter in that "trap", but are not completly failproof
    As example, if you disconnect the power cord in the middle of a firmware installation the PS3 is going to be bricked

At this point it looks you did something like this

11. 93
    Fallen777

Fallen777 Member

same was my game after black screnn i was able to boot to recovery mode 6 to 7 time before issuing the software update it ask me to update 4.85 when trying to open psn but i skipped and went on.
    after appliying software i installed 4.84 ofw on currpted 4.84.2 hfw

can you show a photo of this difference

12. 1,820
    pink1

13. 197
    ElGris

ElGris Member

@Fallen777 Hi, I don't want to be rude or nothing like it but I'll be clear about your problem. You won't fix your PS3 with the knowledge you have, it seems that console has a really bad hardware issue, and even if it were just a hardbrick or something like that, that model has a eMMC, which its solution in case of a "real hardbrick" let's say, is still experimental. I didn't find a good tutorial on how to fix this kind of problems, just a main idea, so there you have the probabilities of your success. I think buying a flasher in this case will be a lost of money and time, because the problem isn't there imho, and you should sometimes listen to people that already faced these problems before. That just take it as an advice.
    I believe you need to work on the RSX, but still, you have no tools to do it, so then again, you're wasting your time with this. The best solution in this case would to get another PS3, and I know money is a problem for everyone, but like I said before, time is more important.

lmn7, MegaManX970 and DeViL303 like this.
  14. 93
    Fallen777

Fallen777 Member

15. 12,609
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

@Fallen777 , :

16. 3,353
    Cypher_CG89

Cypher_CG89 Senior Member

Lead Graphic Artist/Dev, VENOM ELITE GAMING
    Home Page:
    You cannot use that on eMMC, so unless your going to spend £300 - £600 on a professional eMMC programming kit then your out of luck for the time being.

17. 93
    Fallen777

Fallen777 Member

seriouly thats possble i have wondering how sony programmed the emmc on ps3

https://www.gsmeasyshop.com/product/P769275-easy-emmc-adapter
    like this one will this work

18. 3,353
    Cypher_CG89

Cypher_CG89 Senior Member

Lead Graphic Artist/Dev, VENOM ELITE GAMING
    Home Page: