Dismiss Notice

BEWARE of IMPOSTERS, posing as the PS3Xploit Members/Team:

-PS3Xploit does NOT have a discord channel, some imposter are using one

-If the info can't be found on ps3xploit.com or psx-place.com its fake

-ZuKuTo / OFWModz is one of the fake names of these imposter's are using to represent the PS3xploit team.

Swapping hard drives with PS3 HEN?

Discussion in 'PS3HEN (nonCFW PS3 Models)' started by toshineon, Jun 18, 2019.

1. 2
    toshineon

toshineon Forum Noob

Is it possible to use multiple HDD's and swapping between them? I used to do this back when HAN was the latest and greatest, and it worked fairly well, though setting it up was a pain as you needed to re-do the whole exploit for each drive. Has this gotten any easier, and if so how would you do it?

I mainly wonder if you can somehow bypass the need for activation for the other drives if I already have my act.dat from my primary backed up.

Thanks beforehand.

2. 162
    SteveGW

SteveGW Member

As far as i know or have read, you can just copy everything on HD to your PC via ftp, or connect HD to PC..
    Then just copy it all to another HD..
    I'm interested in this subject myself and have been trying to find info in upgrading my HD to 1tb.

3. 1,068
    umart666

umart666 Senior Member

that method won't work on HEN because you need eid root key to read ps3 hdd on pc and as far as i know there's no way to dump it on HEN.

Algol and SteveGW like this.
  4. 162
    SteveGW

SteveGW Member

so its just a full reinstall then of HEN on a new HD?

5. 6,224
    DeViL303

DeViL303 Developer PSX-Place Supporter

Part-Time XMB Modder
    Yes you can set up multiple drives and swap between them. You will need to exploit each one, but its not hard now, just insert each new drive, then reinstall HFW and then visit the auto installer URL on ps3xploit.com. It's super easy now.

You can also avoid having to activate on other installs or make new rifs, by copying the dev_hdd0/home folder from main activated drive, and using the same xregistry.sys on dev_flash2 for all hdds.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    Algol, jcorrea and SteveGW like this.
  6. 162
    SteveGW

SteveGW Member

@DeViL303

cheers, just the info i was looking for..

7. 1,068
    umart666

umart666 Senior Member

i don't have HEN system so don't quote me on that and i'm sure most of the stuff you can ftp from existing HEN ps3 to pc then ftp on the new one (saves,backups,etc) but with a new hdd you'll need pretty much new install.

you can always replace hdd with same or bigger capacity (if you don't mind losing that extra space) with bit perfect copy but that's pretty much pointless in both scenarios.

if it's of any solace pretty much the same thing applies to cfw,sure you can read hdd on a pc and ftp files to a new drive then rebuild database but really whole process is cumbersome and i always do a fresh install anyway.best way i've found is to have small usb thumbdrive for saves and backups on remote storage (except of course ps2 and psp games that need to be on internal drive).that way in any time i can simply reflash and restore and have anything i need set up in minutes.similar thing applies to external ntfs hdd.

edit: i've actually remembered the scenario where bit perfect copy isn't pointless.you can replace hdd with one of the same capacity but with better performance...

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    SteveGW likes this.
  8. 238
    jcorrea

jcorrea PSX-Place Supporter

Developer
    I don't think you understood what @toshineon asks. It's about swap hdd's with different content on the same PS3. Let's say he has 2 HDD's, 1TB each, with different games... It's perfectly possible on same FW version.

9. 1,068
    umart666

umart666 Senior Member

nope,he clearly wandered if he could connect hdd to a pc and ftp old files in complete to a new drive on HEN,that implies actually replacing hdd with a bigger one.i only commented on that scenario and alternatives.

10. 2
    toshineon

toshineon Forum Noob

I did this, installed HFW on two other drives, used the HEN installer and it works! Swapping between these three drives works. There is one minor issue however, on all drives, even the original one, the PS3 complains about needing a system activation when starting a game. I can get it to work by having a pkg with my act.dat and idps and installing it on every boot, but this is needed every time I restart the console. It's just a minor inconvenience, but is there anything you can do about this?

I don't want to have to reactivate the PS3 if it can be avoided, don't want to risk a ban, so I try to avoid logging in to PSN as much as possible.