Switch Noob

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by Phil, Oct 1, 2018.

1. 285
    Phil

Phil Member

I've got a switch for the family for Christmas with 3 games 2 steering wheels and a Mario hat lol, was wondering if any of you guys no about any access points or homebrew etc, is it like the wiiu or have they tightened there security this time around its unboxed the Mario odyssey version if that helps

2. 13,036
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

I'm not an expert at hacking the system, but I think much of it revolves around an exploit with the recovery menu (rcm). there are also unhackable systems out there. I think you can tell for sure by the system's serial number. be warned: you'll almost assuredly be banned. that's one place where Nintendo didn't drop the ball. I've thought about hacking my system, but I find that if I do that, I'll end up not playing any games. I also don't want to be banned.

edit: I forgot to mention that banning not only means no access to the eshop, but you cannot download game or system updates either (must be found online).

3. 536
    barelynotlegal

barelynotlegal Member

@pinky \so the switch is online all times? how does the ban work, as in how do they know if offline and playing local?
    i WAS going to trade my 2TB ps4 for the mario odyssey bundle but what you said makes me think twice.
    @Phil
    try team xecuter, that have a pretty solid mod, yes it cost ya but its worth it. they have rock solid support/products. worth the money.
    i got a bunk deal from divineo back in they day, and TX himself game me a nice bundle to start with(catch was i had to help out in the forums which i love)
    but i am very wet to the switch

4. 13,036
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

from what I understand, bans have to do with the error logs, which is why you want a clean log when accessing online. I'm going legit this time around, so I can only say what I've read. ;) and, yeah, banning are pretty damning this time around. you can't download game or system updates either. you're pretty much forced to pirate when that happens, so probably not the smartest move by Nintendo.

5. 536
    barelynotlegal

barelynotlegal Member

@pinky so the only time they can get you is when you update a game or buy something from the store? otherwise safe'ish?

6. 13,036
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

I think it's being connected to the internet at all, which is why they suggest airplane mode. the only thing is that airplane mode is disabled while docked. there's a dns app that can block all communication with Nintendo as well. the system will try to download system updates while connected too. there's an option to disable automatic updating, but afaik, that's only for game updates. it won't force you to update the system, but you'll be nagged unless you delete the update file (think that involves going into the recovery menu or system settings). anyway, they have their shit together way more than sony does when it comes to bannings.

7. 536
    barelynotlegal

barelynotlegal Member

@pinky
    Dug up a little info......

“Nintendo pushed firmware update 6.2.0 they also permitted banned consoles to accept the update so those using CFW that had stealth mode disabled were prompted to update as well.

Anyone who accepted the update now has 8 burnt efuses which means you will not be able to downgrade your console back to any lower version. Please do not attempt to downgrade your console under any circumstance, as you may end up bricking it.

If you try being sneaky and update to 6.2.0 without burning your efuses, Nintendo also prepared for that as checks have now been implemented to verify the proper efuse burns for the installed firmware version, and if the check fails, the console will stop booting leaving you in a bit of a mess.

There are a lot bigger "technical changes" that have taken place as well.... including a new secure bootchain with a new master key. Getting around these new changes will take some time and work is in progress.

Anyone who has updated to 6.2.0 is advised to stay offline if you have any interest in using CFW in the future.

If you had set up emunand before performing the 6.2.0 update on your sysnand then you may still be able to use your emunand, but you will have issues with the console coming out of sleep mode due to the new checks that have been put in place when the console resumes.

6.2.0 will not work in emunand, don't try this. There is no reason to try this.

Anyone who has NOT taken the 6.2.0 update yet, you should also keep your console offline. If you are using stealth mode, that should protect your console from seeing and downloading the update. It is best for everyone to just stay offline for now until more information is made available.”
    thanX to GameOver at TX forums. They have a pretty solid mod for 45 USD and it quality work

Attached Files:

pinky likes this.
  8. 13,036
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

( believe there are also hardware-revised systems, which can't be hacked. I'm not sure about that bundle though.. odyssey came out before those revised models started circulating, so you may be safe. I have a friend whose tricket (internal modchip) stopped working after he accidentally updated to 6.2 normally, burning those efuses. personally, I don't care much, since I don't want what happened with the ps3/360 to happen with the switch: learning about and not gaming on the system. that used to be fun, but now it's not. :-/ that's why I bought a new ps3 actually. ;)

9. 536
    barelynotlegal

barelynotlegal Member

I checked the serial and it’s under the unpatched systems. Came with 3.1 or something like that.
    Do you think it with losing a PS4 and 2TB hdd for the that switch bundle? I have really no clue yet to the switch scene. Mainly for family fun time lol

10. 13,036
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

dunno. I'd think a ps4 and a 2TB hdd would be worth more than a switch by itself, especially if it's exploitable. last time I checked, exploitable systems were worth about the cost of a new ps4. then, add on the hdd....

I don't plan to hack my switch at all. though, my first system died somehow. I've replaced everything but the official dock after that happened, just in case there was a power surge. funny thing is that my wii u works like million bucks, despite being used for hours just about every day. the switch library is very good (easily better than the ps4 imo), but the build quality as per my experience is awful. I've heard of the same issue happening to other people's, but that was the result of using a third-party dock, which Nintendo seemed to have added checks for on 5.1. I'm using an official dock though, and I have been since I bought the system. :-/ anyway, it was still under warranty, so Nintendo sent me a refurbished unit back. what's funny is that they didn't send me a patched unit back (looked up serial number via that chart on temp). :-p

11. 536
    barelynotlegal

barelynotlegal Member

@pinky\
    i have created my own post with more detail to my situation,
    so nintendo the new sony? ha ha that funny they didnt send you a updated console but refurbished thats crap, kind of like when your phone sh_ts the bed they give you a "new" phone aka refurbed.
    anyways i created my own post so no more hijacking this thread.
    @Phil thanX for letting me use your thread.. hope all i ssorted