PS3 System Restore only reviving one user

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by Siegfried, Jun 14, 2019.

1. 2
    Siegfried

Siegfried Forum Noob

Hello,

So, I recently had to change my PS3's board because the old one's bluetooth malfunctioned (had it for about a decade). To install the new board, the hard drive needed to be reformatted. Prior to this, my PS3 had two user accounts; mine, and my brother's (which he rarely uses, nor cares about, and hardly has any save data on it). The reason I went through the trouble of getting this PS3 fixed in the first place was to preserve the save data in my user account.

Before reformatting, I did a system back-up to an external drive. It took about 20 hours, but appeared to have done its job. Now that I have a working bluetooth again, I did a system restore using the backed up data from said hard drive.

This is where the problem began. Restore was just a few minutes, compared to the 20 hour back-up process. However, it strangely only restored the stuff from my brother's account and not mine. Had things been the other way round, I wouldn't be looking for a solution and just go on as is.

I doubt I would've been using his account when making the back-up, but even if I had been, isn't the back-up and restore process supposed to restore everything? I did it once before years ago when I'd changed my hard drive, and was actually surprised to see that literally everything, my user account and my brother's plus all our downloaded games, had been perfectly restored back then. But now I'm fearing my own save data might be lost, and am hoping there's some kind of reason why the restore I'm doing now is incomplete.

Any help with how I might be able to get my own save data back, or at least some closure if something might have happened during the backing up process which may have messed everything up. Thanks in advance.

2. 1,933
    Berion

Berion Developer

If You change motherboard You have technically different console. System Backup Utility will not restore content which was encrypted by different IDPS and this is why SBU is useless sh*t. However he should restore all accounts but just empty (no saves with CP attribs only unblock saves, no trophies because never restoring trophies, no licenses, and as I remember, no games).

If You don't have IDPS from old motherboard, then You are unable to get missing data. Anyway, You still can get something just extracting from backup and manually restoring (You need hacked PS3 of course).

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    ntodek and Algol like this.
  3. 2
    Siegfried

Siegfried Forum Noob

Yeah, I do recall even last time when I restored it, the trophies weren't saved, but that's not a problem; all I needed to do was log into PSN.

I still find it strange my main account isn't appearing, whereas my brother's one is. His (very few) saves are all there too.

One other reason I can think of regards a weird issue my PS3 had whenever I use it on a different television. It has a habit of resetting the clock back to when it was reformatted, and when it did this, never let me use my saved data, downloaded games or dlc from after that point in time until I update my time/date settings via internet (manually setting the time/date didn't fix it). The thing is, when my bluetooth was damaged, I couldn't connect to the internet. Now that it's back, my PS3 for some weird reason doesn't detect my internet. It can detect the neighbour's (which I don't have passwords for), but not mine. It just simply won't appear in the list of networks when I scan for one.

I even updated the system via media storage, but it hasn't fixed the issue with scanning my network. Any idea why this is now happening? No other devices I have (phones, tablet, PS4) are having this problem.