Tell me something I dont know about GekiHEN or HENkaku? Im a lonely Rooster ;)

Discussion in 'HENkaku' started by UniqueUserName, Sep 16, 2016.

1. 1,258
    UniqueUserName

UniqueUserName R.I.P.

AAA
    Home Page:
    GekiHEN, HENkaku, wth ??

With all these HENs running about how is a Rooster supposed to know what is old, new, good, or bad??

Why dont we get some discussions going about what is going on in this new scene of ours that you all probably know so much more about than I do...

I dont have much time anymore, so I havent followed it like most of you... Just look at me, Im stupid ;) So clue me in on what you know and bring me upto speed...

Whos gonna do some Googling for me? You know I would for YOU :)

2. 3,980
    bitsbubba

bitsbubba Super Moderator / Developer Super Moderator Developer

Homicidal Super Moderator
    Home Page:
    GekiHEN is a competition that a few of us scene sites partnered up to bring more devs and more homebrew to the PS Vita /PSTV (Vita TV) via the HENkaku exploit

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2016
  3. 1,258
    UniqueUserName

UniqueUserName R.I.P.

AAA
    Home Page:
    Youve been moderated. :eek: *Think Terminator*

Now about this competition you speak of, can anyone tell me anything about this..?

IT ALL SOUNDS VERY INTERESTING!

Can anyone join in on the fun?

What is it all about?

What is this HENkaku thingy?

Do they sell it at BestBuy?

Anyone else out there have any opinions or information about this thing that has all of these sites all buzzing lately?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
    STLcardsWS likes this.
  4. 3,980
    bitsbubba

bitsbubba Super Moderator / Developer Super Moderator Developer

Homicidal Super Moderator
    Home Page:
    http://www.psx-place.com/threads/an...vita-playstation-tv-henkaku.10596/#post-53841

STLcardsWS and UniqueUserName like this.
  5. 7,845
    bguerville

bguerville Moderator

Henkaku is obviously a Vita/PSTV hack, I assume you already know that much.
    Am no Vita expert at all but here is my understanding of it.
    It first uses a webkit exploit (via the browser obviously) to gain access to userland (stage 1)- userland means all the code running outside the OS kernel. Then it takes advantage of a NetBSD kernel exploit using a ioctl vulnerability to take over the system (stage 2).
    From there, well, anything is possible...
    A sdk (software development kit) was released to help developers write homebrews...
    For info, the webkit exploit can be used on the PS4 however the kernel exploit cannot unfortunately. The PS4 uses the FreeBSD ioctl implementation which is different from NetBSD & not vulnerable to the henkaku stage 2 exploit.
    This hack is not a CFW & is not permanent. It needs to be reapplied on every boot. Also as the exploits get patched in new firmware updates, the system cannot be updated anymore without losing the ability to use henkaku. And to hack the Vita in the same manner with a firmware > 3.60, 2 new exploits would need to be found...
    This 2-stage hack was first released as a Web solution i.e you go to the henkaku site & press a button to start the hack.
    Henkaku required Internet access on boot which wasn't too practical so an offline version was released.
    There is a lot of info & documentation published by yifanlu about the hack & how it works, on the henkaku blog & the github repo along with all the source code of course.
    I suggest you read the documentation at least, it's really interesting...

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
  6. 1,258
    UniqueUserName

UniqueUserName R.I.P.

AAA
    Home Page:
    Thanks for kicking this thread off proper Fam... we have some great information in here already.

Of course I started this thread to try and build a buzz, as well as get some non-staff feedback and discussions going, while being as amusing as possible, and keeping it seperate from the ideas thread (which was already a great idea). :)

Even though you know I knew most of what I read in @bguerville post and @bitsbubba link already, I DID infact learn a few new things there, so if nobody else even chimed in at this point, Ill still call this thread a win for me. Thanks!

bitsbubba likes this.