Temps on phat Ps3s

Discussion in 'Hardware Mods' started by Luc101, May 4, 2020.

1. 9
    Luc101

Luc101 Forum Noob

Hey guys, I’ve been reading that it’s best to change your thermal paste on your ps3 especially the phat models. My question is running a ps2 game through webman or multiman with fan speeds at 50 percent gives me a cpu and GSX heat of about 40-50degrees Celsius after about 30 mins to an hour of play. This being said I’ve heard that ps2 emulation is very taxing on ps3s and has in the past over heated this console (prior to fan speed adjustment) should I replace the thermal paste or not even bother with these fan speeds I’m staying well below the danger zone of 75 degrees Celsius. I bought this ps3 80gb B/C for 10 dollars and it doesn’t read games lol so you can see why I’d be asking....

2. 40
    Falco1211

Falco1211 Forum Noob

If you leave the fan speed stock and try to play a PS2 game, the cell is gonna reach way over 80c, I use my CECHP01 (65nm chips) at 35% fan speed while playing PS2 games, I get around 68-70c on the cell, since you have an older BC model, I would recommend replacing the old thermal paste with a new, quality paste, just leave set the fan to 40% while on PS2 mode, as long as it doesn't go over 70, you're ok.

3. 971
    Coro

Coro Member

i would say the temps are fine and maybe even u can lower fan to 45 and see how they do then.

4. 9
    Luc101

Luc101 Forum Noob

I’ve just heard that sometimes it’s best to leave these older consoles alone, I just don’t want to break it worse than it already is hahaha or end up needing to re ball it.

5. 9
    Luc101

Luc101 Forum Noob

I thought about it because of the noise, it does run very cool considering it’s running 20-25 degrees cooler than the danger zone. This is why I don’t see the sense in disturbing what paste it already has. Since I doubt you’d get much better than these temps even with new paste and a slower speed.

6. 971
    Coro

Coro Member

yeah you only need new paste if temps are hard to control.

7. 9
    Luc101

Luc101 Forum Noob

I’ve read stories of people doing damage when they do this change of the paste. I don’t think it’s hard but why risk it if your ps3 is running cool with what’s already on board.

Coro likes this.
  8. 275
    wrx884

wrx884 Member

Its called maintenance. Thats like saying why change ur engine oil if the cars still running?? would u leave old dirty oil in in ur motor and never change it? just keep toping it up till she stops?

9. 9
    Luc101

Luc101 Forum Noob

It’s a little different here lol as it’s 2020 and really if this were oil in a car this should of been changed long ago. Since thermal paste is a long term item and oil is not much so much.

10. 971
    Coro

Coro Member

yeah cleaning out dust from time to time is necessary but changing paste should be much less often. the main thing is the original paste on early models is crap so after it been changed once the new paste should last longer than the oem stuff.

wrx884 likes this.
  11. 275
    wrx884

wrx884 Member

nope same rules apply just look after ur gear as best u can to prevent further issues. u should know sony paste is pretty crap and regardless has a shelf life even when not in use. Realistically u shouldn't need a fan utility to control temps, if u do then thats showing u theres an issue that ur just masking up and hiding. Not saying dont use it but if u always use it u will never know whats really happening until its too late. Maintenance is key.

12. 971
    Coro

Coro Member

paste dries out from too much heat..fan control keeps heat down so it makes paste last longer. after the crappy original paste is replaced, good paste should last a long time with fan control.

sony set the fan too low (especially for ps2classics) because they know people dont like loud fans.

13. 275
    wrx884

wrx884 Member

Thats right but thats not the point im trying to make out, u should know paste always dries out much quicker on the BGA's dies and that the important part most skips out on when they start using utilities. If the jobs done properly u dont need utilities regardless if u think sony set their fans too low, the syscon will still do its job, as i said tho im not saying dont use them.

14. 9
    Luc101

Luc101 Forum Noob

I feel as though that the point being missed here is my ps3 is currently sitting at 40-50 degrees Celsius and yes it’s a little louder but it works. The console is no where near the danger zone. Maintenance is important but chasing an issue that no where near exists is just a waste of time.

DoublesAdvocate likes this.
  15. 43
    Chino Moreno

Chino Moreno Member

The fan speeds and temps look ideal for an old console. There are numerous ways to eff up opening these old things. You can strip a ribbon cable, a latch might break, heatsink screws can strip (i broke the head on mine and they are crazy expensive if you find one). For most devices, i leave them as they are if the issues are tolerable. Better have a working unit than regretting it. Based on your responses, i think you already have decided what you are not going to do even before posting this topic.

Sent from my TRT-LX2 using Tapatalk