PS2 The operative no one lives forever SLUS_200.28 not loading with OPL 0.93

Discussion in 'Open PS2 Loader (OPL)' started by liquidgykill, Sep 21, 2019.

1. 74
    liquidgykill

liquidgykill Forum Noob

Title = The operative no one lives forever
    ID = SLUS_200.28
    Media = DVD5
    OPL version = 0.93
    Device = USB
    Mode(s) = none tested
    VMC = if used, game never starts
    IGR = untested
    Compatible = not listed
    MD5: 5367D2652E3038B0F15459F8D74D770A

Notes = black screen after loading the game on opl

Please help, the game doesnt load and stays in a black screen and the usb stays with the led lit after loading it on opl, tested other games working on opl without problems or with minor problems.
    The game is not listed at all in the compatibility list or in the incompatible ones. is there any mode that I should turn on?

Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
  2. 1,656
    jolek

jolek Senior Member

liquidgykill and TnA like this.
  3. 74
    liquidgykill

liquidgykill Forum Noob

Thanks for your answer

MD5: 5367D2652E3038B0F15459F8D74D770A

I dont think its the USB.

I had the VMC on in that game, I turned it off and the game worked, did it again on and off to be sure and test, and yeah; with the VMC turned on the game never start and stays in a black screen and the USB led lit static. This is the only game so far Ive found with this problem (havent tested that much games tho)

The game is not in the compatibility list but Ive found other games like 007:nightfire in the compatibility list that says that works ok with VMC and it does not, it reads the save but it always fails to save or overwite and damages the VMC file. Does this problems varies from buil to build of OPL?? It is better if I try an internal Hard Disk?

Is there a way to prevent this or to make the vmc work with The operative: no one lives forever?

4. 762
    Peppe90

Peppe90 Member

When actually it freezes?? Before the MC check?? Make sure to have only SONY MCs inserted.

EDIT: Sorry I didn't noticed you managed to make the game work.
    Btw have you tested with 8mb VMCs??

5. 74
    liquidgykill

liquidgykill Forum Noob

No, I tried to use a 64mb VMC with a lot of my old saves in it. Maybe is that the problem?
    all the problems Ive had so far with OPL are VMC related.

6. 12,385
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

if you mean the memory cards, I know that on the ps3, increasing the vmc size can cause instability. I've never used opl, only a hard mod for the ps2, so it's just a suggestion without any real experience.

7. 762
    Peppe90

Peppe90 Member

I guess it freezes at the MC check just like 007 AUF. Make sure only have 8mb SONY MCs inserted and the game will probably work flawlessly.
    Always make 8mb VMCs too (many games have problems with bigger MCs/VMCs, certain freeze or have some glithces/slowdowns).
    If you tested the game with a VMC bigger than 8mb, repeat the test with a 8mb one. Maybe this game can work with VMCs too, it can be the bigger size the problem.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
    liquidgykill likes this.
  8. 1,335
    TnA

TnA Senior Member

Yerp, just use per-game VMCs at 8MB!
    Also make sure they are 100%ly defragmented, just like games (on USB)!

Peppe90 and liquidgykill like this.
  9. 74
    liquidgykill

liquidgykill Forum Noob

Thank you, Ill try to make an 8mb VMC for that game only to test it.
    I have physical MC's but I have one just for the FMCB only on slot 2 an one on slot 1 but only for games that dont let me use VMC.
    Ive only found those 2 games so far that gave problems to me. I just dont like to be contantly swapping MC's like on the old days I think im lazier now lol.

Algol and Peppe90 like this.
  10. 74
    liquidgykill

liquidgykill Forum Noob

How do you defragment a VMC?

11. 1,335
    TnA

TnA Senior Member

Just like you would do with your games!

On OPL you MUST make sure that in-game-content is absolutely fragment-free (meaning it is 1 part)!
    'In-game-content' means, the stuff which is used in-game! This does NOT include configs or themes or whatever, but ONLY files which are read from and written to during the game need to be defragmented! This includes images, ul-files and VMCs!

Try Auslogics Disc Defragmenter for it, or if it is a flash-drive, just pull all files from it and then copy all images and VMCs in 'one run' (NOT using multiple copy-streams/windows at the same time) to it, or use OPL Manager for the VMCs and defrag the file only!

liquidgykill likes this.
  12. 74
    liquidgykill

liquidgykill Forum Noob

I use defreaggler cuz its free and yeah I check periodically to see if the content is fragmented on my USB, it is not.
    I thought there was a specific way to defrag the VMC, I dont think its fragmented either since I copied everything in one run using mymc_2.6 on PC from old ARMAX saves from my physical MC.
    Ill try that OPL manager. havent installed it but ill check it out.

what about the games that uses USBUtil v2.00 for more than 3.4gb?

Ill get my HDD adapter soon, maybe Ill change USB to HDD if its better. Im new to all this and just dusted out my old fat ps2 to try it because I love ps2 games and playing them on PS3 is not the same...

13. 1,335
    TnA

TnA Senior Member

Would you give the mentioned program a try? You don't have to, but it does the job well!

USB-Util is for games over 4GiB.
    Yes, those parts Ned to be defragmented as well, but the parts can be 'shuffeled', so part 2 can be on an earlier logical position on the device than Part1, etc.!

Yes, internal HDD and SMB/LAN as a fallback-solution, are the best choices IMO!

Algol, liquidgykill and Peppe90 like this.
  14. 762
    Peppe90

Peppe90 Member

Once you'll try playing from HDD you'll never come back to USB for sure: no need to defrag, nor split, more compatibility, max reading/loading speed (much faster than original DVD with most games).

Gamestar Network Adaptors are good for playing from HDD, but If you manage to get a original SONY one it'd be even better (they have a working ethernet port. It can be useful for installing/extracting games and for ETH playing).

TnA, Algol and liquidgykill like this.
  15. 762
    Peppe90

Peppe90 Member

I've your same setting. My slot 2 MC (with FMCB) is a SONY original one (64 ones can make FMCB unstable, I experienced that).
    On slot 1 the best is to have another original one, but you can use a 64MB too (I do so), since most games that have problems with VMCs perfectly support 64mb MCs and viceversa the ones that doesn't like 64 MCs perfectly support VMCs (8mb obviously).

Btw there may be games that don't like neither VMCs (any size) and 64MB MCs, keep it in mind.
    A SONY MC in slot one, just for games that don't work with VMCs, is the safer way.

TnA, Algol and liquidgykill like this.
  16. 74
    liquidgykill

liquidgykill Forum Noob

I will, thank you

TnA likes this.
  17. 1,335
    TnA

TnA Senior Member

IMO that all also applies to LAN/SMB, except for speed not being as good as from HDD! :D

...and can be used for loading apps via LAN or for debugging via LAN and so on! :)

Well, not 'unstable' ONCE it runs... But the booting in itself (showing the logo in the first place), might not work (especially if it is a slow card and how more files/folders are on it)!

There definitely are. I ought to remember that RE4 did not work with 32MB-Cards or with none who already have 32MB written to it... (could be 16MB as well, I can't remember it exactly)
    Some VMC-Incompatible games even 'let through' some writes to the original MC and corrupt it...

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
    Peppe90 likes this.
  18. 762
    Peppe90

Peppe90 Member

SMB is a little less compatible too (either game compatibility and OPL functions like VMC/IGR). Most games are perfect though, overall it's a much better way to play than from original DVD (the best on a Ps2 slim). For certain needs it could be better than iHDD (i.e. with SMB you don't have the 2tb limit, there's no size limit at all).

Absolutely, and for FTP from the PC for browsing all devices and copy files.

Yes, right, all fine once running. The logo always showed up for me with 64MCs, the problem is that many times the ps2 freezed at it.

I played (and finished) RE4 on a og MC. Years after, when I bought my first 64 MC I moved the save on it and played some times without problems. But I don't remember if I ever saved on the 64MC. I'll check it.

JAK X is an example. There's no way to fool this game, it won't recognize a MC unless it's a physical 8MB SONY one.
    This game has a bug when saving on slim Ps2s...

19. 762
    Peppe90

Peppe90 Member

You're right about RE4.
    When I boot the game (being the savegame on the 64MB Mc) all seems to be loaded fine. I get the scrolling menù and the extras.
    But if I try to load a game I was playing it failed and after a couple tries it change my save names to "corrupted data".

So it can load the system save but not the actual gameplay saves. I never noticed that since I never tried to load or save a game on the 64MB MC, I just started some ADA missions a couple times.

Tags: