Dismiss Notice

BEWARE of IMPOSTERS, posing as the PS3Xploit Members/Team:

-PS3Xploit does NOT have a discord channel, some imposter are using one

-If the info can't be found on ps3xploit.com or psx-place.com its fake

-ZuKuTo / OFWModz is one of the fake names of these imposter's are using to represent the PS3xploit team.

Tips to avoid black screens & HEN init failures

Discussion in 'PS3HEN (nonCFW PS3 Models)' started by atreyu187, Jun 29, 2019.

1. 5,603
    atreyu187

atreyu187 Retired Old Hunter Moderator

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:
    Ok there are a few things that if you have issues using these tips will solve all your issues.

20190629_015311_rmedited.jpg

First off if using webMAN mod try setting your temp to a constant temp instead of having the PS3 auto setting for the fan control. It's fixed quiet a few issues for some people.

Also if still giving you issues and want webMAN @deank vanilla version doesn't conflict with other managers. I personally have IRISMAN, multiMAN, and Managunz installed with webMAN mod issues free. I get maybe one fail out of 50+. BTW I use all three of @Joonie @Zar and @kozarovv HEN builds of all three managers. As well as @aldostools wMM/IRISMAN file manager

Another issue with HEN is if a disc is left in the drive. Simply remove the disc from the system unless it's in use as you don't need HEN for this. They aren't sure why this happens but they have been debugging it as it was thought to have been fixed since the 1.03+ builds. Small price to play to avoid dreaded black screens.

Another issue some have especially when installing HEN exploit the first time is the need to enable the browser close option.

unknown-1.png

Also if you can't trigger the exploit try deleting the cache/cookies and only have one window open at a time due to the RAM restrictions/limitations.

Now if you were having issues with HEN it's a good idea to simply erase with a file manager or via FTP. The HEN folder is found in the following directory.

HDD0/:hen

Then you can start fresh to ensure you don't have any file corruption going on due to HEN failing to init. It is also wise to boot i into recovery menu and restore your file system. After that rebuild your database. Nothing is deleted but you will have to reorganize your XMB. You do this using #3 first and then option #4. It also couldn't hurt to reinstall HFW TWICE from this screen using option #6 with the file in a folder like this and named exactly.

PS3/UPDATE/PS3UPDAT.PUP

Download link (MEGA) : HFW_4.84.2_PS3UPDAT.PUP
    MD5 :4247362b54fadd2e4d7c09007f720803

xthumbnail1.jpg.pagespeed.ic.dX2OsMfTH9.jpg

Also if you are using XMB mods it's wise to remove them first and foremost to self troubleshoot. These can be the culprit of some issues as well.

Now most if not all of these tips are on the forum but I tried to put them all in one post and tag it PS3HEN so others can find it easily. Doing these things either one or a combo of a few has fixed 98% of all the users I have helped remedy their issues.

And another thing do not try to install CCAPI as it will throw a soft brick that's annoying to fix. Also don't use Rebug Toolbox if you don't know what you are doing. It wasn't designed for HEN. And XMBM+ and other XML mods weren't designed for HEN. They will throw a soft brick as well. @DeViL303 HEN Toolbox is ok as it was done with HEN in mind but it if a problem should occur see if removing it can help.

Finally I'll leave with the order of which I would do to ensure you have the best possible setup and no file corruption.

1. Delete HEN from "HDD0:/hen
    2. Install HFW twice from recovery
    3. Run "File System Repair" from recovery
    4. Run "Rebuild Database" from recovery
    5. Open your browser and clear cookies & cache
    6. Press triangle and make sure you enable browser auto close option
    7. Run auto installer for HEN from ps3xploit.com
    8. Do a fresh install of the managers again. They can be found HERE while webMAN can be found HERE

Hopefully this helps some of the newer users out there. If you have anything to add that helped you please let me know and I can add your fix and credit to this like I did via mentions from others who have helped.

Let's keep the conversation civil as well. No flamming or bad mouthing other new users. I know this has all been said before but now it's all in one post. As usual feel free to drop me a message and I can help more. But most of all the guys are working on this non-stop since it's initial release.

Their goal is to not get black screens or HEN init issues. Remember they do this for all of us for free. So keep your H"version X.X.X is the best version" to yourself. That is great but without some concrete proof and just your opinion is just that your opinion. It's always a good idea to use the most up to date public builds.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  2. 527
    ShaolinAssassin

ShaolinAssassin Developer

Nice work. Can the thread be moved on HEN subforum tho ? Thanks.

atreyu187 and mr_ota like this.
  3. 5,603
    atreyu187

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:

Ok done I had it there as it had the PS3HEN icon but that makes sense as I forgot about the HEN sub-forum.

Algol and ShaolinAssassin like this.
  4. 3
    YA BOI

YA BOI Forum Noob

Wouldn't disabling fan control work also? As far as I understand overheating isn't that much of a problem on slims and superlims or am I wring about this?

Major_Pothead92 likes this.
  5. 53
    x64

x64 Forum Noob

@atreyu187 Just want to say thanks for putting this troubleshooting thread together. I was just tired of having to reboot and waiting for file corruption checks to complete. I ended up doing a low level format for the internal hdd, formatted the internal flash storage (super slim 12gb), and updating hfw 4.84 twice. PS3hen auto-installation installed on the first try without errors. The xmb navigation and pkg installations are snappy. multiman hasn't triggered a blackscreen. Cheers!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
    Sdw100 and atreyu187 like this.
  6. 5,603
    atreyu187

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:
    Glad it worked for you as it's pretty solid now. I haven't had any issues once it is set up properly. Even left it running for three days playing off and on just to test durability.

I guess but why would you do that? Heavy games like The Last of Us breach the 70 degree threshold while in game on my 3001 model slim without fan control. That's the point when trouble occurs. It won't happen under the XMB load or at least it shouldn't unless you have issues already. Fan control is not a bad thing. To hear the fan a bit is a lot less of a issue then having to get a new system or to make a repair but in the end it's your call. If you set it up right there are zero issues.

x64 likes this.
  7. 528
    amirzaim

amirzaim Member

Nice...Auto fan settings on webman mod always bugged me much. Could relieve the headache when set to manual.

atreyu187 likes this.
  8. 5,603
    atreyu187

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:

Yeah I don't like hearing it go up and down as it's to extreme but there is a less aggressive Auto#2 mode now. But I find with it set at a manual 33% that I don't even notice it while in game. Been running this speed for 4+ years now issue free. Besides if I need to replace a fan it's cheap and trivial as opposed to other issues that could arise.

amirzaim likes this.
  9. 53
    x64

x64 Forum Noob

My 4201a console fan starts rattling inside the shell loudly at 33% or higher in webman. I want to delid the cell cpu but it has a different heat spreader than the previous console versions. The heat spreader looks like the one that the xbox 360 S apu has.

Syscon temps for me are cell: 62c and rsx: 59c.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

10. 528
    amirzaim

amirzaim Member

Temp seems fine, no need to delid the CELL IHS. Just tear down the clear off the dust and change its thermal paste.

Also, change its CPU fan if the fan itself starts to behave abnormal.

11. 53
    x64

x64 Forum Noob

Definitely. I did repaste the heat spreaders and drilled holes on left side of the console next to the fan. The holes didn't help to bring the temps down.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

12. 107
    Louis Garry

Louis Garry Member

Maybe you mean "Restore File System"?

13. 225
    Major_Pothead92

Major_Pothead92 Member

The holes really didn't help lol? I was considering drilling a big hole and then a few others on the top of the case above where the fan is. I took my 3001A apart yesterday and wiped everything down with some isopropyl and ran the fan test afterwards while the case was still off. Fan is still alive and well I guess, it just makes a bit of a vibrating noise when running the test for whatever reason. My temps seem to stay in the low to mid 60's. I think they might go above 70 when playing PS2 Classics though. Biggest variable would be home temperature in my case, I can't afford to always have the AC running so it gets hot this time of year -_-

14. 53
    x64

x64 Forum Noob

My temps on idle are 62 (cell) and 58 (rsx). The cell cpu increased by 2 degrees in celcius but the rsx temp drops by a degree or so. There's a youtuber named NSC modz who drilled holes on the left side of the fan of super slim case but he also delidded the cell heatspreader. That would explain his lower temps. I did it because it worked for my ps4 slim.

Drilling the holes if the super slim shell is crappy and if you just don't care. I'm sort of pissed off with myself for drilling the holes because the ps3 super slim case is white and its rare to see a complete case for sale at ebay.

Major_Pothead92 likes this.
  15. 13
    IAMSantiD

IAMSantiD Forum Noob

Hello people, great pleasure, I have a ps3 slim of 160gb and I have hen since it came out, I currently have it in the latest version 2.3.1 with webman mod and multiman, there are times when I give to enabling hen the console remains frozen and I have to turn it off while keeping the power button on, whenever I turn it on again it tells me that the data is damaged and I restore it and play again, it happens rarely but my biggest fear is that one day I turn it off from the button and when the turn on I skipped an infamous error that says that the ps3 can not be started and remains restored in an infinite loop and it only remains to format it, what I least want because I have a lot of games and games, and I would have to do everything from 0%, I know that he is very new and for the functions he has is very cool, I have been able to play games that could not be played in ridge racer 7 or call of duty 3, I ask you, if sometimes you freeze the hen and what they do so that they do not damage the hdd of ps3 after turning it off ma l, sorry if I wrote a lot and if my English is wrong :p

atreyu187 likes this.
  16. 5
    spaceman87

spaceman87 Forum Noob

Thanks for the useful information.

atreyu187 likes this.
  17. 5,603
    atreyu187

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:

Don't worry that file check won't cause any issues. I have even disabled it in QA settings so if I get a back screen it just skips this check altogether. Been doing this for years issue free.

Sure glad to help

Fin9ersMcGee likes this.
  18. 4
    Shadowsinclaira

Shadowsinclaira Forum Noob

Hello everyone, I've been using hen 2.3.1 for a while now and so I decided to rip my ps2 games from the disc and convert it to a ps2 classic game. So I install Dragon Ball Z Tenkaichi 3, but just when I restart the ps3 and try enabling hen it freezes. What's strange was that this only happened after I installed the game and restarted. So here I was thinking, "Maybe it's just the game" so I uninstalled it and it happened again. So I disconnected the internet from the PS3 and It enables. but then I get a "couldn't update a host" in the top left.

19. 2
    deeze1

deeze1 Forum Noob

hmm i have cod dvd that i cant rip to hd ,..when i start it up you can see it in games but when i open multiman hen it doesnt want to copy to hd and it freezes after i quit ...