Trying to fix ps3, help me

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by place2b, Aug 18, 2019.

1. 84
    place2b

place2b Forum Noob

Hi everyone,
    I have a ps3 (phat) CECHK03 that gives me a message that the ps3 must be updated with 2.50 or higher firmware.
    This ps3 was not used in 5 years and i think it was already hacked when i got it for free.
    I downloaded 4.84 OFW i placed the ps3 and update folders to my E3 stick with 8GB microsd.
    I placed the file PS3UPDAT.PUP in the UPDATE folder and tried to update my ps3.
    It fails and i got the message no update file was found on storage.. I tried to remove the .PUP extension and it didn't work. I also got this error 8002f22f telling me that can't connect to harddrive. I took a new harddrive 500GB and formated it in exFAT with my pc. After inserting into ps3 i started my ps3 in safe mode. trying to update but no luck, i got message that there is no firmware found on storage disk. Is it possible that the bkpps3.bin file is corrupted?

I have a E3 flasher (limited edition). I have soldered on my DYN 002 mobo on the SBE a wire and on ground a wire.
    I did this just in case i need to connect the SBE to ground. I have added alligator clip on one of the wire.
    I have successfully backed up the dump file. i first got 3 dump files bkpps30, bkpps31, bkpps32,, after that i realized that i didn't update my E3 flasher. After i updated i tried again to make a backup of the dump file and now i got only one dump file bkpps3.bin i used the ps3 flash tool 4.50 to patch the dump. All was green and ok.
    After switching on ps3 i waited 1 minute. I flashed the patched file to the NOR (switch1 up the rest down.) after 10 min it was succesful. I shut off ps3 by head switch. I made sure that all switches on E3 were down. Then i started my ps3 but it got bricked because it shutted off after like 3 or 4 seconds with 3 beeps. I unbricked it by flashing the backed up dump file on the nor chip (while SBE to round connected). Now it is unbricked but i don't know what to do next cause it won't update etc... Can anyone help me?

2. 1,345
    nCadeRegal

nCadeRegal Moderator

It may be looking for the firmware that was on the hardrive you formatted. Take your dump and check it in the dump checker for what versions it says are stored in ros1 and ros 0. Do you know if this console had any bd drive problems or wifi bt problems?

3. 84
    place2b

place2b Forum Noob

Wow what a fast reply (awesome) I have to go to a store i'm going to try a 2GB sd card (if i'll find one (at Sunday) to give it a try and if no success i will follow your steps and give you feedback.

4. 2,570
    Cypher_CG89

Cypher_CG89 Senior Member

Lead Graphic Artist/Dev, VENOM ELITE GAMING
    As its showing such a low FW version, I will make a guess this is the factory FW version, then your PS3 has been converted to DEX and will not install a CEX PUP.

Download and try to install REBUG 4.84.2 D-REX (NOT REX) and see if it installs that then if it does you can use the REBUG Toolbox to convert back to CEX if you want to.

5. 6,684
    DeViL303

DeViL303 Developer PSX-Place Supporter

Part-Time XMB Modder
    It sounds like your PS3 was on DREX. Being on DREX causes it to look for an old FW version like 2.40. It will also cause it to not find any PUP on USB if you dont have a dex based PUP on there.

Try download this, you will find a link to the latest DREX pup in there. Download the PUP and put it on USB named like this usb:/PS3/UPDATE/PS3UPDAT.PUP https://rebug.me/?wpfb_dl=212

Algol likes this.
  6. 84
    place2b

place2b Forum Noob

Thanks for the reply,
    I only found a rar file that contains 4.84.2 D-REX.TXT file.
    I can't seem to find the PUP file.
    Kinda looks complicated webpage with very long info.
    Can you copy the download link location and post it here?
    *update* do i need to rename that text file to PS3UPDAT.PUP?

7. 6,684
    DeViL303

DeViL303 Developer PSX-Place Supporter

Part-Time XMB Modder
    open the text file, there is a link at the top.

place2b likes this.
  8. 84
    place2b

place2b Forum Noob

Thanks i just downloaded it. I will try it out

9. 84
    place2b

place2b Forum Noob

Well that was an easy fix guys.
    I would love to thank you all and this site for being out here to help people.
    I would like to donate , is that possible?

I also would want to know if there is something that i should not do or do, now that i'm on rebug.
    Is it safe to set up my wifi? Should i not visit psn network?

Thanks

10. 2
    wY04

wY04 Forum Noob

try formatting to fat32 ps3's doesn't read exfat

11. 11,564
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

signing in is safe as long as your inconspicuous. however, a few of us have been banned for unknown reasons. they'll send you an email with the reason for the banning. in my case, it was unauthorized software, so I assume they detected multiman or something. I only use webman mod on my new system. I've only signed in once (to activate my account).

12. 84
    place2b

place2b Forum Noob

Ok i'm new to all this stuff but i can pick fast that kind of thing as i do electronics repair and also have been a web developer and being born between computers..

If there is something more that i should be aware of please let me know.
    Thank you all.

Place2B

13. 11,564
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

your best option might be to use the psn patch plugin. it won't even let you sign in until you disable syscalls and delete history.

14. 84
    place2b

place2b Forum Noob

Roger that.

So what if i want to download a game on my pc, What are the steps for me to be able to play it on my ps3?
    If there is already a discussion about this let me know.

15. 2,570
    Cypher_CG89

Cypher_CG89 Senior Member

Lead Graphic Artist/Dev, VENOM ELITE GAMING
    Unless its a "Demo" or a game that is "Free to Play" on the PlayStation Store then it is Piracy and is NOT allowed on this site.

You clearly havent read the forum rules asking this, I would suggest that you do as there is zero tolerance on this and could lead to you being banned asking about it ...

https://www.psx-place.com/threads/site-forum-rules-guidelines.79/

sandungas likes this.
  16. 84
    place2b

place2b Forum Noob

Thanks i didn't know that. I have read the rules but maybe i didn't saw that one.
    It could be because of the fact that jailbreaking can be related to piracy anyways.
    I will respect this rule and my apologies

snkplkn, sandungas and DeViL303 like this.
  17. 122
    Coro

Coro Member

it can also be related to bypassing broken hardware, extending the life of ps3 (faster fan speed) or discs (any disc player that draws the disc into the drive will leave scratches over time).

the first time i jailbroke a ps3 was because an official ps3 update made the drive quit reading. sony wanted money to fix something they broke...instead i just fixed it on my own.

snkplkn likes this.
  18. 84
    place2b

place2b Forum Noob

Didn't knew sony did deactivate reading drive from an update.. that's a good reason to jailbreak. People are waiting for ps5 so ps3 is not that interresting anymore and just like windows stopped with updates on windows xp, vista, and 7 is on its way.. i thought that it was ok to ask my previous question but as i said i will respect the rules.

19. 310
    snkplkn

snkplkn Member

Well companies don't give up their copyright monopoly just because their Hardware has become old.

Nintendo sued people for distributing ROMs of consoles that are 30-40 years old.

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/nintendo-roms-emulator-loveroms-loveretro-lawsuit

https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/nintendo-awarded-12-million-rom-sites-lawsuit/

The whole debate about Copyrights/patents Monopoly and its merits/demerits is an entirely different matter.