Trying to install firmware - driving me mad! Any tips?

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by Edd, Oct 21, 2019.

1. 2
    Edd

Edd Forum Noob

Hi,

I turned on my PS3 for the first time in ages a couple of weeks ago and it made all sorts of dead HDD noises.

I bought a replacement drive on eBay (all working perfectly), swapped it over, turned on the PS3 and got the prompt to insert the update media.

Downloaded the firmware from the Sony site, stuck in on a USB stick, tried that, and got the "No applicable update data was found" error.

The USB stick is FAT32 formatted. The folder structure is correct (/PS3/UPDATE/PS3UPDAT.PUP). I've also downloaded the update file a few times, just in case of corruption (identical each time).

I've found all sorts of (probably wrong) advice on YouTube - must be a USB2 not USB3 stick (I've tried 3, and an old USB HDD), pull the controller USB out as it's checking for firmware (really?!), rename the update file to something else (nope!) - I cannot get the PS3 to recognise that the firmware is inserted. No joy.

The only thing I can think of is that I'm creating the USB stick on a Mac, as that's all I've got available. But that shouldn't make a difference, the file system is correct, I've even made sure there are none of the usual OSX hidden files on it or extended file attributes etc....

Any ideas before I bin it? :)

Thanks!

2. 1,368
    Coldheart2236

Coldheart2236 Moderator

Make sure the USB drive has MBR instead of GPT partitioning, as the PS3 cannot read GPT drives. I personally use a USB 3.0 drive with no problems, but there's no added benefit to doing so since the PS3 only supports up to USB 2.0. I'd also recommend not charging the controller with the other USB port while the USB drive is being accessed to copy the PS3UPDAT.PUP file to the internal HDD.

You seem to be on the right track, but my guess is that your drive has GPT partitioning instead of the older MBR table. I'd check this first and foremost :)

Edd likes this.
  3. 2
    Edd

Edd Forum Noob

That was it! Installing now. Thanks so much.

Coldheart2236 likes this.
  4. 1,368
    Coldheart2236

Coldheart2236 Moderator

No problem. Glad you got it sorted :)