PS3 Turning off the console powers it down entirely

Discussion in 'Help & Support' started by Horvi, Dec 28, 2019.

1. 55
    Horvi

Horvi Forum Noob

Hi, hope you all having a lovely Christmas time!
    I have this strange thing going on with my fat console for a few days now. When I turn off the console from xmb, it shuts down in a way that I can't turn it back on. The standby red led doesn't light up. The same way when you turn off power. I have to switch off the power unit at the back of the console and then back on to make it go into standby again. I tried to unplug and plug it back from wall but that doesn't work. Other than that, the console works. Is this an issue with the PSU? What can I do?

2. 1,550
    nCadeRegal

nCadeRegal Moderator

Try all the usual fixes to eliminate them. Rebuild database, reinstall firmware. Do you get any error msgs when powering back up?

3. 38
    kenzy

kenzy Member

The source of light you are using is it from your power holding company or generator

4. 55
    Horvi

Horvi Forum Noob

Kenzy sorry I don't get what you mean by that. I'll try the usual things and report back

5. 38
    kenzy

kenzy Member

What I mean is are using the source(electricity),the one everyone in your country is using or you are using the one from solar,inverter or gen

6. 55
    Horvi

Horvi Forum Noob

Yeah I use normal electricity.

7. 38
    kenzy

kenzy Member

Speaking from experience change the psu.

8. 55
    Horvi

Horvi Forum Noob

Restoring default settings from safe mode solved the problem. However now every profile has a "*" symbol before it. Eg my profile was "Adam" now it's "*Adam". This does not affect saves tho. Any ideas what caused these? What caused the the power down and why there's a "*" symbol in the profile names? Thanks guys!

9. 1,550
    nCadeRegal

nCadeRegal Moderator

10. 8,421
    DeViL303

DeViL303 Developer PSX-Place Supporter

When you restored default settings it basically wiped your xregistry, but as you did not fully factory restore, all HDD data stayed intact.

So then when the console booted with a fresh xregistry, with no users or maybe just 1 user created during initial set up, then it found all the other user folders and added those automatically but with the *.

AFAIK the accounts are as good as before, you can just rename on the XMB and add back any info that is missing if there is any.

nCadeRegal likes this.
  11. 55
    Horvi

Horvi Forum Noob

Well, it looks the problem still exists only not everytime now. But now I can't even go to safe mode because as soon as the console turns off it powers down itself. I tried it twice, but I'm afraid I'll do more harm trying to solve this issue.

12. 55
    Horvi

Horvi Forum Noob

Okay the problem came back again. It doesn't matter how I turn the system off (from xmb or from webman/multiman) the console powers down itself completely. Strangely, if I want to restart it, the same thing happens but as soon as I flip the switch back on, it turns itself on. I'm going nuts trying to solve this. Anyone?

13. 205
    wrx884

wrx884 Member

Has the console been stripped fully and put back together previously to when this issue started?? ive seen this once b4 but was on an OFW console so could be unrelated so i wont comment on the CFW side of things. Are u capable of turning on the console with its bare essentials?

14. 55
    Horvi

Horvi Forum Noob

About a month ago I disassembled the console to give it a good clean and re-applied the thermal paste. You think I may have done something wrong when I put it together?
    How do you mean turning on with bare essentials? I can turn on the console, play, watch movie etc. It works other than this.

15. 7,034
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

Is a firmware/syscon crash... have you tryed to disable webman ? :rolleyes:

16. 205
    wrx884

wrx884 Member

Its possible if it didn't do it a month prior? id try striping it back down and just double check everything went back the way it should be, look for any abnormalities. There is a chance it could be poor grounding when it goes back together so always best to rule it out if u can.

By powering it up with the bare essentials its basically having it stripped down so only the the mother board, power switch, 2 metal shields, heat sinks and the fan is connected so u can get it to run. If u can do this and replicate the issue (unless u fixed it prior) see if u can put some pressure on various parts of the board and see if theres any changes or improvements. I cant stress this enough but u just have to be careful not to short out anything so there is some risks involved if ur not careful so just look at what ur poking and prodding before u go ahead and do it. The console i mentioned that had this issue led to the syscon BGA, reflowed it and it seemed to work fine since. Im not going to say this is ur issue as i wouldn't call this one a common issue so if u see an area where it improves when u put some pressure on it thats where to focus.

Im also assuming the CFW u have installed isnt causing any issues too so this one could be totally separate. Its always harder to diagnose these sorter issues when its not a factory console.

17. 55
    Horvi

Horvi Forum Noob

Uninstalled webman, turned off console, still powers down fully.

18. 7,034
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

Disable cobra too, this way you are sure there is no pluging running in background

And btw... just turning off the PS3 1 time is not enought (because you have webman running in that session when you unistall it)
    I think is needed to turn the PS3 off at least 2 times

19. 55
    Horvi

Horvi Forum Noob

OK ill tear it apart and check everything to be sure but not more. How can I put pressure on various parts?

20. 55
    Horvi

Horvi Forum Noob

How to disable Cobra?