PS3 Turning off the console powers it down entirely

Discussion in 'Help & Support' started by Horvi, Dec 28, 2019.

1. 275
    wrx884

wrx884 Member

i didnt realise u had a non working BD so taking back to ofw would be a pain, was only to rule out a bad file installed. i would try get the pup file as dev suggested, make sure its known to be working correctly on someone elses console just to rule out ur not installing a bad file. once u have it u should be able to compare the 2 files with a simple HEX reader just to be sure urs was good originally. once confirmed cfw isnt an issue then go onto hardware trouble shooting.

2. 55
    Horvi

Horvi Member

Okay, so today I was "playing" with the console for about an hour to get the issue kick in again hoping that I can find what causes this (because every day the console turns on and off normally for 1-2 hour or so without any issue). Things I did was turning the console on and off
    1. from log in screen
    2. from xmb without starting any homebrew or games
    3. after starting each and every homebrew (mm, webman, irisman)
    4. after playing red dead redemption for about an hour
    and everything was fine!
    Then I turned it on again and played rdr for 30 mins or so, turned off the console and voila, the issue came and no stand by again....
    So I swapped the HDD for the original which has Spy Cobra 4.85 on it and the console booted to xmb which I thought won't happen because current HDD in use has Rebug Lite 4.85 installed. Anyway, I installed Rebug on the original, and nothing changed. I then went back to OFW, nothing changed.
    Any ideas?
    Ps: I wanted to back to hfw->cfw but this issue prevents me to boot into safe mode. Can I just put back the new HDD which has CFW on it?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
  3. 8,604
    DeViL303

DeViL303 Developer PSX-Place Supporter

Yes.

4. 55
    Horvi

Horvi Member

Damn I knew I only gonna get answer to my last question :P
    Okay I put back the HDD and there's no screen when I turn the console on. This is so boring now.... I think I have to wait until tomorrow morning, when the console will work again just like every morning and use that time to reinstall cfw.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
  5. 275
    wrx884

wrx884 Member

while its in its cold boot state how many times can u roughly turn it on and off b4 the issue starts popping up? reckon u could get the console to boot a few times normally with in that 30min window?

6. 55
    Horvi

Horvi Member

I'm not sure how many times I can, but I can tell you I was able to do it many times in that 1-2 hour window. Do you want me to count how many times I can turn it on/off before the issue triggers?

7. 275
    wrx884

wrx884 Member

kinda, if u can kinda gauge how long of a window u have for some tests that might lead u to some paths to check.

i'll let the others talk to u about the CFW trouble shooting as im sure those should be able to help u more in that area than im willing to at this stage.

If this was me id be stripping the console down like i mentioned previously then putting it back together making sure its all legit good.
    Still persists? id start with PSU, if u got a spare try that, if not and since we think it could be heat related, On a cold boot id make sure u can turn the console on and off normally before it gets too warm and it starts acting up. Again on cold boot id be applying some heat to the PSU's internals only and get it to a similar operating temp like it should be as if it was running in the console. install it back into the console and try boot it and see if that instantly brings up the issue? if so u could point to PSU issue.

After that id be probing around the board like i mentioned previously see if u can replicate the issue with some slight pressure. check the power connectors on board make sure they all making good contact, reflow if needed or unsure. Some may look good if u dont have a trained eye that can spot stress cracks or dry solder joins.

Still persists id be looking around the syscon area and trying the heat test on cold boot on the syscon IC itself and see if any changes happen. id do the same also along in and around where the touch pins are for the power and around where the LED's area.

unfortunately for u if u dont have some spare heat sink blocks say from an old xbox or something to do some better bare board testing (along with some cheap thermal paste just for tests) on the console this all might be a little difficult for u to do but this is where id start anyways.

Horvi likes this.