VITA / PsTV [TUT]How to use USB drive as a ux0: memory card on PSTV

Discussion in 'Tutorials & Guides' started by kozarovv, Mar 20, 2017.

1. 7,606
    kozarovv

kozarovv Super Moderator

Home Page:
    Following latest VitaShell releases by TheFlow, I decided to write this simple step by step tutorial how to mount your USB drive as a ux0: partition. From now you don't even need memory card, as PSTV have build-in memory to run hack. Then just use USB mount option, and you are ready to go!

vitacards.png

Requirements:
    • PSTV with latest HENkaku exploit
    • Unsafe homebrew enabled
    • VitaShell 1.60 or newer
    • USB Drive - External powered USB HDD, pendrive, USB Stick
    • PC with Windows 7 or newer (can be also Windows XP with installed KB955704 update)
    First Setup Steps:
    On PC:

1. Connect your USB drive to PC
    2. In "My Computer" window click on your drive using right mouse button
    3. Select "Format"
    4. In newly opened window select

• File system: exFAT
    • Allocation unit size: Default
    • Volume label: Leave it crear. If there is something, just delete it
    • Quick Format: Should be ticked/marked
    • Create MSDOS startup disk: Should be unticked/unmarked

5. Click "start" button (this step will delete all data stored on that drive!)
    6. After finished successful format connect your drive to USB port of PSTV

On PSTV:

1. Re-enable HENkaku using email app or thru www
    2. Open Vitashell
    3. Push triangle and select Mount uma0: (disconnect and reconnect USB if prompted on screen)
    4. Go to ux0: ,open it
    5. Highlight "app" folder and push Triangle
    6. Select "Mark all"
    7. Push triangle again
    8. Select "Copy" (You should see now info about how many files/folders is copied, just push X)
    9. Go to uma0: and open it
    10. Push triangle, and select "Paste"
    11. After successful copying go back to screen where you see all partitions (root of VitaShell)
    12. Push Triangle, and select "Mount USB ux0:"
    13. Wait patiently! Screen can look like it freeze!

Now your USB drive should be mounted as a ux0: But I faced some problems at first run (incl. errors). If you also get some errors, and apps don't work, then:
    1. Turn OFF PSTV
    2. Turn it ON again
    3. Re-enable HENkaku using email app or thru www
    4. Open VitaShell
    5. Push Triangle and select "Mount uma0:"
    6. Disconect, and reconnect USB when prompted
    7. Push triangle, and select "Mount USB ux0:"
    8. Screen will freeze, and after 4-5 seconds you should get info that USB is mounted!

Done, you can use now USB as a ux0:! From that moment you can do everything like before, but just remember that your ux0: is now USB until you reboot your PSTV.

Daily Usage Steps:
    1. Re-enable HENkaku using email app or thru www
    2. Open VitaShell
    3. Push Triangle and select "Mount uma0:"
    4. Disconect, and reconnect USB when prompted
    5. Push triangle, and select "Mount USB ux0:"
    6. Screen will freeze, and after 4-5 seconds you should get info that USB is mounted as ux0: !

Semi Permanent USB as ux0: :
    1. Follow daily usage steps
    2. When you want to turn OFF PSTV, use "Standby" instead using "Power OFF"
    3. After turning ON your PSTV using power button or PS buton, USB will be still mounted as ux0: even in LiveArea

-

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    Rommy667, WTF-IGO, STLcardsWS and 4 others like this.
  2. 12,151
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

@kozarovv , what is the max hdd size? also, does it read both the hdd and the real ux0 as ux0 at the same time? since u have ux0, u still need a memory card or no that's only for copying the games to, correct?

WTF-IGO and kozarovv like this.
  3. 7,606
    kozarovv

kozarovv Super Moderator

Home Page:
    No idea, 500GB is confirmed to work. I personally tested only USB Sticks 4-16GB.
    It reads boot in VitaShell (usb as uma0:) until you mount it as ux0:. Then you can only use USB ux0:, real one is unmounted until next reboot.
    I sold my memory card yesterday :) I'm using internal memory 1GB to run henkaku, and then USB stick to everything else, incl. emus, games, homebrews.

WTF-IGO, DeViL303 and pinky like this.
  4. 12,151
    pinky

thanks. when I get some money, I'll buy a new hdd. I only have psp isos/csos on my pstv. my vita is what houses my vita games. now, I can use both on the same system considering that's over 64GBs of content right there. I know @atreyu187 has A LOT, so he spent a lot of money on 64GB cards. now, he can sell those and have more money for his wedding. :)

WTF-IGO likes this.
  5. 7,081
    DeViL303

DeViL303 Developer PSX-Place Supporter

Part-Time XMB Modder
    Good tutorial.

Could change the word "fake" in the thread title to "virtual" or "emulated" or just "as a memory card" or something. Who wants to use a USB stick as a "fake" memory card , I want to use it like a "real" one. :-p

6. 5,812
    atreyu187

atreyu187 Retired Old Hunter Moderator

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:
    I have gotten a 1.5tb HDD working as well now using a powered USB hub. But as @kozarovv said use exfat as FAT32 can give issues and removed the 4gb file limit size as well. Also for faster data transfer enable hidden files on your OS and you can then see all the files as if the ux0/ was on your PC to transfer files even faster. Also DO NOT USE USB 3.0 all I have tried refuse to work or have random disconnects.

7. 7,606
    kozarovv

kozarovv Super Moderator

Home Page:
    Done! :)
    I think that limit will be around 2 TB, because of GPT partition table needed for 2,2+ TB. I think that PSTV can handle only MBR.
    Probably USB 3.0 Drives want too much power from USB even connected to external power.

DeViL303 and WTF-IGO like this.
  8. 176
    faith genesis raven

faith genesis raven Member

Thanks for the tutorial it will certainly come in handy once i get my ps tv :D

9. 5,812
    atreyu187

atreyu187 Retired Old Hunter Moderator

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:
    Ok guys I did some more research. It will detect uma0:/ up to 2tb yes but it will not mount anything above 64gb as ux0:/. I have tried six different drives.

128gb Sandisk flash drive exFAT, detected as uma0/ but refuses to mount as ux0:/

256gb Sandisk flash drive exFAT, detected as uma0/ but refuses to mount as ux0:/

32gb Orange Sandisk Cruzer Glide FAT32 formatted, works now and again but sometimes mounting errors out and all HENkaku files either games or apps all state error must download again from PSN. Simple reboot and reinstall of HENkaku and it works again

32gb Blue Sandisk Cruzer Glide exFAT formatted, works everytime flawlessly and allowed install of VPK over 4gb unlike FAT32 formatted drives. Tested with 12gb RetroARCH VPK with all covers, netplay config, cheats and ROM/BIOS files for a ready to play pack after inital install.

1.5tb Western Digital HDD in a USB 2.0 & 3.0 case formatted FAT32, Vitashell will not see uma0:/ partition in FAT32 so mounting as ux0:/ not possible, however it will see it if formatted in exFAT but you will be greeted with the error in the image below. Same drive in same case exFAT formatted same results refuses to see drive gives an error

2017-03-20-132521.jpg

500gb Western Digital self powered 2.0 USB HDD exFAT formatted, mounts as uma0:/ & ux0:/ but needs power source. I used a USB y cable and cellphone USB wall power adapter to power on. Mounts as uma0:/ without dedicated power but refuses to mount as ux0:/ without it. PSTV has popup warning not enough power to device.

2017-03-20-125926.jpg

That isall the time I have for testing but it should also be noted any drive over 64gb will not allow you to use custom theme's even the new official one as seen above. I can't get anything above 500gb to mount uma0:/ as ur0:/

It should be noted all drives were formatted prior to testing, you can use pre-exisiting FAT32 formatted drives for PS3 & PS4 owners. It will also dectect exFAT drives for PS4 owners that use one for media storage that wanted to bypass the 4gb file size limit that FAT32 has since the PS4 doesn't have NTFS support. It will not detect USB 3.0 drives formatted by the PS4 for external storage of games.

EDIT

@kozarovv it should be noted that one can detach the HDD from the PSTV and hook it up to your PC. Copy over VPK files then re-attach to get files on the drive much much faster. But you will have to go to your control panel in Windows. Also please feel free to use any info or images I have posted in the main thread if you should so see fit.

Control Panel in File Explorer Options

Vitashell.png

in order to see the files Vitashell makes for ux0:/ after first mount. You can even FTP the files from your Vita Memory Card to the external drive you are using to copy over all your apps and such without th eneed to swap back and forth. See the pic above for visual aid of what needs to be checked and un checked to see the hidden ux0:/ operating system files. If you did it right once the drive is inserted to your PC it will ook like the image below.

shgell2.png

Makes copying VPK and your Mai Dumps much faster since PSTV owners didn't get the drop and drag USB support like Vita owners. But you can simply open an FTP client and copy all the files via FTP to keeo your Live Area in tact with bubbles and all as seen below as well. SLow but it works fine in WinSCP & Filezilla as well as Chrome via PC or even TurboFTP for Android.

shell3.png

WTF-IGO and STLcardsWS like this.
  10. 12,151
    pinky

so the entire ux0 is mounted, not just the app folder? when u install a mai dump/vpk, it's installed to the external hdd? I have another, spare enclosure, but I don't have a drive to put in it. :( even if I did, I'm not sure if I have an open outlet. I have four power strips/surge protectors connected to the area near my pstv, so I may need to change one of my four-outlet ones to an eight-outlet power strip.

WTF-IGO likes this.
  11. 176
    faith genesis raven

faith genesis raven Member

my new ps tv arrived so i was setting it up
    got a 320gb usb hard drive which only cost me £16.50
    wonderful XD its funny looking into system settings and seeing the huge additional amount of space
    well huge compared to any ps vita memory card :P
    when i paid like about £50 more for a 64gb ps vita memory card....
    why sony didnt do anything like this.....

Just one question (sorry if its silly) is it required to copy all the files from ux0 onto the usb hard drive?
    thanks

12. 7,606
    kozarovv

kozarovv Super Moderator

Home Page:
    Is strongly recommended as I didn't tested any other way. PSTV can't access true ux0 in any way after uma0 mount as ux0. So I think is needed. But I can be wrong here.

13. 12,151
    pinky

I haven't tried using a usb drive on the pstv yet, but vita shell is pretty much fool proof. most likely if u try to copy over just the app folder instead of the full, true ux0 it won't let u exit. that is assuming that it mounts the usb drive as the full ux0. that's y if u try to copy over ur app.db, for example, it won't let u exit the app. u have to restart the system since the system won't be prepared for that change. vita shell kinda sets the system in limbo, so certain commands will prevent the system from exiting. a normal vpk will allow the system to exit, but modifying ur app.db and transferring back won't.

14. 2,243
    Berion

Berion Developer

@faith genesis raven: No, only folders and files are needed which You and operating system using it. It's just easier to copy all, instead of guessing which is bloatware and which is needed. For sure it's whole app, appmeta, user, tai, id from root - but I really didn't bother and just copied all and all is working.

15. 12,151
    pinky

I bought a usb flash drive (128GBs) earlier today from Sam's Club. if ur a member, they have a sandisk 128GB flash drive for $24. with this flash drive, I can have all of my psp and vita games together on one drive/"memory card" :-p. right now, I have my psp games on the pstv and my vita games on the vita. :)

16. 37
    Dirt Weed

Dirt Weed Forum Noob

I can confirm working San Disk Ultra Fit USB 3.0 Flash Drive 128 GB.

atreyu187 likes this.
  17. 24
    XC-3730C

XC-3730C Member

Very nice! Can this be done with a regular HDD with it's own external PSU?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

18. 37
    Dirt Weed

Dirt Weed Forum Noob

There is no power supply and the usb is actually very small so it's perfect. I don't know the same club model. I just decided to try the one I mentioned and confirm working on pstv.

19. 24
    XC-3730C

XC-3730C Member

I am asking if a regular hard drive with it's own external power supply can be used with this method

20. 7,081
    DeViL303

DeViL303 Developer PSX-Place Supporter

Part-Time XMB Modder
    Im sure it can, actually it is perfect, as one of the main causes of problems is drives not getting enough power. Just make sure its formatted correctly.

Im not sure if there is a max hdd size limit? Has anyone anywhere got a drive over 2TB to work?