VITA / PsTV (Tutorial) Attack of the Clones, ePSP Bubble Cloning

Discussion in 'Tutorials & Guides' started by atreyu187, Feb 20, 2017.

1. 5,770
    atreyu187

atreyu187 Retired Old Hunter Moderator

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:
    clones.jpg

What you need for this trick:
    • Vita with HENkaku enabled
    • FTP client on your PC (ex. Filezilla
    • VitaShell (optional but suggested)
    • PSP Base Game (You can use ePSP Bubble Creator like I did for this I suggest the latest v2.0 by developer CelesteBlue)
    • An Activated Vita (again ePSP Bubble Creator v2.0 can do this)
    • QCMA

Navigate to this directory using either FTP or VitaShell
    2017-02-20-142830.jpg
    Now find the game you want to clone, in this case it is NPEZ00104 if using the base game BIGHEADSNOOKER (which I suggest it is under 4mb) then simply rename the folder for example NPEZ00100-NPEZ00109 will make any clone. Just ensure you only change the last 5 numeric digits leaving the letters alone. Once you have renamed your folder simply use QCMA to backup the folder.

Do this as many times as you want to have as many clones as you need. This can be done time and again if needed. Just make sure once you are done you rename the folder back to its original name. This can be useful for using with the new ARK Auto Bubble Loader so you can launch your PSP (or even PSX games but no audio) right from your LiveArea without needing HENkaku enabled. Also these bubbles will still work if you update past 3.60 or transfer them to another system above 3.60 so long as the PSN ID is the same.​

You can then transfer your newly made backups back to your Vita or PSTV and repeat this process as long as Vita reaches maximum number of bubbles. Create folders to hold the bubbles or organize your system as you see fit.

clones2.png
    Enjoy your new bubbles and have fun.

WARNING: It is recommended to backup your base game to your PC before attempting this, neither I nor PSX-Place are responsible for your data loss if incurred but this is totally safe.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2017
    pinky likes this.
  2. 5,770
    atreyu187

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:
    It should also be noted that you can use this for PSP emulators as well or even PSX EMU's not just PSP/PSX games. As there are some emulators the PSP has that the Vita simply doesn't like N64 and Sega CD. And one can use O'clock Vita to OC the CPU to get better results as the Vitas processor is faster.

3. 11,980
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

@atreyu187 , ur cloning method is even easier than mine. I figured u might be able to do this with the psp bubble creator, but I had never tried. @anyone , if u want to change the icon and the name of ur cloned bubble, u can do so through the app.db in ur:/shell/db . u can make a png icon as well as long as u name it icon0.png in the app.db 's appicon table. if u don't rename it in the app.db, u'll get a blank icon (it won't affect the system in any way other than that). if u want custom backgrounds and icons, u need to place them in ur:/appmeta/title id/contents with the icon being outside the contents folder. I hope that's helpful for people who want custom icons/text/backgrounds to their games rather than having the one created by the psp bubble creator. ;)

---post merged ---
    I forgot to mention that with ark, u either need to place the pboot.pbp inside the folder before use qcma, or alter the app.db 's appinfo table to use the pboot.pbp as its main executable. though, u would need the game to be recorded in ur app.db (25 entries) to do the latter, so the former would be faster and easier. :-p

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2017
  4. 5,770
    atreyu187

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:
    Well once you make your pboot the art and name etc take over so it isn't named the cloned game.

5. 11,980
    pinky

it's pretty time-consuming to rename each game and alter the image files. speaking of which, u need to change icon0.dds to icon0.png in the icon table of the app.db. the pboot contains a dds file with no background, so the background remains default. there shouldn't be any contents folder in the appmeta as a result. this is as per my experience. make sure to save ur icon0.dds to icon0.png if u choose to create one. the reason is that if the dds is off size-wise if will look messed up. png images will have a curve to them though. I've tested this before with either ark or adrenaline, probably ark since it contains a dds while adrenaline, using easy installer, contains a png. I did try to fill the entire bubble with the ark image, and I was able to make the image larger than the bubble. lol

6. 11,980
    pinky

actually, now that I think about it, I think the image size only pertains to the box that encompasses the game image. I think it might be truncated with the bubble, but the box itself will display the full image which can go outside the box. I only ran a few tests when trying to make the Ark image larger than a normal psp game image. it looked weird. :p

7. 5,770
    atreyu187

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:
    I just did those for the guide and quickly deleted them. I have three bubbles none of which are clones. I made this pretty much because somebody told me I was a lawyer and it could not be done anymore This Is War less and in your face to him which she still does not believe cloning Works after reading this article

8. 11,980
    pinky

I used my bubble blower app which I posted to a thread somewhere on here. u've gotta make some changes to the app.db since it'll use the same icon0 and change eboot to pboot in tbl_appinfo as well as change the title id in the tbl_appinfo. the icon0 is in tbl_icon along with the name that's displayed in the livearea. u also need to change the page and position since it'll make clones in page like 30 when u only have one or two pages. lol

edit: it does change ur name and adds 25 entries into tbl_appinfo as well as an entry to tbl_livearea . I think that's all that's involved with cloning a game. it's easier to use an app that to it manually, but aside from the name, all the changes to the first paragraph r what u need to do after cloning the game. basic cloning just needs a change to the page and position. I'm sure u all know this since ur the vita guru, but this is for anyone who wants to know how it's done.

9. 11,980
    pinky

I didn't read ur comment fully. the bubble blower app I used on my vita and my pstv certainly does it as well using the app.db and an additional folder with the eboot.pbp. it can even add vhbl if u want, but I choose not to do that. what it does is replicates the app.db information of the original base game aside from the title id (u can make that urself) which is y u have to modify the app.db several times to make it truly unique.

atreyu187 likes this.
  10. 11,980
    pinky

@atreyu187 , I have a tutorial on adding custom backgrounds, icons, text. it's in my last vita tutorial at the bottom. my games look much better than the default versions of say the ark adrenaline easy installer. speaking of which, I found a bug with that which I mentioned. it deletes the plugin paths. it generates a new config.txt file for taihenkaku. I noticed it when I tried to sign out of psn which I made a simple tutorial of in a thread on here (not one of my main tutorials) in case u can't activate with epsp installer. it uses the net bypass plugin. what it would do is keep nagging about updating with no way to get out of it. that's what happens when it's disabled and ur already connected to the psn network to activate ur system. it even did that after disabling net signin in the registry, so I decided to look at the config.txt. I first thought that sony had patched the plugin, but nope, the config.txt was the culprit. that's an fyi. ;)

atreyu187 likes this.