PS3 [Tutorial] HDD mounting and decryption on Linux

Discussion in 'Tutorials & Guides' started by Berion, Mar 30, 2019.

1. 2,311
    Berion

Berion Developer

@Wildfire1 Of course possible, but in such way You will face another problem (depend on what You want to do) to give:
    • direct access to HDD for VM (in VMware this is somewhere in menu as I remember but in VirtalBox You must mess with config files)
    • direct access to disk image via SMB
    If You are using Windows, I recommend You just to use Rufus to "burn" Mint with Cinnamon v19.2 64bit image to pendrive and boot computer from it. On Windows 8, 8.1 or 10 this could be a little annoying because You must first turned off Fast Boot or it won't let You go to UEFI menu (to turned off Secure Boot because as I remember Mint will not boot with SB, but I could be wrong) or quick boot menu (often under F8 button; press before OS start right after POST) to choose booting media. So, run cmd.exe as administrator then type
    Code:
    powercfg hibernate off
    This was under GUI in old control panel but was removed in Windows 10 2019-03 update...

If You using macOS, then I don't know any tools and procedures to booting foreign OS.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
    DeViL303 likes this.
  2. 13
    Wildfire1

Wildfire1 Member

How would I be able to mount it in Linux Mint when its running on a virtual machine such as Virtual Box?

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

3. 2,311
    Berion

Berion Developer

Which data interesting You? Real PS3 HDD or it's image somewhere on i.e one of the windows partitions with NTFS?

And what You want get from PS3HDD? Because if You need to read some data only from dev_flashes or dev_hdd0 then easier way would be for You HDD Reader (windows version, CLI application), for which @aldostools made GUI.

4. 13
    Wildfire1

Wildfire1 Member

Actual PS3 HDD as I'm hoping to dump a copy of its entire contents for use with some projects I've got on the side plus I'm wanting to test some theories.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

5. 2,311
    Berion

Berion Developer

So then, You must read how to provide VBox a real HDD instead of his own images (it is possible but needs editing client config files, unfortunately I don't remember the details). Eventually, dump PS3 HDD as sector by sector copy, convert it to *.vhd or static *.vdi and attach in Vbox menu as another virtual disk.

For fun with PS3 tables I strongly recommending SATA<->SDXC controller. Minimum size is 4GiB. Just FYI. ;)

6. 1
    someguy

someguy Forum Noob

Has anyone gotten the ufs2 partition to be mounted as writable?

7. 2,311
    Berion

Berion Developer

In first post You have tutorial how to write to PS3HDD on Linux. I didn't merge it with tutorial about decrypting/mounting ro because it is a little problematic and we have three ways to do it, all have some issues.

I'm working in free time on, let's say, different approach but this will take some time. In short my idea is to expose mapper with "gameos partition" as nbd and mount it on FreeBSD (from VM). Complicated and sick, but 100% safe as UFS2 is native fs of this system family.

The best way would be taking port of the HDD Reader for Linux and invest some time to add normal write support but I'm not a programmer, especially for such time consuming, tedious (qa tests) and hard task.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  8. 13
    Wildfire1

Wildfire1 Member

One of the things I want to do is use live data from the actual system is for helping with RPCS3 as it might help with fixing bugs and such. Also with the right hardware, you could replicate the system and have one for OFW/HFW and CFW with one being an actual console and the other a virtual one or both virtual for testing out new mods and such.