Tutorial - How to Manually Update Vita & PSTV (Zload not Required)

Discussion in 'Tutorials & Guides' started by atreyu187, Mar 7, 2016.

1. 5,904
    atreyu187

atreyu187 Old Hunter Moderator

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:
    Clipboard01.jpg

Here is a quick guide for those of you needing to update your Vita to any firmware. I will be adding firmwares over time so that we can have access to them here as Zload is down quiet often and most have to rely on that even though it isn't needed. So if you have any firmware files please share them.

Getting Ready
    You’ll only need a couple of things before getting started.​
    • qCMA – An app used to transfer data between your computer and your PS Vita without requiring an internet connection (available for both Mac and Windows).
    • Any application that can create and edit XML files. I use Notepad++, but most simple notepad apps should do
    • Download the PS Vita firmware you want to install, the one you want to upgrade your Vita for your exploit game(s)
    • Now, Lets proceed to Step 1

• Locate Your Vita’s Updates Folder
      Step 1: Start by opening qCMA on your computer. Once done, open the app’s Settings, where you will find two tabs, Folder and Other.

qCMA-Settings1.png
      QCMA Settings

On the Other tab, make sure you have Offline Mode checked and that the CMA Protocol version displays the version of your target firmware.

qCMA-Offline-Mode-Enabled.png
      QCMA Offline Mode Enabled

Next, on the Folder tab, under the Updates / Web content section you will find the path of the folder you need to use for updating your PS Vita. Locate the folder on your computer and keep it at hand.

PS-Vita-Updates-Folder.png
      QCMA Settings Folder Path PS Vita Updates Folder

qCMA-Settings-Folder-Path.png

• Get the Firmware File Ready

Step 2: Now head to the file of the PS Vita target firmware you downloaded previously. When you unzip it, you will get another three zip files.

PS-Vita-Firmware-3-ZIP-Files.png
      PS Vita Firmware 3 ZIP Files

From these, you will only need the firmware itself, which is the largest file of the bunch. In this example, it is the zip file called ‘PSVita OFW 3.36’. You can delete or save the other two, as you will not use them.
      Then unzip the Vita firmware file. The resulting file will be ‘PSP2UPDAT.PUP’.

• Step 3: Now take this file and place it in the PSV Updates folder you located before. Once done, leave it there. We will return to this folder one last time in a few moments.

PS-Vita-Update-File-Final-Location.png
      PS Vita Update File Final Location

Create the XML File

Since you will update your PS Vita via USB and in offline mode, you need to ‘tell’ qCMA to pull the update file from the PSV Updates folder, instead of looking for it on the web. For this, you will need to create an XML file.

• Step 4: Thankfully, the vast majority of this work is done, since the developer of qCMA has listed the necessary code on this website. Head there and copy all the code within the code window. Replace region ID's, system versions and URL as needed for your firmware and setup.

Code:
      <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
      <update_data_list>
      <region id="REG_ID">
          <np level0_system_version="00.000.000" level1_system_version="00.000.000" level2_system_version="00.000.000" map="00.000.000" />
          <np_d level0_system_version="00.000.000" level1_system_version="00.000.000" level2_system_version="00.000.000" map="00.000.000" />
          <version system_version="00.000.000" label="0.00">
            <update_data update_type="full">
              <image size="0">http://www.example.com/PSP2UPDAT.PUP</image>
            </update_data>
          </version>
      </region>
      </update_data_list>
      qCMA-Update-Code.png
      QCMA Update Code

Also, take note of the file name at the top of the window ‘psp2-updatelist.xml‘ (without the brackets). As that will be the name of the XML file when you create it.

• Step 5: Now open your notepad, text editor, or whatever app you plan to use to create your XML file. Give your file the name mentioned above and then paste the code you copied before.

qCMA-Code-Copied-Before-Edit.png
      QCMA Code Copied Before Edit

• Step 6: Done? Great. Now head to the bottom of the code, where it shows region id=”us” (the highlighted text shown below). There, edit all the numbers in that piece of code so that they reflect the target firmware you want to update. Take a very close look at the screenshot below. Check how I replaced most of the zeros with "3.18" or "3.36" for example
      qCMA-XML-Code-Edited.png
      QCMA XML Code Edited

Important Note: If you have a PS Vita with an account on another region (like Europe or Japan for example), make sure you edit only the section relevant to your region.

• Step 7: Once done, save the XML file and place it in the PSV Updates folder mentioned previously. Now that folder should have two files as shown below.

PS-Vita-Update-Files-Ready.png
      PS Vita Update Files Ready

Ready? Now the final step on your computer is to start qCMA and click on the Refresh database option to make sure its database is updated with the files you just added.
      Now head to your PS Vita.

• On Your PS Vita

Step 8: First, press and hold the PS button to bring up the quick settings. There, disable Wi-Fi and enable Flight Mode. You don’t want your Vita to accidentally update to the latest firmware. Then turn your Vita off and then back on again, just in case.

PS-Vita-Enable-Flight-Mode.png
      PS Vita Enable Flight Mode

• Step 9: Now plug your PS Vita to your computer, open the Settings app and select System Update.

PS Vita Settings System Update

PS-Vita-Settings-System-Update.png

Next, select Update by Connecting to a PC.

PS-Vita-Update-via-PC.png

PS Vita Update via PC
      After a short while, you will then see the message telling you that a new firmware version is available. Choose Next and then proceed with the update as usual.

PS-Vita-Update-Screen.png
      PS-Vita-Update-Screens.png

Congrats! Your PS Vita is now on the firmware you wanted.

PS-Vita-Update-Ready.png
      PS Vita Update Ready

Important Note: After this process, don’t forget to get rid of the files in the PSV Updates folder. Otherwise you might not be able to connect via qCMA in the future to transfer files.

And that’s it. Enjoy you newly updated PS Vita!

PlayStation_Vita_TV_logo.png
    Updating the PSTV / VitaTV using a USB Flash Drive

• Now how we can update a PSTV in a much easier way simply using a USB flash drive. Let's go over that shall we?​

What is needed?
      • PSTV system
      • Computer (Windows/Mac)
      • FAT32 formatted USB flash drive with 150 MB of free space.

Noob Friendly Steps
      1. Using a computer, create a folder named "PSVITA" on the USB flash drive. Inside that folder, create another folder named "UPDATE".
      2. Download the update file, and save it in the "UPDATE" folder you created in Step 1.
      3. Save the file with the file name "PSVUPDAT.PUP".
      4. Click to start the download, then move PSVUPDAT.PUP to the PSVITA/UPDATE folder
      5. Turn off the power of your PS TV system completely not standby mode.
      6. Press and hold the R1 & PS button then press and hold power button on your PS TV system for at least 7 seconds to turn on the power. The system starts in safe mode.
      7. Connect a controller using a USB cable, and then press then PS button.
      8. Select [Update System Software] > [Update from USB Storage Device].
      9. Connect the USB flash drive that the update file is saved on to your PS TV system. Follow the screens to complete the update.
      If your PS TV system does not recognize the update file, check that the folder names and file name are correct. Enter the folder names and file name in single-byte characters using uppercase letters.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2016
    WTF-IGO, pinky and STLcardsWS like this.
  2. 1,415
    nCadeRegal

nCadeRegal Moderator

Nice tut atreyu187, I think many will find this use full here.

3. 5,904
    atreyu187

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:
    [MENTION=2]STLcardsWS[/MENTION] maybe you can do some of your formatting magic to make it more pleasing on the eyes. The other guides use the Zload method, this is another way with some mild editing from me. I am also uploading Vita firmwares for our database with multiple mirrors. Ill add links to thjs guide once I have more uploaded.

Currently only have 3.18 and 3.30 uploaded and only 3.18 posted here. Figured i wod start with that as its the Vita's "3.55" golden firmware. All hacks and bubble methods work as well a PKG manager and WebKit exploit. It is fully customizable and the only one with ePS1 exploits for TN-X (UPDATE TheFlow has released PS1 bubbles for 3.57 and below for the Vita, 3.20 is still the only method with TN-X for PSTV users) as well as having multiple exploitable games from older and newer hacks.

Going to add manually updating the PSTV as well. While this method works it is much easier to use a FAT32 formatted flash drive and update via recovery menu ala PS3/PS4 way.

Last edited: May 28, 2016
  4. 2
    mrduongonline1

mrduongonline1 Forum Noob

Home Page:
    If your PS TV system does not recognize the update file, check that the folder names and file name are correct

5. 5,904
    atreyu187

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:
    Ok updated post with source to all Vita firmwares!!

STLcardsWS likes this.
  6. 9,050
    STLcardsWS

STLcardsWS Administrator

Better late then never :) .. (think this request was made prior the software change/hack)

atreyu187 likes this.
  7. 5,904
    atreyu187

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:
    Well the sources have been greatly improved. Between the sticky post I don't think there is anything missing from FW 1.0-3.60 even Debug/Test firmwares and the entire ARK/TNV/TNC/TNX/VHBL/HENkaku files can be found now.

8. 12,270
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

I used ur tutorial. I saw this on wololo: a lot of people were having issues with the firmware being detected (i.e. ur on the latest firmware). I figured out the issue is that it can't detect either the pup or the xml. the reason (likely) is that the pup and xml r in the wrong folder. this happened to me actually. my system was putting the folders in the my documents' folder instead of outside of it with the other game/app folders. there were two folders for updates: one in the documents folder; one outside the documents folder. either use the one mentioned or change it which is what I did.

9. 7,628
    kozarovv

kozarovv Super Moderator

Home Page:
  10. 12,270
    pinky

kozarovv likes this.
  11. 7,628
    kozarovv

kozarovv Super Moderator

Home Page:
    Thanks, I don't want to mess anything up. I'm helping guy that brought vita, installed henkaku and... Tried one of bricker as his first vpk. Now he got second mainboard that is on 3.35 and I'm trying to help him get henkaku again.

12. 12,270
    pinky

yw. I still have the update and xml on my laptop, and I double-checked it before posting. :-p

13. 12,270
    pinky

I've finally updated my pstv to 3.60:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]