Tutorial - How to Remove the "Featured" Screen on PSTV/Vita TV

Discussion in 'Tutorials & Guides' started by atreyu187, Oct 2, 2016.

1. 5,752
    atreyu187

atreyu187 Retired Old Hunter Moderator

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:
    featuredShot.jpg

So this is the easiest guide I have ever written. The "Featured" screen for the PSTV is so annoying always making me take a look at it and slowing down what I am trying to do at the time. Sony never updates it with anything new and until @DeViL303 @bitsbubba or some other crafty genius can make use of the XML files I feel it needs to go.

This useless screen isn't even in every region as some countries have seen it as intrusive ad possibly illegal so Sony just didn't add the darn thing. Would have been nice if they gave us a choice to disable this screen.

So here we go as it will take you longer to read this then to actually go the "mod" but here is what is needed to do this. BTW this will also stick after a firmware update to 3.61 if you should so choose. It with my little guide on the permanent v1 whitelist survive the updates.

PSTV/Vita TV on 3.60
    HENkaku installed and enabled
    VitaRW
    File Manager e.g. VitaShell molecularShell or OneLUA
    FTP access (not needed but up to you)

1 - Turn on system and enable HENkaku hack

2 - Install and run VitaRW & wait for the app to exit

3 - Use the file manager to navigate to vs0:/app

4 - Once there find the folder "NPSX10102"

5a - I am using VitaShell so press :but tri:and select Rename and change to "_NPSX10102" by placing an underscore in front of the folders name. I do this as it moves it to the top of the list so I know what has been altered.

2016-10-03-025755.jpg
    FINALLY FOUND A USE FOR THE BUILT-IN SCREENSHOT FUNCTION!

5b - Fire up the FTP server on the PSTV and connect with your favorite FTP client then dump "NPSX10102" and store it in a safe place so you can put it back if you ever need it for some reason (hint hint if we get a XMBMPD-esque mod <<<< @DeViL303 & XMBM+ team PSTV reunion?)

6 - After this is done reboot your system and be amazed as that stupid screen is now gone. And if you have the auto refresh option ticked on your system.

Now you can also do option "5c" which is rename the stupid folder and dump it via FTP just to be extra cautious. It is what I did but won't cause any harm removing it totally. And while you are all at it make FTP dumps of os0 & vs0 as you never know when your kid might want to watch Netflix and you may need it to hard wire in a flasher to go back to 3.60. But one can also use HENkaku v4 as it still has the old spoof that will not allow updating like v5/6 do. I keep a v4 offline installer on my system when I am away but use HENkakuDroid or the official installer via my modified shell's XML file.

Hope someone finds this useful as I haven't seen anyone post about this or even ask how to remove it so it may just be me that found this screen annoying. But it has not updated to anything "NEW" since launch day when I sat in line to get this system. Back then even I was disappointed but now with the official "whitelist"
    BLACKLISTED forever it is truly an amazing mico system.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  2. 3,980
    bitsbubba

bitsbubba Super Moderator / Developer Super Moderator Developer

Homicidal Super Moderator
    Home Page:
    i see quite a few jabs @ me there but all in all nice tutorial, seems I might have to look at this to see what I can come up with

DeViL303, Phil and atreyu187 like this.
  3. 5,752
    atreyu187

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:

The "jabs" are to peak your interest as I know either you or @DeViL303 can make some magic happen. Was all in good fun I assure you bud as I have the utmost respect for you. And FYI my kid updated my 3.36 Vita before HENkaku came out to watch Hulu when she was at my moms as the weather was bad so the dish didn't work. So my little did what yours did and updated to entertain herself.

I just had good luck as that was when 3.60 was out but prior to HENkaku. I didn't have VHBL installed only TNV so it was as stock as they come. Luckily being a PS+ subscriber I had tons of new games to play as I "purchased" them even when I didn't have a Vita just in case ever got one.

Luckily I also had a PSTV on 3.60 to have PSN access with VHBL bubble so I was able to add that to my system to get emulation back as you can swap memory cards between the systems. Which is a good thing as QCMA backups going from Vita to PSTV work but a QCMA backup from PSTV can't be restored to a Vita. Another dumb rule from Sony.

The jabs were just reminders of making those backups and some preventive action as well. When my kid has my system I removed all the apps from the app.db that could ask for PSN access and another accidental update. It has HENkaku v4 offline installer so she can still use the fun apps. I just swap to daddy's app.db when I use it as in the DB folder there is an app.db and an app.db.bak so I can safeguard my system as well as keep everything I need instead of keeping a crippled system just to ensure an update doesn't happen.

I do the same so I can turn the semi DEX on and off with a simple rename and reboot. It's a little time consuming but much better than having to buy a new system. BTW you can delete everything in vs0 and it will not break your system but will force you into safe mode to restore the firmware.

DeViL303 likes this.
  4. 3,980
    bitsbubba

Home Page:
    Well I'll look into anything I can do, haven't really looked into any other drive besides memory card. Another good thing is @DeViL303 just got 2 PSTVs so hopefully we start to see some fun thing come from him

DeViL303 and atreyu187 like this.
  5. 5,752
    atreyu187

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:

The page I am talking about disabling here has a XML with URL links to PKG files and the likes. Even it replaced with useful stuff like links to Place or something other then the same five games would be awesome. I just chose to disable it. Heck I am sure one could set it up with the alternate HENkaku installers. Like HENkaku v4 which the spoofer blocks updates as the system thinks it's on 3.61 also is the only spoofer that allows PSN access with DEX files in place. I have molecularshell's installer that points to a server for HENkaku v4 while VitaShell installs v6. Could even be redirected to a locally hosted server so one could change the DNS thus blocking web access but still retaining FTP and the ability to enable HENkaku.

DeViL303 likes this.
  6. 3,980
    bitsbubba

Home Page:
    DeViL303 and atreyu187 like this.
  7. 5,752
    atreyu187

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:
    Have you taken it online? Does the page appear like the first pic in the original post?

Edit

Moved to private forum. It's the wrong folder I just went to do this with a PSTV for a buddy but I need to fix this. VitaRW is needed and the file is in vs0 not the one I have shown. That is the debug Mini Settings folder. I'll be back in an hour to fix this colossal mishap.

8. 3,980
    bitsbubba

Home Page:
    Yes it show but I have no apps on ux0 that have that title ID or any that start with N

atreyu187 likes this.
  9. 5,752
    atreyu187

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:

Yes I have to fix the tutorial reread the post after I edited it the actual folder is in the firmware directory that is just the folder to enable some debug settings that I have disabled while using the stock shell. VitaRW is needed to either edit or delete the folder and it's a totally different folder name I realized it when I went to work on another PSTV. My head hasn't been right this week dealing with a lot of issues. Sorry guys. I'll fix it in a little bit I just don't have the time to do it right now

DeViL303 likes this.
  10. 3,980
    bitsbubba

Home Page:
    NPSX10102 ?

11. 5,752
    atreyu187

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:

Yes and guide fixed and pics updated.

DeViL303 likes this.
  12. 11,921
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

this menu is very annoying. I removed it today when I installed the permanent white list, adrenaline, and a theme since the system overwrote the default icons that I was using since themes weren't introduced until 3.30 and I was on 3.20. :-p