[Tutorial] multiMAN v04.81.xx & SACD Ripper

Discussion in 'multiMAN' started by baileyscream, Jan 11, 2017.

1. 289
    complexusername

complexusername Member

IT Consultant
    I might not be an audiophile but I could tell the difference between raw SACD and CD quality. I bought one of my favorite albums to rip on my newly christened SACD ripper and I was blown away at how great this album sounded. It was almost like listening to it for the first time. My point is, I know how the album sounded on CD since I played the hell out of it for years and I prefer the SACD version. I think it could come down to how well the original source material was kept and what format it was saved on so this can differ by release. The album I purchased was Rage Against The Machine's self-titled album.

I have read multiple comments from self-proclaimed audiophile/enthusiasts on the internet regarding blind tests of SACD, DSF and FLAC conversions. Every single comment or forum post that I found would say they can somehow tell the difference between all of these formats. Is it true? I don't know yet. This is why i'm trying out different encoders and different playback options. Just want to share my findings with you to compare and contrast.

It's all good that I can't mount the SACD ISO on my PS3. I've been converting the songs to DSF and adding them to my media server. I can't wait to get a good DAC and setup for this!

2. 7,843
    bguerville

bguerville Moderator

You don't need to believe me at my word. Lol
    Read the research summary yourself :
    http://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=14195

What makes people believe they hear a difference is the multi channel effect but it is not the quality difference per se.

And regarding FLAC, I honestly fail to see how a bit by bit copy of an audio file could be different, that's what you get out of the FLAC decoder.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
    complexusername likes this.
  3. 289
    complexusername

complexusername Member

IT Consultant
    Thanks for the read @bguerville but I think i've found something in there that makes me skeptical:

I don't think anyone is going to be able to tell the difference between SACD and CD if you're forcing SACD to playback on CD standard bitrate and frequency. It's like upgrading your internet connection to 1Gb fiber but using a 10 year old 100Mb router. I don't think that's a good standard for testing it.

I feel like i'm going off-topic, feel free to move my posts.

4. 3,089
    Joonie

Joonie Developer

as @deank suggested, you can rip the DSD data from SACD iso and make DVD ISO to play it on SACD-R compatible BD / DVD Player or let PS3 play it with COBRA as well.

The whole point of having SACD is to make $ONY rich by paying them their license + higher quality audio data that's not on regular AUDIO CD..

So regardless of quality concerns, it's doable anyways.

SACD is basically DRM + DSD + Redbook PCM, and you only need the DSD data from it to keep the original quality that you intended to use

DeViL303 and complexusername like this.
  5. 7,843
    bguerville

bguerville Moderator

But of course there is always such a bottleneck at 44.1khz....
    What hardware do you use to play your sacd isos? Hi-fi usually uses 44.1khz for output. Your speakers don't go above 35-40khz anyway! Lol
    And remember that humans cannot hear anything above 20khz...
    You cannot think you are getting the Mhz of the sacd sample frequency?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
  6. 289
    complexusername

complexusername Member

IT Consultant
    I'm fortunate enough that I have clients with high-end theatre rooms with some monster equipment. I got to do my SACD vs CD test on an Oppo BDP-105D with USB DAC hooked up to some very expensive speakers (can't remember the model off the top of my head). Who knows, it could be a placebo effect!

7. 7,843
    bguerville

bguerville Moderator

Putting aside our human limitations, the speakers are actually the weak link nowadays. Good speakers are at 35-40kHz max, I heard of speakers that could reach 45 or 50kHz, no need to mention the price, nobody can afford it! Lol

complexusername likes this.
  8. 289
    complexusername

complexusername Member

IT Consultant
    Interesting. Looks like more bathroom reading material for me!

I appreciate the input @bguerville as this gives me a better perspective on the subject. I'm doing research on this for my own entertainment and also for work.

And as always, thanks to @deank and @Joonie !

bguerville likes this.
  9. 1
    Irvin Goh

Irvin Goh Forum Noob

I am on the latest rebug v4.82.2. The current SACD Ripper v0.38 is buggy. Doesnt show a progress bar and hangs after pressing enter. Although the SACD is ripped but i cant tell whether it is a corrupted file or not.

10. 7
    varm

varm Forum Noob

Same happening here.
    SACD-v0.38 freeze, no progress bar no signs once the ripping is confirmed and not coming back until power off the console. But an ISO file is found in the USB ripped from the SACD.

And also SACD is recognized but unable to play directly in the XMB interface ever since 4.84 HFW, and then REBUG CFW installed.

my PS3 is CECHA12 fat model 60G. multiman4.82 and COBRA 8.01 installed.

Any suggested next steps ? Thank you !!!

11. 7
    varm

varm Forum Noob

Went through a rebuild of my CD and SACD library. The buggy situation was found only happening to some SACD but some ripping progress works completely fine. Maybe there are a couple different format of SACD with the same ISO.

Just all the SACD still unable to play directly in the XMB interface in my case.