PS3 Tutorial - NEC/TOKIN Capacitors Replacement - YLOD FIX

Discussion in 'Tutorials & Guides' started by Naked_Snake1995, Jul 15, 2019.

1. 5,915
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

Not sure if the walls of a copper pipe are going to have an excesive thickness... electrically is fine but is going to be harder to solder it because you are adding more metal... so the solder job will need more heat
    But well... you can hammer it to make it thinner :D

Another thing you can do to make the solder job easyer is to make some cuts like in this drawing
    This cuts allows you to touch with the solder iron in the cuts to heat the motherboard and the copper sheet at the same time
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  2. 1,720
    Naked_Snake1995

Naked_Snake1995 Senior Member

Graphic Designer
    Whomever tries this its solely responsable for the damage they do to they´re machines, i always make my guides with the upmost detail possible,and make my tests personally, so i know what i am publishing and what kind of information i am trying to aware and educate.

My intentions with this guide was to make people to think outside the box, regarding the reballing and the Heatgun repairs,which are not definitive solutions and are more waste of money, the solution was under our noses all along,but it seems people didnt realize it until much later on the PlayStation3´s life-cycle, after owning Reballed machines in the past and reflowed as well,none of them lasted me more than a year.

Wheneven someone tries to follow this guide, they´ll must have at least some sort of base knowledge to get in touch with what kind of repair they are doing,and the risks involved, the information is there, now how you decide to follow the guide is strictly up to the end-user, and sometimes unexperienced users harm theyre units because they didnt thought of the risks and the confidence to perform such delicate repair.

Revak3115 likes this.
  3. 1,720
    Naked_Snake1995

Graphic Designer
    That is some fine clean work, did you test it personally? All well organized, like it should be, but ill guess ill stick to my 45º degree SMD due to be working only with a Soldering Iron,but great job regardless :)

4. 81
    DoublesAdvocate

DoublesAdvocate Member

Earlier in the thread someone was asking for photos of undamaged caps, I can buy some of the originals if you'd like. If/when mine does YLOD I'd prefer to replace them with caps of original spec anyway even if they will fail after another 4000-6000 hours.

5. 1,720
    Naked_Snake1995

Graphic Designer
    Well at least to have a perspective on the NEC/TOKIN failure point, it would be great if someone used the internal WEBMAN timing to determine the total days from the point the console YLODed and after the repair, but usually the NECs die within 3 to 6 years range, depending on the conditions of the machine and if there is more heat than usually, it degrades the NECs faster.

For me, i use both combinations of Tantalums and NECs, so there its an increased reliability, but nothing wrong on using the original specification NEC/TOKIN OE128E from the factory, its just they aren't particularly reliable, and you may have to switch them at some point.

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

Algol likes this.
  6. 81
    DoublesAdvocate

DoublesAdvocate Member

7. 399
    snkplkn

snkplkn Member

Hey @Naked_Snake1995 ,this Blonde is fixing PS3 YLOD. What do you think? lol

8. 1,720
    Naked_Snake1995

Graphic Designer
    Perfect repair, 10/10 - Marry her

MJ from iFixit, i remember her, disassembly me like that PlayStation3

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
    Fin9ersMcGee and snkplkn like this.
  9. 4
    Semaj

Semaj Member

I’ve done this with CECHC03 PS3s today, one of them had never been opened until today, and neither are working.

I’ve replaced each of the TOKINs with 4x 330uF 2.5v Tantalums. Added a bridge wire for positive rail for both groups.

Anyone have any ideas on what to check next? Given that neither work, I’m more than sure it’s something I’ve not done correctly.

Cheers!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. 88
    Fanhais

Fanhais Member

reballing rsx bga balls or gpu in short

11. 1,720
    Naked_Snake1995

Graphic Designer
    Well not to judge, but you should have just replaced one NEC for starters, replacing all the NECs its never a good idea, next time, just replace one NEC on the bottom side on the RSX and then if you want one on the CELL.

Revak3115 likes this.
  12. 437
    Md Hesam

Md Hesam Member

Home Page:
  13. 4
    Semaj

Semaj Member

Well the first PS3 I replaced them all, then the second I replaced 2 at a time, testing as I went. Didn’t think it would matter beyond possibly using new capacitors unnecessarily.

What’s the difference? Genuinely interested.

14. 222
    VTSTech

VTSTech Member

Home Page:
    The bottom left strips on the top side look a lil dark. Maybe redo those ones and clean up the strips. I suspect the capacitors are not making connection.

CPU/GPU Reflows fixed YLoD's for a long time on PS3's did you rule that out before doing this?

15. 1,720
    Naked_Snake1995

Graphic Designer
    Reflowed only worked,because you heated the Capacitors,not the actual GPU, do it more often and you´ll ruin the GPU itself, this technique is only for diagnostics, same with reballing.

16. 4
    Semaj

Semaj Member

Not sure, I think it’s the harsh lighting from the camera flash. Either way, I’ll have a look tomorrow and check it. The soldering job is quick and dirty so may have missed something.

I have another PS3 that has been reflowed a little while back but given that this article is about how the problem isn’t the chips but the capacitors I thought I’d try it.

17. 1,720
    Naked_Snake1995

Graphic Designer
    Unless you have a faulty GPU that shows artifacting or GLOD "Green Light Of Death", that the PS3 turns on but there is no display, reflowing isnt absolutely necessary, but also works for diagnosting fautly NECs, they do love heat.

Semaj likes this.
  18. 81
    DoublesAdvocate

DoublesAdvocate Member

I've bought about 3 PS3s now which all seem to have had a YLOD repair performed on them at some point and all of them usually had a little over ~4000 hours on them, If you check the data sheet it says that the performance of the chip seems to degrade at 5-10% every 1000 hours at 105C. Obviously neither the CELL or the RSX are reaching 105C and even then the 0E128's are a small distance away from them but it would make sense that once they've fallen out of spec by ~20% that they would begin to cause problems.

sandungas likes this.
  19. 1,720
    Naked_Snake1995

Graphic Designer
    So tell me something, whats your achievement with showing this video? Pooring money into Reballing wont get you anywhere lad.

Kornmeal likes this.
  20. 81
    DoublesAdvocate

DoublesAdvocate Member

I looked a little deeper into what would be the longest lasting solution for capacitors and it seems as though tantalum capacitors are also prone to failure. Louis Rossmann makes great videos about electronic repair usually focusing on apple products (only because they're the most popular). In one of these he even mentions how a lot of apple repair places did the same thing people on youtube did to PS3s to repair the YLOD where they would heat up the GPU thinking it was failing (which would also heat up the capacitor, thereby restoring it) and when it started working again they would assume it was fixed.

I still see the point of using tantalum though, they're much easier to reattach without a hot air station and are easier(and cheaper) to buy online than the original NEC/TOKIN caps. The capacitor he uses to replace the tantalum is also much larger than the original meaning I doubt it would fit in the PS3.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
    sandungas and Semaj like this.