PS3 Tutorial - NEC/TOKIN Capacitors Replacement - YLOD FIX

Discussion in 'Tutorials & Guides' started by Naked_Snake1995, Jul 15, 2019.

1. 37
    squeept

squeept Forum Noob

...? Exactly what did I say that was inappropriate or angry? I randomly picked a post about hot air to make a general point about anyone using hot air.

jacobsson and wrx884 like this.
  2. 124
    Edwired

Edwired Member

Did I clearly tell you a few pages back to not include me in your conversation???

3. 114
    wrx884

wrx884 Member

If using bottom heating element like we both mentioned then finishing off with a hot air wand it will work still and not destroy the tokin caps plastic. as we both know all the work is done with the bottom temp, the top temp is just to finish it off so getting it close to 220* it will be good enough to remove and not destroy them.

4. 124
    Edwired

Edwired Member

i know the in and out of the ir-station that use light than using hot air station which blows way too much on little smd causing it to move or blow off or even melt plastic

5. 37
    squeept

squeept Forum Noob

[​IMG]

Then your hot air is far better than mine, I can only do it with IR.

6. 124
    Edwired

Edwired Member

[​IMG] that not appropriate like

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
  7. 114
    wrx884

wrx884 Member

Its nothing fancy just a scotle 858D+ thats a few years old now, its all about that bottom temp though.

atm i can only do this with consoles that haven't been re-balled, all the ones ive attempted these repairs on that are still in YLOD state have leaded solder so the bottom temp gets the BGA's into liquid state which isnt good for just the purpose of removing the Tokins.

jacobsson likes this.
  8. 37
    squeept

squeept Forum Noob

Well I've never actually tried hot air to take the TOKINs off intact since my big preheater is .... my IR station. So if I've already got it on there, I'm just gonna use the IR top. I'm only speaking from my experiences on handheld boards with plastic connectors where I've tried using my standalone tiny preheater with hot air on top. Never could get it to work without at least warping. Luckily handheld boards are thinner, so when I need to harvest a connector from a dead board I just set fire to the opposite side of the board with max heat and smack it against the table. No top heat at all!

9. 114
    wrx884

wrx884 Member

Give it a shot, i use my scotle IR station as the bottom heater too i just find i can only remove 2 tokins if i use my IR top heater with it as its only 80x80 so its kind of localised then u need to wait for the machine to cool down each time to try the next lot. Flux is the only pain in the arse doing it this way as it goes through the vias and onto the bottom plates and can actually catch fire lol but im sure u already know this.

10. 124
    Edwired

Edwired Member

Then again you both still missing the bigger picture how do you remove something without heat and irfrared and cause no damage without warping etc this would test your knowledge and get back with an answer

11. 114
    wrx884

wrx884 Member

LOL is this a trick question or?? hahaha

The bigger picture is to find which cap is bad, thats it.

jacobsson likes this.
  12. 124
    Edwired

Edwired Member

It is a trick question you have to find the answer within the question so im waiting

13. 114
    wrx884

wrx884 Member

good luck with that, got no time for those games haha nor does this thread.....

14. 124
    Edwired

Edwired Member

15. 124
    Edwired

Edwired Member

By the time I get the ps3 I'm gonna try a different method than using a thick gauge wire. It just dawn on me that paper clip is smaller and have a thick plastic coating on them which would suit the route from v-in to v-out than rather going around the bend with a think wire as it too messy looking in my opinion

16. 717
    sp193

sp193 Developer

Home Page:
    In another retro gaming forum that I am on, the folks there sometimes mentioned that capacitor types were selected due to their characteristics. Replacing them with another type, sometimes worked, but sometimes did not do the job. That was due to ESR ratings, or because the circuit required a certain characteristic of the original type.

At least consider getting the right parts. If you only have thick wires (particularly the mains cable type), consider getting a suitable one.
    I cannot imagine soldering a paper clip to something that was probably soldered by a machine. A paper clip is still quite thick and is hard to bend (it is not made of copper). Would solder even stick to it?

wrx884 likes this.
  17. 124
    Edwired

Edwired Member

Well I did the test on paperclip theory it pretty much metal mainly as soft steel with some sort of tin/nickal coating. It can be soldered at the tip of it as you see what I'm trying to do is make it a straight line from v-in to v-out it where the flow isnt effected where the wire have to do the bend in worse case if the wire melted it can cause the short anything at around NEC tokin. The way I see it a couple of paperclips maybe four little ones or two big ones and do it twisted pair as it only going to supply less than 1.5v or whatever way it does from v-in to v-out I haven't figured out what amp/current from that yet but I'm willing to try it as I only bought the ps3 for €20 as I have nothing to lose here.

The part I got stated this sorry about the bold oversized text it from mouser site
    2R5TPE470M9

Mfr.:
    Panasonic

Description:
    Tantalum Capacitors - Polymer SMD 2.5volts 470uF ESR 9mohm

Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
  18. 37
    squeept

squeept Forum Noob

I'm finished with the CECHA01 test. They're not completely isolated, but it's enough to get an accurate reading for both capacitance and ESR. Remember you're measuring all 4 at once, so it should be within 20% of 4800. ESR should read lots o' zeroes. Resistance should be ....well, just not shorted.

Step 1: Lift the GPU. It needs to be removed to help isolate the caps, and once you have the reading that proves the caps are fine, you're going to be reballing it anyway.
    Step 2: Pull 3 resistors.
    Step 3: Measure.
    Step 4: Reball with confidence.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

sandungas, jacobsson and wrx884 like this.
  19. 2,838
    Cypher_CG89

Cypher_CG89 Senior Member

Lead Graphic Artist/Dev, VENOM ELITE GAMING
    1 or 2lb line would be enough, anything heavier or thicker and you defo will be there for hours..... but I would use cheap line, there's no way I would raid the fishing gear I have just for this... not a chance lol.

20. 6,069
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

Instead of a fishing line you can try also with a guitar cord (the most thinner one made with a single core of steel)
    Im not sure if is going to be too much thick though... if i remember right... the distance in between CELL IHS and the substrate is around 0.45 milimeters

There are also some tools to remove the smartphone screens that are made with a line and 2 rings (the rings are to insert a finger of each hand in them)
    [​IMG]

And i tryed it with "dental floss" (i was not expecting it to work good enought but anyway, for science)... the funny thing is it was working
    The problem is this dental floss is made with fibers... everytime you move it left or right (to cut the silicone like a saw) some fibers breaks, and after 15 or 20 movements the dental floss breaks
    It can be seen how the dental floss removes some silicone material and becomes grey (because the silicone is grey)
    Anyway... i went tired of continuing with it, i just made one corner of CELL and it took me lot of work (and some hurt in the fingers)
    [​IMG]
    *Sample of a woman delidding his teeth with dental floss :D

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
    jacobsson likes this.