PS3 Tutorial - NEC/TOKIN Capacitors Replacement - YLOD FIX

Discussion in 'Tutorials & Guides' started by Naked_Snake1995, Jul 15, 2019.

1. 272
    jacobsson

jacobsson Member

Cool, I also have a EU CECHC04 (and waiting for a CECHA00 to arrive any day now).
    Sorry for going off topic:
    I need to find a source of my statement regarding using GXEMU over PS2EMU via config, @sandungas Do happen do know if this is possible?

2. 7,034
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

I dont know it for sure but i think is not posible to use GXEMU on CECHA

jacobsson likes this.
  3. 1,979
    Naked_Snake1995

Naked_Snake1995 Senior Member

Graphic Designer
    Using the GXEmu on a full GS+EE machine is impossible, the Emulator has a Hardware detection feature, which asigns the emulator for the specific PlayStation2 Hardware detected.

I don't understand your goal with the GXEMU, but i think i do have an idea on what you are trying to achieve - 1080p Upscaling.

Fun Fact: Even thought C/E Models are Firmware 1.00 Compliant, execution of any PlayStation2 Hardware will lead to a YLOD "Restart Required", due to the missing GXEmu.self, only present on Firmware 1.50

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

4. 272
    jacobsson

jacobsson Member

@Naked_Snake1995 I was just elaborating on an earlier reply where gen2 boards supposedly have better video output quality and upscaling (using GXEMU). So I thought maybe gen1 boards could be forced to use the semi BC mode (in theory it should work) for certain games using a config.

5. 9
    jojomihijo

jojomihijo Member

is 30 awg good for bridging two tantalum ?

6. 9
    jojomihijo

jojomihijo Member

nec tokin.jpg

in these picture, there is two wires for bridge tantalum,,,

in your another post , you said , it's ok to use only one cable...

use 1 or 2 ?

7. 1,550
    nCadeRegal

nCadeRegal Moderator

There are pics somewhere earlier in this thread for reference. I believe they only use one per set of tantulums for both the tax side and cell side. 30 awg was found to not be thick enough for the power delivery. Use a thicker wire. This was also explained somewhere in the thread. Maybe time to update the original post @Naked_Snake1995 ?

wrx884 likes this.
  8. 17
    Donkeybizle

Donkeybizle Forum Noob

Hello, made an account to provide some of my efforts.

recently bought 7 PS3 A01 and E01 consoles.

First one up, I’ve replaced the CPU and GPU side NEC with 16 470uf 6.3v rated caps. No avail yet, I have 20 more caps on the way. Will update this post when I get the caps in next week.

Here is a link to the progress so far:
    https://imgur.com/gallery/KjeygJv

PS: you guys gotta cool it with the knives and razor blades takin’ off these NEC. I got a 3 dollar pry tool set from Harbor freight and they pop these puppies right off!

Cheers!

*update 1*
    Redid my solder job to see if maybe I shorted something, not the case but redid them anyway. Also I bridged the cpu side 1 wire to both positives and GPu side to both positives with another wire (1 wire for each side) and my 3-5 second YLOD went to a 1 second YLOD. Hmmmmm any suggestions?

pictures:
    https://imgur.com/gallery/OvaXndD

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
  9. 220
    Edwired

Edwired Member

Just after winning a ps3 with a busted bluray drive on eBay I was the only biddier it looks like a backward compact model it looks either cechc03 or 04 as it had the shiny silver bit on it

Maroon Storm likes this.
  10. 17
    Donkeybizle

Donkeybizle Forum Noob

Update 2: (small update)
    Removed the wires, back to a solid 5-6 second YLOD. Interesting.

And pardon my soldering skills, the tip I have on my iron is really all I got on my station for now. Really hoping this works. I’ve fixed 3 so far (bad PSU, BD, BD)

The reballin’ business ain't ballin’ for much longer... that’s for sure.

and to answer, all models with chrome bezels (except the 40gb model) are backwards compatible. The 20gb model —my favorite, has a black chrome bezel. And footnote, can have WiFi, just take the WiFi board from a 60-80 gb BC model and slap it in there with an antenna. But it can’t get the card reader, as the ribbon cable port for it is not on the MB.

and edwird, just hope to got you didn’t get a 40gb model. Poor thing.

Edwired likes this.
  11. 220
    Edwired

Edwired Member

You need to add more tan caps to sort that out is my guess

Donkeybizle likes this.
  12. 220
    Edwired

Edwired Member

Yea i checked the pictures on ebay it have the card reader and the blu ray drive is the same as the 400kes as it have three ribbon cables on the back of the drive the chap told me he tried changing the drive for another one as well the board is working and all i have to do is do the bluray drive remarry method

As well in a few weeks i will try and buy a few cechc04 ylod seen a guy selling a few of them for testing and comparing results with dmm

13. 1,550
    nCadeRegal

nCadeRegal Moderator

@Donkeybizle try and get some better closer up pics of the solder job on those tantalums. It gets blurry when I zoom in. Also look at the previous pics in this thread to see exactly how it was done. If that last pic is how you have finished it almost seems as though you need to space out you tantulums better and not have that missing area where the nec once was. Might need a jumper there to sort that out.

14. 2
    motivman

motivman Forum Noob

add me to another user that completely fixed their PS3 by replacing the nec tokin caps on the top side of the motherboard. my model is a ceche01, before replacing the caps, I would always crash in GT6 (after about 10 minutes of gameplay) and TLOU ( always at the part where you encounter the first clicker and also when you first get the molotov cocktail. PS3 would shut off with RLOD. So after seeing this thread, I ordered the caps below:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/470uF-2-5V...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Then just to test and make sure the nec tokins were the problem, I completely removed them (again on the top side of the motherboard) and started the PS3. without any caps at all on the top side, GT6 will not even load a track at all, in fact, it will turn off once it loads a car before a race.. TLOU will crash the ps3 instantly once it tried loading a level. I went ahead and soldered all 16 caps, and now I have been playing GT6 for 4 hours no crashes, played TLOU for another 2.5 hours no crashes at all, PS3 is rock solid. Hope this helps someone out there, not sure if replacing caps fixes all YLOD, but if you are experiencing crashing and RLOD while playing a graphics intensive game, I can almost guarantee that replacing the caps on the top side of the motherboard will fix the issue. Goodluck guys.

Beanerman, Edwired, wrx884 and 2 others like this.
  15. 43
    Beanerman

Beanerman Forum Noob

Awesome can't wait to try this. Where can I get the replacement capacitors?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Nevermind, duh. I see

16. 17
    Donkeybizle

Donkeybizle Forum Noob

Be sure before you attempt this repair that you can determine that you yLOD is a delayed yellow or an instant yellow. In most cases if it is instant yellow after you turn on the consul it is something broken as something like a short or CPU related.

17. 205
    wrx884

wrx884 Member

What was the history of this console? was it already in YLOD state b4 u attempted the fix? if u read the whole thread we have already proved removing half the NEC tokins still boots the console, even a new member @motivman just provided the perfect example of this so if u didnt get the console to boot by only doing 1 side and all ur connections are good i would say this console wont get fixed with this fix and is another issue thats more than likely the BGA's.

18. 17
    Donkeybizle

Donkeybizle Forum Noob

@wrx884 Yeah I suspect that maybe true, it’s just for fun man. If it works, awesome. If it fails, it’s just an opportunity for me to practice. I mean yeah if you fix the consul you can flip it for some cash Sure. But there is nothing that comes close to fixing a consul people told you to throw away and buy a new one as if that was the next best thing to do LOL.
    I’m with you though I suspect that This guy may be a goner but we will have to find out.

On the bright side I’ll have around 40 caps to play with on the next project if so happens one of my PS3 why a LOD :)

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
  19. 205
    wrx884

wrx884 Member

well with out knowing and seeing the console its not a goner yet, just means it needs a more in depth fix to revive it so u could still flip it if thats what ur trying to achieve once its fixed. But dont forget too the other guys have mentioned u should be starting on the other side anyways as thats the side that cops the most heat so in theory those caps "should" have degraded more 1st.

20. 94
    squeept

squeept Member

I'm going to leave a standing offer open to the first person that can send me a couple of TOKINs that can be verified to cause problems. $100 in credit from my eBay store, or $50 cash. They will need to be intact so that I can install them on one of my systems. I probably won't be logging back in here much since it's seeming like a cult at this point, so shoot me a message on eBay if anyone can ever provide them.

Not only will you be a hero to everyone here for shutting me up for good, but I'll then redeem myself by being the hero that can provide the details of exactly what's happening. If I can't sort it out in my own workshop, I have friends that work in multi-million dollar labs that would love to help with a mystery.

I will provide video to anyone that sends any so that you can see them working fine / why I'm not paying you. You'll just need to mark them in some way that I can capture on video with my shitty camera.