PS3 Tutorial - NEC/TOKIN Capacitors Replacement - YLOD FIX

Discussion in 'Tutorials & Guides' started by Naked_Snake1995, Jul 15, 2019.

1. 75
    Revak3115

Revak3115 Forum Noob

So today I replaced one cap for each Chip. So one (4 small caps) for RSX and one (4 small caps) for the CELL and it fixed these issues for me. It no longer has any issues. thanks for the awesome tutorial and guide.

nCadeRegal, littlebalup and DeViL303 like this.
  2. 1,880
    Naked_Snake1995

Naked_Snake1995 Senior Member

Graphic Designer
    Could you post, a photo of the final work on the board, that would really help futher out the research, appreciate it.

May your console last years without reballing :)

DeViL303 likes this.
  3. 75
    Revak3115

Revak3115 Forum Noob

Sorry for the bad lighting the metal shell was halfway on. I replaced the RSX NEC and it didn’t fix the crashing when powering off only when I replaced one of the cell NECs it fixed the crashing when powering off.

Attached Files:

4. 1,880
    Naked_Snake1995

Graphic Designer
    So it YLOD/ 3 Beeped each time when you shut it down normaly?

5. 6
    Coaleb

Coaleb Forum Noob

So as someone who has only one ps3 I was wondering how hard is this actually to do? I have done some soldering on some old gameboys and such to backlight them. I want to do this as last of us crashes in the city and I'm suspecting its these capacitors.

6. 75
    Revak3115

Revak3115 Forum Noob

Before I replaced the CELL NEC yes it did. It wouldn’t give me the Yellow light but it would beep 3 times specifically after the PSU makes a “click off” sound and blink red until I pressed the power button again. so far after replacing it, it hasn’t done the beeping or crashed in anything it seems to be running perfectly.

now if I replace all the NECs you said I need a Jumper wire going to each positive points.
    Do I put a jumper wire on all the NECs or just the ones on the underside of the board?

7. 1,880
    Naked_Snake1995

Graphic Designer
    You don't need to suspect, they indeed are, TLoU and GT6 are the ones who crashes on the early 20/60Gb,due to the strain they put on the RSX workload, which these capacitors cannot longer provide, so in order to fix thoes issues, a full capacitor replacement its advised.

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
    ntodek and Algol like this.
  8. 1,880
    Naked_Snake1995

Graphic Designer
    Hmmmmm.... It does exactly like mine, mind you i only did a 1 NEC replacement, just on the RSX, the CELL its untouched, so the 3 Beep Shutdown problem still persists, but the machine stays on for countless hours without any issue, but since you mentioned that replacing the NEC on the CELL side erases the problem, i might do that.

Ive did some research a while back on this NEC YLOD Shutdown process with @sandungas, we've concluded that indeed more NECs had to be replaced, but didn't know where on the RSX or CELL side, guess that evens the odds, there must be a pair responsible for the Start Up and another for the Shutdown process.

Anyway, just bridge on both sides, but just 1 pair of Tantalums, catch my drift?

Bridge the Tantalums on the CELL and RSX on both sides of the board, i am sure there its a trace shared between the positive points on one end, but not to the other.

I cannot explain this in the exact words, but ill use one of my board schematics to explain it, ill do it tomorrow, but its pretty easy to understand.

9. 75
    Revak3115

Revak3115 Forum Noob

i own the A01/B01/E01 B/C PS3s the B01 WAS the only one with any issues and runs a-lot cooler since it has a 15-blade fan, at least it runs cooler then my A01/E01. i will eventually do this to the rest of my PS3s that use NECs but these replacement Caps cost so much.

its nice to know that these PS3s can be fixed Semi-Easily.

if you replace a CELL NEC let me know the results i would like to know since we both had the same issues.

thanks for clearing up the Bridging stuff that doesn't sound as confusing now

Anyways, Thanks Again For this Very Helpful Tutorial

10. 13
    AluCarD3939

AluCarD3939 Forum Noob

Hi everyone, i am new here.
    I have a ps3 fat that CECHG03 with powering up issue, when i try to boot the console it will goes like : Green>Yellow>Blinking red
    if i keep trying turning it on for like 5 min continuously, it will run normal. if the console was off like for 1 hour or 2.
    Then i need to start the process again, since i saw this topic via reddit, i knew the issue was with capacitors.
    What i am planing to do is going to replace NEC Capacitors with Tantalums but i want to know which one to start.
    Also Naked_Snake1995 i want to help since i got start up process issue maybe this will give you info to your research.

Also i found this https://www.aliexpress.com/item/328...chweb0_0,searchweb201602_4,searchweb201603_55
    Its 2.5v 470uf, what do you think? should i buy it ?

11. 1,880
    Naked_Snake1995

Graphic Designer
    I did this morning on the CELL side, and i must say Holy [email protected]

No more annoying beeps on the shutdown, guess even i have to learn something new each day

Thanks for sharing the info, ill make sure to add it to the tutorial as a troubleshooting for this specific Partial/YLOD problem.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
    nCadeRegal likes this.
  12. 6,426
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

Is not hard to do, usually there are many solder works where is needed a solder iron with low power and a very small tip (like 1mm or even 0,5mm).. but for this work is not needed
    Actually, you can use one of that rusy solder irons overpowered and with a huge tip for this

The easyest way to remove the factory tokins is by "destroying" them... there are 2 ways to do it
    With a knife as Naked_Snake1995 suggested... or by touching the tokins in the middle at top with the solder iron and holding it for lot of seconds

Personally i think is safer to do it with the solder iron... if just is going to be more "dirty" because there is going to create lot of toxic smoke, materials residues, etc... Is going to be needed to clean up all the area later with isopropil alcohol but i think is better because this way there is no need to struggle with it

The point is... with the knife you need o apply "forces" (that could crack some copper trace or could create scratches)... and by "burning" the tokin with the solder iron the board is not going to suffer

Edit:
    Btw, if some of you have a solder iron with a set of replaceable tips... like this ones... the best you can use for this task is the number 7 starting from the left... you know, the biggest one, intended to be used for some "brute works" and also intended to transfer a lot of heat to the motherboard
    [​IMG]

13. 1,880
    Naked_Snake1995

Graphic Designer
    I usually do it with two steps, burn the NEC Plastic Cover,which creates a lot of plastic burnt fumes,unless you deal with it, and then when the interior its exposed, with a knife carefully pry it open underneath, you can use a screw driver to smack the knife slowly with the tip, avoiding scratching the PCB, if you know what you are doing,you can have a clean working enviorment on the PCB,even with the not most appropriate tools, if you take your time and patience, so you can remove it at once with some pliers, clean the board contacts,and you are pretty much done.

I say with a knife to pry it underneat,because with the soldering iron,they are a [email protected] to remove,even at 500ºC Iron tip, it doesnt come off that easily.

14. 1,880
    Naked_Snake1995

Graphic Designer
    Judging by the description,you have a partial NEC Capacitor failure, and thats on the RSX, if it turns on after a few attempts then, yes, just focus on 1 NEC for now, it should fix your issue without any hitch,just be carefull when removing the NEC, as its a bit of a pain to get it off.

Thoes capacitors that you showed, will do just fine, 470uF at 2.5V, place 4 for each NEC/TOKIN.

15. 6,426
    sandungas

Ok, yes is a bit of using both methods... the solder iron to try to "burn" it the most posible, and eventually tweezers/knife to remove small parts of the tokin material bit by bit

With the tiny SMD LEDs happens a bit the same... is almost imposible to desolder a LED without destroying it, the lighting material is made of plastic and is delicated... so the best approach to desolder them is to touch them with the solder iron in the middle to "destroy" and burn them... then use tweezers to remove the burned plastic materials... then add a lot of solder tin on top (to improve the heat transfer) and remove the metal rests of it entirelly with the tweezers

Technically it should be posible to remove them only by heat (even with a hot air gun)... but is needed lot of heat because the tokins are soldered to big areas of copper
    That big areas are dissipating the heat

16. 1,203
    littlebalup

littlebalup Developer PSX-Place Supporter

I still have a couple of yloded unopened units. I'll try that asap.

One question, why using 4 x 470uf tantalum capa in place of the 1200uf tokin? 4 x 330uf should be enough.

17. 1,880
    Naked_Snake1995

Graphic Designer
    I recommend 470uF for the Phats from my experience, 330 didnt work for me, but you could try, i even did a combination of 2x330 and 2x470uF, it worked but it wasnt enough to hold the ground on more intensive titles.

18. 6,426
    sandungas

I told them several times :P
    Dude, it was not working because the tokins works in groups :)
    CELL have 4 tokins = 1200uf + 1200uf + 1200uf + 1200uf = 4800uf total
    RSX have 4 tokins = 1200uf + 1200uf + 1200uf + 1200uf = 4800uf total
    You replaced only one (or 2) from a group... but is needed to replace the 4 together of each group

In other words... lets say you had:
    CELL have 4 tokins = 1100uf + 900uf + 1000uf + 600uf = 3600uf total
    By replacing only one (or a couple) of them the resulting capacitance is not enought

This is why i insist to say that is a lot better to repace all the tokins in groups of 4 :)

littlebalup likes this.
  19. 1,203
    littlebalup

littlebalup Developer PSX-Place Supporter

I agree. If 330uf didn't worked is probably because other // tokins lost some capacitance. Better to replace all of them.

20. 1,880
    Naked_Snake1995

Graphic Designer
    I think i didnt express myself in the right way,my apologies, but when i mentioned a combination i meant a group of 4 for 1 NEC, thats being 2x330 and 2x470, but the order was this 330/470 on one end,and 330/470 on one end, but as i mentioned before it worked,but it wasnt holding the ground for more demanding titles.

The issue with this NEC fix is that,you dont know which NECs are good and operational,and which are bad, its a shot in the dark fix kind of thing, but thats another concern, at least with 470uF on the RSX and CELL for me holds just fine, and honestly i am sick of touching this C04 to be honest! :rolling: