Tutorial - Setting Up Your Vita/PSTV for EML Write Trick

Discussion in 'Tutorials & Guides' started by atreyu187, Oct 21, 2015.

1. 5,812
    atreyu187

atreyu187 Retired Old Hunter Moderator

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:
    - Tutorial -
    Setting Up Your Vita/PSTV for EML Write Trick

Platforms Exploit Type:Patched?Tutorial by
    PS Vita & PlayStation TV
    Email (EML) Write Trick
    In OFW 3.55+

So here is a simple but needed guide and the first of many to come from me, or so I hope. A lot of you get a "?" instead of seeing the camera that is needed to write/read to your system. Well here is the tiny "trick" to get this working properly. If you ever have any errors simply redo these steps. I HIGHLY suggest gMail for this as I have had zero luck getting this to work with other clients. You will need Thunderbird (or Outlook but it sucks and is harder to setup so just go with Thunderbird) and to use gMail via your browser as well. I will do a guide on how to setup Thunderbird and gMail soon enough but google has tons of info on this. Also if you have 2-step verification on you will most likely run into security errors on the Vita/PSTV side but again I will address that soon enough. This is just a quick dirty guide in 30min before I have to go to work to hopefully ignite a fire in me to proceed with these guides as I have planned and hopefully get @pinky off my arse
    :troutslap:

Steps
    Instructions - Setting Up Your Vita/PSTV for EML Write Trick
    • First open the email app on your Vita/PSTV if you have already setup an account. Go to the bubble in the lower right hand corner and open the "Settings" menu. Then choose "Format Email Application Database" and close the app after this is done by pressing PS button then holding :o: to close.
    • Download this file the writer.eml (this assumes you have Thunderbird setup and the ability to register your gMail with Sony's Fail Mail app already)

• [*=left]Double click the filer writer.eml and Thunderbird should open it for you. Note do not open Thunderbird and send as an attachment or this will fail and you will have to start over. Then simply type in your email address and send it to yourself. Do not change the subject just add your address and send it. (I made a "Vita" folder in gMail and keep all my eml files in that folder for easy access if this or any eml needs to be re-written or to keep up with files dumped to simplify the process for a later time. I suggest you do the same.)

• [*=left]Now go to your system and open the Email app from the Live Area. Input all your info need to gain access to your account.
      [*=left]Once this is done you should see:

• [*=left]email from [email protected]
        [*=left]subject should read: click on the image then press the home button and close the email

Open this and then you will see this symbol
    mail_questionmark.jpg

If not and you see this you must delete Email settings as listed above and start over.

mail_questionmark2.png

• Simply click the "camera" box and it will say "Can Not Display This Image" if you see this your are good to go but VERY IMPORTANT, DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT click "OK" instead simply press the PS button and hold :o: to close the page. If you hit ok guess what? You have to delete your email settings again and start over from scratch. This is true for any of the EML tricks. If you ever hit OK you will need to start over like you have never done any of this so ust make sure your not in a hurry, take your time and most of all don't freak as that "error" is what makes these hacks possible. So it isn't an error message to use but an accomplishment.
    • Now this will reset your email info again but will allow one to use EML files to read & dump files from your Vita's file system. Internal memory, memory card and even the firmware files. Simply open the Fail Mail app again and input your gMail info once more. This has your system set up and that stupid "?" will no longer appear and you will see the camera so you can write to your system.
    Now once all this is done you can

Hope someone finds this useful and more guides are sure to follow. I will try to be as thorough as possible as most are noobs and most guides are crap. A lot of info over laps so if needed in new guides I will link to needed info but I am going to try to start with basics then progress so everyone can get a feel for what's going on. If anyone sees any room for improvement or wants to share their experiences please do as I am learning just like you all. It will help make this easier for everyone. I will not and do not get offended by constructive post and criticisms. This is how we learn and advance the scene in a good manner. now off to work and I hope to write another one upon my arrival home which will be covering app.db retrievas it is needed for most mods and hacks. Enjoy and happy Vita hacking.

Note: This exploit has been patched in Vita/PlayStation TV 3.55 Firmware.

So here is a simple but needed guide and the first of many to come from me, or so I hope. A lot of you get a "?" instead of seeing the camera that is needed to write/read to your system. Well here is the tiny "trick" to get this working properly. If you ever have any errors simply redo these steps. I HIGHLY suggest gMail for this as I have had zero luck getting this to work with other clients. You will need Thunderbird (or Outlook but it sucks and is harder to setup so just go with Thunderbird) and to use gMail via your browser as well. I will do a guide on how to setup Thunderbird and gMail soon enough but google has tons of info on this. Also if you have 2-step verification on you will most likely run into security errors on the Vita/PSTV side but again I will address that soon enough. This is just a quick dirty guide in 30min before I have to go to work to hopefully ignite a fire in me to proceed with these guides as I have planned and hopefully get @pinky off my arse :troutslap:

1- First open the email app on your Vita/PSTV if you have already setup an account. Go to the bubble in the lower right hand corner and open the "Settings" menu. Then choose "Format Email Application Database" and close the app after this is done by pressing PS button then holding :o: to close.

2- Download this file the writer.eml (this assumes you have Thunderbird setup and the ability to register your gMail with Sony's Fail Mail app already)

3- Double click the filer writer.eml and Thunderbird should open it for you. Note do not open Thunderbird and send as an attachment or this will fail and you will have to start over. Then simply type in your email address and send it to yourself. Do not change the subject just add your address and send it. (I made a "Vita" folder in gMail and keep all my eml files in that folder for easy access if this or any eml needs to be re-written or to keep up with files dumped to simplify the process for a later time. I suggest you do the same.)

4- Now go to your system and open the Email app from the Live Area. Input all your info need to gain access to your account. Once this is done you should see an email from
    [email protected]

And the subject should read

click on the image then press the home button and close the email

Open this and then you will see this symbol
    mail_questionmark.jpg

If not and you see this you must delete Email settings as listed above and start over.
    mail_questionmark2.png

5- Simply click the "camera" box and it will say "Can Not Display This Image" if you see this your are good to go but VERY IMPORTANT, DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT click "OK" instead simply press the PS button and hold :o: to close the page. If you hit ok guess what? You have to delete your email settings again and start over from scratch. This is true for any of the EML tricks. If you ever hit OK you will need to start over like you have never done any of this so ust make sure your not in a hurry, take your time and most of all don't freak as that "error" is what makes these hacks possible. So it isn't an error message to use but an accomplishment.

6- Now this will reset your email info again but will allow one to use EML files to read & dump files from your Vita's file system. Internal memory, memory card and even the firmware files. Simply open the Fail Mail app again and input your gMail info once more. This has your system set up and that stupid "?" will no longer appear and you will see the camera so you can write to your system.

Now once all this is done you can install themes, custom whitelist, backup your files/firmware, enable semi-debug via registry and more. Hope someone finds this useful and more guides are sure to follow. I will try to be as through as possible as most are noobs and most guides are crap. A lot of info over laps so if needed in new guides I will link to needed info but I am going to try to start with basics then progress so everyone can get a feel for what's going on. If anyone sees any room for improvement or wants to share their experiences please do as I am learning just like you all. It will help make this easier for everyone. I will not and do not get offended by constructive post and criticisms. This is how we learn and advance the scene in a good manner. now off to work and I hope to write another one upon my arrival home which will be covering app.db retrieval as it is needed for most mods and hacks. Enjoy and happy Vita hacking.

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2016
  2. 12,151
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

I had to be on ur *** about those vita tutorials. ;) u know a lot more about this stuff than I do, so I never really felt qualified to take up the reigns with the vita like I did with the ps3. :) if u know the myth of Helios and his chariot, I think u might understand the analogy I'm making.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
  3. 8,983
    STLcardsWS

STLcardsWS Administrator

[MENTION=7]atreyu187[/MENTION] Reformatted first post a bit. Thanks for the guides nice work..

4. 80
    law56ker

law56ker Member

Gmail no longer works for this hack correct?

5. 12,151
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

that's correct. it's due to the level of encryption that gmail now uses. it's unsupported on firmware that old. gmx is what u want to use.