PS3 [Tutorial] (Still Works 29/3/19) Installing Red Ribbon Linux on Rebug 4.81.2 - 4.84.1 D / REX

Discussion in 'Tutorials & Guides' started by dazzaXx, Feb 17, 2018.

1. 356
    dazzaXx

dazzaXx Member

XMB UI Editor/Coder, VENOM ELITE GAMING
    I can only assume that the .ISO of Linux wasn't extracted properly, try re-extracting the .iso with 7-zip or winrar.

2. 17
    ManoLLo

ManoLLo Forum Noob

I'm will and again thanks for your patience and help!!

dazzaXx likes this.
  3. 17
    ManoLLo

ManoLLo Forum Noob

Still gave me the same error, I had downloaded all the files twice before so I tried from both but still gave me the same error (this also happens when I scroll between the options given in petitboot) would be fine when I enter petitboot

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  4. 17
    ManoLLo

ManoLLo Forum Noob

Hello hello!! Just thought about my first error the QA flag and was wondering if I may have some wrong settings maybe if you could let me know what should be on or off... what do you think is it relevant?

5. 356
    dazzaXx

dazzaXx Member

All you need is QA flags to be enabled, nothing else pertains to the tutorial except when you resize your flash to then install petitboot.

6. 17
    ManoLLo

ManoLLo Forum Noob

Oh alright I'll just try again when I get home with the ones I downloaded and extracted from the computer at my job. I'll post the update afterwards.
    Y'all have a great day or night

dazzaXx likes this.
  7. 10
    PSdcdcdc

PSdcdcdc Forum Noob

Does this guide apply to REBUG 4.84.1 REX?

8. 356
    dazzaXx

dazzaXx Member

It works on any Rebug firmware, as i've stated before, once you've followed the tutorial and successfully installed Linux using my patched 4.82 Rebug firmware, you can just upgrade using normal Rebug firmware and it will automatically detect the installation and continue as normal.

The only reason you have to install my patched firmware to begin with is so that it tells the ps3 to allocate a few gigabytes of hard drive space for OtherOS++.

9. 10
    PSdcdcdc

PSdcdcdc Forum Noob

REBUG_4.81.2_D-REX_EMER_INIT_PS3UPDAT.PUP and REBUG_4.81.2_REX_EMER_INIT_PS3UPDAT,What's the difference?

10. 4,468
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

REX is for retail PS3 models, also known as CEX
    D-REX is for debug PS3 models, also known as DEX

The hardware of this PS3 models is the same, and you can convert a PS3 CEX to DEX by changing the Target ID
    There is an option in rebug toolbox to change the target ID, is easy but before using it search and learn about how to use it, is considered a risky modification because it writes inside flash chip and could cause a software brick if made wrong

11. 10
    PSdcdcdc

PSdcdcdc Forum Noob

convert a PS3 CEX to DEX by changing the Target ID?Please give a relevant operation guide, THX.

12. 356
    dazzaXx

dazzaXx Member

It's all in the Rebug Toolbox, dump your eid_root_key and swap kernels, it should automatically edit the TargetID along with it.

13. 4
    MagikSun

MagikSun Forum Noob

I was getting the same error by trying to install the CEX version provided in the opening of this post. Instead I switched my console from CEX to DEX and then used the DEX Rebug version provided here and it worked.

14. 4
    MagikSun

MagikSun Forum Noob

Linux is really slow and laggy is there a simple way to optimise it. (I think it could just be the 256MB RAM). I originally wanted to install Kodi on it but I dont think it has enough RAM. It was fun just to put it on there though. Ty for the guide.

(Also I too had a problem where I have the fatboy ps3. I had to use sda1 when create hdd region command. sdd1 didnt work. When I did that it wouldnt load the linux install until i rebooted system, then everything went ok.)

But to uninstall linux and repartiion HDD do I just install latest 4.84 firmware and then do a system restore? Also Do you think I could try MAC OS install or another install from petitboot considering the hdd is already partitioned??

15. 356
    dazzaXx

dazzaXx Member

To get rid of linux, you'd most likely have to reformat the entire drive. All installing 4.84 Rebug would do is update the firmware, Linux would still remain on the drive as well as petitboot since Slim PS3's have VFLASH thats stored also on the Hard Drive.

It'd have to be an operating system that is for the PPC architecture, never really tried anything besides Linux but in the past, even other Linux distros that were made for the ps3 have problems detecting the OtherOS partition due to the fact that its made using other means and not the official way the distro expects so i'd assume maybe the installer would launch, but have difficulty finding the partition to install onto.

16. 4
    MagikSun

MagikSun Forum Noob

Hmm but I thought step 5 in your tute was the step that partitioned the hdd? If that was the case I thought installin rebug 4.84 and doing system restore would restore the whole hdd, cos I assumed your rebug was patched to partition hdd at this stage?

• When in safe mode, you are gonna want to choose the "Restore PS3 System" option. It should do it's thing and reboot to a huge SONY logo like the PS3 is brand new, go through the screens until your back at the XMB. This is the step where it formats the HDD so make sure you've backed up your data!
    Sorry for noobiesness but at what step was the hdd partitioned? was it after petitboot

17. 4
    MagikSun

MagikSun Forum Noob

Also Dazza youve been rly helpful over the course of this thread which has run so long.. its ok if you don't answer the questions. If I had to respond to every person on a thread running over a year and a half I wouldve pulled my hair out and done a sky dive thinking maybe i dont pull the shooot!!

Much thnks!!

18. 356
    dazzaXx

dazzaXx Member

That is correct yes, that is the step where it tells the ps3 to partition the drive. But, once its been done, the partition stays on the drive unless fully formatted by the system itself or by using a pc. For instance once you install Linux and want to upgrade to 4.84 Rebug, once upgraded to 4.84, Linux would still remain.

All the patched firmware does is subtract 20GB of your drive to use for OtherOS, once done it doesnt need to be done again unless you do indeed fully format the drive, either through the ps3 itself or using a pc.

Also it's fine haha, i'll help anyone as best i can :-p