PS3 [Tutorial] (Still works as of 19/2/20) Installing Red Ribbon Linux on Rebug 4.81.2 - 4.84.2 D / REX

Discussion in 'Tutorials & Guides' started by dazzaXx, Feb 17, 2018.

1. 1
    SewBakM8

SewBakM8 Forum Noob

When I type Ls into the terminal I don't see that file...and then when I type it it says that it doesn't exist

2. 447
    dazzaXx

dazzaXx Member

XMB UI Editor/Coder, VENOM ELITE GAMING
    if you are referring to the .sh script, make sure you copy it to the root of your USB Stick after you've extracted the .iso

3. 2
    wiired24

wiired24 Forum Noob

@dazzaXx Hey man if you have a second I was wanting to know if you already have Petiboot installed and I follow your tutorial and restore my system (Formatting my HDD and everything). Would I need to resize the vflash again and re-install Petitboot or not? I'm asking as I've already installed Petitboot once and I'm running Red Ribbon from my USB Flash Drive but I'm considering installing it to my Internal HDD because the speeds would be somewhat faster.

Thanks, I appreciate your advice

4. 447
    dazzaXx

dazzaXx Member

Sorry for not getting back to you striaght away, but yes, i do believe you do have to re-install petitboot if you do a full restore as if you're using a slim, most of the flash is stored on the drive, if you are also re-installing the firmware then definately yes.

5. 2
    wiired24

wiired24 Forum Noob

Hey there. It's alright. I appreciate you taking the time to get back with me in the first place so thank you. Secondly I'm running a CECHA-01 60 NAND which from what I understand doesn't store the flash on the drive. So I'm not sure if that would make a difference in regards to how I should approach this. Also I noticed in your tutorial you mention that CEX users need to download both of the patched firmwares. I'm not too clear on how to follow that. I was under the assumption that the process was Restore System -> Install Patched CFW -> Install Petitboot ->
    .I'm on Rebug 4.84 REX CFW Currently. Thanks for the help

6. 447
    dazzaXx

dazzaXx Member

It's because the second one for CEX is just the patched firmware as i forgot to include it in the first package, hence why its its own. Download both, but instead of using the D-REX (DEX) firmware thats in the first package, you use the REX (CEX) one instead.

As long as firmware is installed at some point, it will wipe the previous installation of petitboot. So it should be fine.

7. 141
    larry12222

larry12222 Member

work for 4.84.2 d-rex?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2020
  8. 447
    dazzaXx

dazzaXx Member

Yes, follow the steps, read it thoroughly. once it's all done and installed, you can update to 4.84.2 D-REX

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

9. 1
    marc00077

marc00077 Forum Noob

Hello, some time ago I tried to install linux with another tutorial and I got (and still can) run red ribbon as live. I'm now trying to install linux on hdd to have it permanently.
    On the other tutorial I think I never did the Restore PS3 system, so I have no space allocated for OtherOS and this makes the create_hdd_region script to fail because it doesn't find any free sectors.

Now I'm following this tutorial to redo everything from scratch but I'm stuck on step 4. The problem is that when I try to enter safe mode, petitboot shows up instead of the recovery menu. Since I can't enter the recovery menu I can't do the system restore which allocates space for OtherOS.

I've tried using the delete_vflash5.pkg from here to remove petitboot but I get "An error ocurred while during the start operation" when running the package and petitboot doesn't get removed. I also read that doing a normal system restore won't delete petitboot so I'm completely stuck. Any ideas?

10. 447
    dazzaXx

dazzaXx Member

Many people have faced this problem many times, including me, try booting into petitboot normally, then select the "Exit to GameOS" option, turn it off and then see if it boots to recovery.

EDIT: Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but i think it has something to do with petitboot changing the boot order, so it ends up taking priority over most things.

marc00077 likes this.
  11. 4
    jarrettmurray7

jarrettmurray7 Forum Noob

When I select boot other OS and then select Boot (LV1 patches:Use Current) I just get a black screen and I did go through all the steps correctly.

12. 2,597
    Berion

Berion Developer

@dazzaXx What is the difference between standard Rebug and Yours? In the past, I installed some 3.55 with OOS+. The results was different partitions sizes but never bother about differences. So, could You elaborate more about it? Why firmware package must be modified and what exactly is modified?

13. 447
    dazzaXx

dazzaXx Member

All the difference is that this firmware has a file patched that's responsible for reserving hard drive space for OtherOS, hence why you need to restore the system after installing it, so it can reserve the space it needs. Other than that it's plain Rebug.

14. 2,597
    Berion

Berion Developer

Sounds ok to me, but what exactly was patched (what files, what addresses and values)? :)

15. 447
    dazzaXx

dazzaXx Member

The only file that is patched is "emer_init.self", everything else is stock Rebug.

Berion likes this.
  16. 447
    dazzaXx

dazzaXx Member

There's no reason for it to not boot, make sure you resized the flash and installed the correct version of petitboot for your model of system, NAND or NOR.

17. 3
    VKlafke

VKlafke Forum Noob

Hi!

I'm on CFW 4.85 SPY Cobra 8.01, is it okay if I follow this procedure? Will it work?

18. 447
    dazzaXx

dazzaXx Member

I've never used SPY CFW before, but you would have to downgrade and use the firmware this tutorial requires to properly install Linux and petitboot.

For those that mainly use Rebug as their main CFW, once done installing Linux, they can simply update to a newer unmodified version of Rebug and still keep their Linux setup intact. The problem is if you do decide to do this and want to go back to the version and CFW you use now, I don't know if you can use the Rebug Toolbox to boot back into it as most functions are disabled when the toolbox is installed on non Rebug firmware. But there is a "Boot OtherOS" pkg here on the site that allows booting of OtherOS via the XMB that could work.

19. 2,597
    Berion

Berion Developer

I'm wondering if it is possible to put petitboot by hand using Linux on VFLASH because everything (besides "dev_hdd2") is ready.

I also do not understand why peoples using OtherOS, when booting to Linux from GameOS would give him more hardware access and better performance. The only thing which is missing is kernel loader.

20. 3
    VKlafke

VKlafke Forum Noob

Hey! Just want to say thanks for the tutorial, and the help. I managed to downgrade it and install red ribbon.

I do have another question, have you or anyone managed to install java on RR? I've been trying but can't seem to find the way, do you have any pointers?

Cheers!