Two weird problems with my PS3!

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by Coldlm, Apr 19, 2017.

1. 228
    Coldlm

Coldlm Member

I had the same problem on PS2 slim before it was leaving a circular mark on DVDs/CDs,
    The problem is ALWAYS: the ribbon that connects the laser to the main board, its out of place, and your gonna have to be very careful putting it back to its place with some superglue, again very careful if any superglue goes on the laser head, its gone!

again its the ribbon, when the laser is moving up and down to read that ribbon is moving as well and at some point, it will cause that problem!

For the switch, if you lick any game cover, it will leave one the worst, strangest taste in your mouth, and it will last for a while as well lol
    And for now, it's only worth getting the console for Zelda, if you're not a fan don't bother nothing is good on it so far!

2. 12,626
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

not sure. it's a new laser. I don't notice any scratches really. the system sometimes skips but not very often.

I don't own a switch. I wish I did. I own 2 wii u's for when 5.3.2 was the golden firmware. I've updated that system. I need to sell it without the gamepad. I also own 3 360s. two r jtag and one is flashed.

3. 228
    Coldlm

Coldlm Member

The circular scratches issue is caused by the ribbon,
    can you post a picture!

3 360s that's too many!

4. 12,626
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

some have scratches, others do not. I think it's the discs. one I could see right through the disc, though it could've been a drunk moment. lol I'm usually the person asked to test things on the ps2 since I have a working laser. that's still okay.

yeah, it is. need one? I was going to sell one to atreyu's, a mod on here, contact, but it was the wrong motherboard.

5. 228
    Coldlm

Coldlm Member

If it is on one disk only, that its the disk,
    if you need help with testing i can help, mine is still good,

for the 360, hell no, i had my share of the blinking red lights,
    i literally took the fans from my box and throw the rest away :)

@atreyu187 if it wasnt for him i would be on 3.55 cfw lol, he showed how to, thanks again :)

atreyu187 likes this.
  6. 12,626
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

the red lights mean something different. for example, 2 lights mean the system is overheating. I think four means no video cable. 3 is very bad though, hardware failure. I mostly play megaman on the ps2 and the 360, so it's probably fine. I've played mega man 9 and 10 on the ps3 though. atreyu is great. I wanted to do a white coldboot for him of his tattoo, but I never told him that. @bitsbubba created a colored coldboot for him instead.

7. 228
    Coldlm

Coldlm Member

I had all lights combo, overall it wasn't pleasant on X360 for me, and i don't want it lol
    Oh that @bitsbubba huh :)
    first time on psx-scene, i might have joked around a bit and he didn't get it, but we good now ;)

time to crash for me, good night.

8. 12,626
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

it's not so bad considering I can manipulate the fan speed. my other jtag is on a much lower uses the original smc so it has rol glitches. plus, irc, it has a blue center rol. I changed the rf board on it. the one I'm using has white quadrants and a purple center with an xcm shell that changes color 7 times over the course of 30 seconds. I love it which is y I've titled the system 30 degrees to see it (it's upright). my system stays cool at about 135 degrees at all times.

I call @bitsbubba , bitsiboo. I love the guy a lot. we joke around a lot on here, but sometimes I joke around too much which some devs don't like. I think it's especially important now that things have slowed with the ps scenes especially the ps3 scene which is how I became a dev. I feel honored to be a dev due to my work and my tutorials. u should check 'em out. if u need help with any of them, u can always ask me. :)

Coldlm likes this.
  9. 5,910
    atreyu187

atreyu187 Old Hunter Moderator

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:

Thanks both of you for the kind words and o recall when you left 3.55, another user led to the light lol

And for the record any 360 is to much!!!

Coldlm and pinky like this.
  10. 12,626
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

any time, my friend. I will admit that it makes me nervous playing the xbox 360 due to the hardware malfunctions that can occur. I replaced the thermal paste in my system a while ago, and it runs pretty cool (133 degrees F on average). I may buy a slim some day, but that's only if the one I use fails. I still need to sell my other 2 360s. the xenon - I actually threw it away. it had been in my headboard for several years. I was going to try fixing it again, but I don't think it would've been worth it.

atreyu187 likes this.
  11. 5,910
    atreyu187

atreyu187 Old Hunter Moderator

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:

Still need to buy your 3DS but since I got laid off my main job money is TIGHT

pinky likes this.
  12. 12,626
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

I'm sorry to hear about ur job. u've certainly had a run of rotten luck these past few weeks. once ur fully committed, I'll update a9lh. it's still on version 1. I reinstalled a9lh v4 (the latest) recently on my new 3ds since I couldn't remember if I had version 3 or version 4 installed. right now, the 3ds u want is only on version 1 in hopes of gateway updating, so it's remained on that. v3 and v4 r sd card less which is y I couldn't remember. don't know a way of checking the version. v4 and v2 allow for larger payloads to be used which is the difference. anyway, I hope things get better for u. I've had a year's+ worth of pretty bad luck, but u already know about that. :)

atreyu187 likes this.
  13. 228
    Coldlm

Coldlm Member

You obviously love your Xboxes lol,
    back to serious a little bit, i had my 360 before PS3 was out, so there wasn't a way to control the fans manually or any of that, and it worked the first year just fine, mind you i used to leave it on all the time, after that year the overheating issue began, tried a lot of things but it wasn't fixable, so i ended up giving the HDD to my friend, and i took the fans from it, and i threw the rest! so yeah it wasn't really a good experience!

But i always want it to play Forza horizon games, so its likely that i end up buying an xbox, probably an xbone at some point!

For the scenes slowing down, i'll give it a couple more months, and the new gen will be running mM , Sman, webman... and the scenes will be alive again because i somehow doubt it will die anytime soon,
    and the work that you guys (devs) are doing is very appreciated, and im still amazed That new improvements and fixes are still being made, even on PS2!
    Anyone who ever contributed any kind of work have my respect and gratitude, so THANK you and everyone else:)

also as far as joking with bits, as long as it's not being offensive to others i can't see the harm.

cheers

pinky likes this.
  14. 12,626
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

yeah, the early 360s and ps3s were poorly designed, so I'm pretty apprehensive to play my 360 since it's an old phat. it's been running strong for about 9 years and the temps r always good. I did make sure to have the temp thresholds at 60 degrees C. u can do that in freestyle dash/aurora, the hacked dashboards, dashlaunch (kinda like cobra in that it patches several things on the fly such as being able to check temps in game or playing xblig without a connection to xbox live), or u can build them directly into the dash. I prefer dashlaunch's method since I can always change the temp thresholds at any time.

I haven't messed with forza games much. I like games like lost odyssey and shmup games that only came out in Japan. regions r up to the publisher, so some games can be region free or region-specific. I think a lot of the shmup games r JPN only, so u need a jtag/rgh. u can change the region but it breaks the encryption of the disc. u can't reencrypt it once u decrypt and have it run. u may have noticed that all 360 games r one of 3 or 4 specific sizes. they're encrypted and padded, but decrypting removes all that. that's where u have the jtag rips which r great for game hacks. the other kind, god, or games on demand, r the games u download from xbla. I think god games r how the encryption was broken to begin with. they're just like games u rip using a legit system except there r no signatures calling for the game to be inserted in the system. it takes seconds to break those signatures from multiple games (any game stored on the hard drive) with an app called NXE2GOD.

yeah, there's still stuff coming out even for the ps2. I usually test the ps2 stuff for some of the members here since I have a working laser and a modchip. I had to replace the laser in January of this year, so it's still fresh. :D I've certainly slowed down as part of the ps3 scene though. I'm just not that interested in the system, so it's used to dump klicenses for some people. I'm mostly a Nintendo fanboy really. I'm playing the wii u at this very moment. and, I'm dumping my 3ds' NAND...gotta make sure to do that regularly.

I'm sure I speak for all devs when I say ur very welcome. it took me a long to research the ps3, but I'm no expert on it. I know a lot about many systems, but I'm still learning to this day. that's what makes it fun. that, and the altruism of helping others who may be researching too or just want to play their games with as much freedom as possible.

as for bits, I call him that because I like him a lot. we've become friends through the ps3 scene and psx-place. that happens a lot in the scene, because we're all friends. I can say that some people like me, others tolerate me, but in the end we're trying to build a terrific community for the scene.

Coldlm likes this.
  15. 228
    Coldlm

Coldlm Member

"Poorly designed" doesn't give it justice :)

im not a hardcore gamer so the games you mentioned are aliens to me, im more of a sim racer, so yeah even Forza horizon games are arcady i still like open wotld racing games apart from the crew thats one horrible game :p

For the 360 i know the system is more flexible and easier to manipulate now but is it like that for alot of games or just some locked regions?
    also i always wondered is accessing Xlive on CFW as risky as on PSN on a CFW, is there apps like SEN, PSN patch? also what do you think does the 360 community have some interesting stuff like mM, Webman/mod, is the scene as active?

as for slowing down, i think thats natural because everything have been done to the console, just few updates here and there, but i doubt the scene will ever die, every gen have to be unlocked somehow ;)

16. 228
    Coldlm

Coldlm Member

MY PS3 update:

opened it up this morning, everything seems fine, but my console came with the bluray drive that has a ribbon underneath it (3 little ribbons, behind the drive and a big ribbon right under it), so it took me 30 mins to connect it back to the motherboard, and it worked fine the first time i started the system, started GTA 5 just to see if everything is good, exit GTA and black screen, reboot the bluray drive is not working, no blue light, can't eject the disk, also no disk icon on the XMB, i can start games from app home but existing apps or games goes to a black screen NO XMB,
    will open again tomorrow and see if the bluray not connected correctly!

17. 7,851
    bguerville

bguerville Moderator

All BD drives use such a ribbon cable. The pata cable on older phat models is obviously larger than later sata versions but the setup is the same.
    There is a slightly different setup with later slim models in which the logic board is integrated in the motherboard instead of being a separate card screwed under the BD drive.

About your current issue, my guess is that your main ribbon cable is loose because otherwise the logic board would be connected & using Cobra you would get a disc icon when mounting games despite the BD drive not working.
    I suggest you open the case up again & set the main cable back properly.
    Be careful when handling the ribbon cable sockets.
    Make sure you open them gently, push the ribbon right to the bottom of the socket, close the socket.
    Remember that if ever you break the mobo pata/sata socket, you will be in deep shit...

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
    Coldlm likes this.
  18. 228
    Coldlm

Coldlm Member

Yes indeed it was loose, there is a little black piece (socket), had to push it down to keep the ribbon on its place, the drive issue is good now, (horrible design)

Will turn rything off (cobra mode, webman mod...etc)and let it work!

19. 7,851
    bguerville

bguerville Moderator

That's correct. That little piece of plastic is the locking mechanism & as you can see it's quite fragile so handle it with care.
    And yes the whole BD case design is poor...

Coldlm likes this.
  20. 228
    Coldlm

Coldlm Member

Btw its a slim console, looked all over youtube to see any tips on to put that ribbon back, all videos i saw, dont have that large ribbon, they just have two ribbons on the back (under the psu)