Two weird problems with my PS3!

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by Coldlm, Apr 19, 2017.

1. 7,843
    bguerville

bguerville Moderator

My first guess was correct then...

It's a problem that happened several times in the past couple of years. Filezilla updates sometimes break compatibility until the ftp server dev makes proper adjustments...

Coldlm likes this.
  2. 228
    Coldlm

Coldlm Member

Any other client you recommend for wireless transfer! tried WinSCP but kept disconnecting for no reason!

3. 618
    self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

Tried windows explorer? Just manually type in ftp://192.168.1.100/ or whatever your ps3s ip address is into the address bar and it will show up like a normal folder.

Nothing fancy, but good enough for most tasks.

Edit: Or just add it as a network location if you use it frequently. :)

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
    Coldlm and No0bZiLLa like this.
  4. 799
    No0bZiLLa

No0bZiLLa Moderator Developer

i use windows explorer as well. i faced this problem with filezilla and when i was searching for a fix (other than finding an older version of filezilla) i found out that windows explorer has it built in, so no need for filezilla ect.

Coldlm likes this.
  5. 228
    Coldlm

Coldlm Member

My main explorer is XYplorer which doesn't work it just shows an error,
    and trying on the native explorer it shows

"Windows cannot access this folder...."

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
  6. 7,843
    bguerville

bguerville Moderator

No idea what kind of configuration you are using for Windows or for your network but the problem probably comes from your setup...

I have never had an issue with Windows Explorer or X-plore on Android in the past couple of years, whether with wMM, sMan, multiman, Rebug Toolbox....
    I just tested Windows Explorer on the latest wMM 1.47.05, the latest sMan 1.11 & Rebug Toolbox & I successfully connected each time, transferred a couple of files... No issues...

If you are using wMM with admin mode to protect your ps3, remember to to trigger it to get ftp access.
    Check whether you have the same issue with other ftp servers on ps3 as well & if you do, review your network settings.
    Check the NAT type detected when testing your connection on ps3 (network settings).

7. 228
    Coldlm

Coldlm Member

Just found the cause, it's the firewall,
    if i turn it on, for the public network, it blocks the ftp function on windows explorer

8. 7,843
    bguerville

bguerville Moderator

I dunno what firewall you are using but to avoid this kind of issue, you should either spend time configuring the Firewall properly or simply use a Firewall with an interactive mode, where when an incoming request is received, you are asked to confirm whether or not you authorise the connection. Some firewall also provide the same kind of behaviour for outgoing requests made by apps...

In any case, don't turn off the Firewall to access the ftp server, that would be a bad practice. You must create an exception or a rule (whatever it's called in your firewall) for Windows Explorer operating port 21. Also your ps3 connected via lan is not a public network location, connections should be treated as private network communication.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
  9. 11,137
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

what do u guys mean by windows explorer ftp? r u talking about typing in the network location (i.e. \\192.168.1.105\Hdd1)? 'cause I thought that didn't work with the ps3. I have an internal hdd, and two usb hdds mapped with my xbox 360, and my new 3ds is also mapped. I could never get this to work with the ps3 though unless I'm doing something wrong. the issue is unlikely connected to the firewall (normal windows 7) I'm using since it works for the other two systems. :-/ I think I tried disabling it before to see if I could make a connection, and I couldn't.

10. 7,843
    bguerville

bguerville Moderator

No we are not talking about network location but ftp. Windows Explorer is a ftp client, always has been, the Windows version doesn't matter...
    Type a ftp address in the address bar of Windows Explorer it will connect...
    Once in ftp mode, you will also find a Login entry in the File menu.

11. 11,137
    pinky

oh, I see. I was thinking samba wasn't supported anyway.

12. 7,843
    bguerville

bguerville Moderator

Samba is not supported.
    However you can also create a network connection with a ftp address in Windows, not just samba locations.
    It means that once created, you can reuse the saved network connection without having to type the details again in the address bar.

13. 11,137
    pinky

yeah, that's what had me confused. I didn't realize u were talking about the address bar instead of the search bar or a mapped network drive. I think u and I have discussed samba before on the ps3. from what I remember, @deank said he would never support it. maybe it's too much of a hassle? I'm able to access ftp locations from xampp, I believe, in the address bar as long as the hosted files r in the correct location. that's where I have my wii u and ps4 hosted files. :-p

14. 7,843
    bguerville

bguerville Moderator

I suppose in theory it would be possible to write or port a samba server on the PS3 but questions remain as to its usefulness as we already have ftp for file transfer...

15. 11,137
    pinky

my thinking is that no one wants to invest the time towards adding a feature few people would probably use. I think many (perhaps most) people prefer to use an ftp client like filezilla instead. however, I did encounter some errors copying files via filezilla from my xbox 360's internal hdd when I was backing it up entirely. some files wouldn't transfer for some reason. however, using samba, I encountered no errors. I had hoped that I could've made a disk image of the drive using the transfer cable instead of ftp, but apparently, most apps for fatx have disconnection issues if the drive is over 500GBs. my internal hdd is 1TB.

16. 228
    Coldlm

Coldlm Member

@bguerville
    im just using the native firewall in win 8 pro 64bit, also im using "Advanced SystemCare Ultimate 10" which does have a firewall enforcement but disabling it didn't help, also i sometimes i use "Windows Firewall Control" but im sure its not the cause because i only use it to block multiple exes at once, even the service of it is stopped!

i still didn't mess around with anything yet, but yeah the only thing in mind is to make a rule for outgoing and incoming connection for win explorer

@pinky
    It even works on Win XP SP3 pro, that's how i found that it was the firewall messing with me, because as we all know the firewall in XPs don't block any outgoing connection :)

@No0bZiLLa
    Also, guys i think turning off the firewall completely, FileZilla doesn't cause the PS3 not to boot anything, im not a sure but while i was messing around to get the ftp to work on win explorer, i left FileZilla on and started GTA 5, and it worked.
    but it could mean that it just worked randomly, i will try to recreate it later and see!

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
  17. 7,843
    bguerville

bguerville Moderator

You are using several firewalls?
    What for? Using several firewall applications won't help & is likely to lead to issues, same as using more than one AV software or on PS3 using psnpatch & SEN at the same time...
    That's the reason why the Windows Firewall turns itself off if it detects another installed firewall in place.
    Choose a good firewall that allows good user control (at least an interactive mode) & stick to it.

A decent firewall allows you to configure what applications and/or ports can be used through the network, incoming & outgoing.
    It's really standard & that's all there is to it. If that does not work, the Firewall isn't working right...
    A Firewall should never get stopped & started depending on your activities. That's bad practice.

18. 228
    Coldlm

Coldlm Member

No i only the native firewall, and when i need to block a software that have multiple exes and dll files that connects to the internet without any permission, i use "Windows Firewall Control", as soon as i use i just close it and leave the "Windows Firewall Control service" off

19. 7,843
    bguerville

bguerville Moderator

Like I said, if you need to fiddle, start & stop a service in a specific case or whatever, it is bad practice.
    IMO an interactive firewall setup is more practical for most users, when a new app requests connection thru a tcp or udp port, the users gets asked whether to allow it or not & whether to save the chosen setting for future use.
    A good firewall should be "invisible" once configured & should handle all situations. Multiple executables and/or dll should make no difference as each executable will be treated according to its own individual settings & rules/exceptions or to more global settings if they are found.
    Ultimately, if you want to have precise control over incoming/outgoing connections, you could use something like ZoneAlarm. It takes a while to setup & can be intrusive until settings are complete but nothing should ever get past you when using ZA...

The choice is up to you...

Coldlm likes this.
  20. 228
    Coldlm

Coldlm Member

I do have ZoneAlarm indeed i just only use it on my oldest mqchine runing xp on, becque the firewall on xp doesnt really do much!

also a quick question, the native firewall on WIN 7 and WIN 8 are not bad is it! i never had problems with it!