Two weird problems with my PS3!

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by Coldlm, Apr 19, 2017.

1. 12,267
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

not sure about windows 8, but the native firewall for windows 7 is supposed to be one of the best for that OS. it's what I personally use, and I've had no issues with it. on my other computer (a desktop which is on windows xp), I have sygate. it's a bit of a nag though as it asks u for permission for every little thing. sygate was recommended to me by someone a long time ago. considering the age of the computer, I'll probably just leave it. I sometimes run tests on the computer, but not all that often. it has some new parts in it like the psu, ram, hdd, and dvd drive which I've replaced whenever one of those parts went bad. I just can't let the pc die. <sniffle, sniffle> :-p

Coldlm likes this.
  2. 7,850
    bguerville

bguerville Moderator

An app like ZoneAlarm is also naggy as hell at the beginning if you choose to configure interactively whenever a connection request is made. But after a few days/weeks, everything you use regularly has been configured & the annoying dialogs eventually cease to be a pita.

Regarding the Windows 7 firewall, not sure about it being the best around!
    I am certain however that if configured properly, it would be more than sufficient to handle the requirements mentioned previously, multiple executables and dll, without having to start/stop another service as long as we are only talking about incoming connection control...

I don't use the Windows Firewall very often due to the fact that I have a corporate license for an Internet security suite but I can tell you for certain that the windows 7 firewall is much better than XP's however its features are limited, among other things, it offers no control on outbound connections for instance. That's why a decent 3rd party firewall is always a better option imo although some users prefer to rely on the integrated firewall + ZoneAlarm (or similar) on top, whole others choose virtualisation & sandboxes to improve their security... A question of taste I suppose...

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
    Coldlm and pinky like this.
  3. 12,267
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

that could be the issue with sygate as to y it's still naggy after all these years. it may not save the options u select or I don't have it configured to save them. I'm not entirely sure though. I don't use the pc much. whenever it's on, I typically run virus and malware scans to make sure it's in working order. I honestly can't believe it;s lasted this long, but I have replaced or upgraded parts when that part failed. the psu, for example, is 400W while the original was 350W. the system could no longer open the disc trays which is how I knew that the psu had gone bad. the hdd and dvd drives were obvious. and, the ram, it came with 1GB of ram, so it could barely run anything after a time. I upgraded that to 3GBs. if the system dies now, I'll probably just let it since all my work is done on my laptop now, but even that is showing its age. I think my laptop is about 7 years old whereas the desktop is 12-14 years old. :-/

4. 228
    Coldlm

Coldlm Member

PS3 Update:

I've been delaying this post until i did enough testing, and i think the first problem (The PS3 randomly going to safe mode with errors) is SOLVED.

Since i took off my PS3 from the DMZ mode, and after deleting the files (photo.scr and Info.zip),
    Thr PS3 is running no issues or random error, or taking me to mod!

Thanks to everyone's help and suggestions.

Cheers