PS3 UDK Game Engine - A game engine that now works on PS3 & Xbox360

Discussion in 'THE FEED (Submit/View News)' started by jamesbond, May 24, 2017.

1. 59
    jamesbond

jamesbond Member

Web Designer / Game Designer
    Home Page:

1488829211.th.78217.png

• Hello guys,

I just would like to invite you to know my modified version of UDK (Unreal Development Kit) Engine. I was able, with the help of other folks (programmers and game developers) to add support for consoles, PS3 and Xbox360. So now ANYONE can create homebrew games for free (not commercially) and play it on any PS3 with Custom Firmware and on any hacked Xbox360 (RGH or JTAG).

This is a project I am working from 2 years, and now it`s "officialy released". I also added some enhancements on the engine, some small improvements over original UDK Engine.

I even released a first version of this engine here on psx-place:

Here is the engine`s website where you can download for free:

Here is the Release Trailer and Youtube Channel:

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2017
    Kazama, chris, -SiD- and 8 others like this.
  2. 8,931
    STLcardsWS

STLcardsWS Administrator

Interesting release, Have you created anything with this yourself? Any demos or games by chance? Do you know of anyone other then yourself who perhaps had.

Also, I am a bit curious of the PSXHAX affiliation? I only ask because its not the most reputable site in my opinion and many others who following the homebrew community. Other Sites including here recently gave some warnings about the site, there been alot of false information and even bad software that is damaging that spreads freely there. Sites like wololo.net , PlayStationhax.xyz, Se7vensins, Rebug official site even removed them. So just asking for myself and other the user's the afficlation as i see the site logo there.

Did they have something to do with the project? or just a simple link exchange on his link program (as i see your one of a few sites there o the sidebar)? Just curious as the site is affiliated with some bad things and just curious of the involvement or role they had.

Thanks for the share.

Last edited: May 25, 2017
  3. 6,940
    DeViL303

DeViL303 Developer PSX-Place Supporter

Part-Time XMB Modder
    Yes, very interesting. Nice work 007. :)

I wonder does this mean there are projects out there that use UDK that could be "easily" ported to/compiled for the PS3 now? Even if that not the case , its still a nice new development. Hopefully we see somebody here put this to work..

STLcardsWS likes this.
  4. 59
    jamesbond

jamesbond Member

Home Page:
    Hello my friend. First of all, this project UDK Ultimate born as a personal project. I am developing a homebrew game that I want to release it for free, before creating my first comercial project. As I am using UDK Engine to create my game, and I always dreamed to export my game for consoles, whenever I began to develop my game some years ago PS3 and Xbox360 were still the top game consoles, so that was my dream to export my game to PS3 and Xbox360.

I had found some years ago a completely leak of Unreal Engine 3 Source Code which contained the Source Code for compiling to consoles. So from that time (2 years ago), I began my journey to make it work, to fix that source code and compile it to consoles. It have been a LONG JOURNEY from since that time, which involved me studying C++ programming and asking too much help, and the marjority of help came from members of PSXHAX.com, I got to know a lot of PS3 Devs from PSXHAX.com which helped me. Also another members from Assembler Games, GBATemp, and so on. SO A LOT of people helped me to accomplish this project.

So the project which began as a personal dream, turned out to be usefull for other people aswell, especially those homebrew developers who now can use all the power of Unreal Engine 3 to develop FREE homebrew games, and that`s the reason I decided to release it for the public aswell.

Now I can focus on developing my game, because I already was able to find a way of getting my game on consoles, even though it took 2 years of my life :D

About the development itself, I have created a lot of custom gameplay functions and effects using UDK Ultimate, which you can find here on my Youtube Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAatBXORFDZ419V5X6UYnCg

It is not a complete game, rather, there are MANY demos and test gameplay i made in UDK Ultimate and got it running on XBOX360 and PS3.

I even recreated the Gears of War Chainsaw Execution Animation entirely in Unreal Scripting. I ported some assets from Gears of War 1 to UDK Ultimate, creating a kind of Gears of War Creation Kit.

About the affiliation with PSXHAX.COM, I could not do other way but adding their logo as a way to thank the site admin for ALL his help and support. He gave me a lot of PS3 SDK Stuff which I could not find on the internet, so that guy, the PSXHAX,COM site administrator (which i don`t know his real name) he was essencial for me accomplishing this project.

I released a first version of UDK Ultimate here on December 2015, however, on that time, PS3 support was broken, was not working. Again, thanks to my contacts with members of PSXHAX.COM comunity, I got to know EPICERROR and PIXELBUTTS which were able to fix a problem in Unreal Engine 3 PS3 Source CODE which was the cause of the problem.

About what you said of PSXHAX.COM website being a dangerous site with bad software that is damaging that spreads freely there, sorry bro, I need to disagree. I am a member of PSXHAX.COM for more than 2 years and NEVER I got any virus coming from their site, these are just void words :)

I never had any problem by using their website. About what you said that their site is not trustfull because of fake scene news, I have do disagree again bro, because I follow other sites like wololo.net, and sincerely, the same news I see on scene sites, I see on PSXHAX.COM, I never came across a fake scene news from that site. If there are some member there which spreads fake news (which I never have seen until now), maybe, however I can say that we can`t condemn a site because some user there spread a news which is not true.

Anyway, like I said, UDK Ultimate was my personal project of getting my games on consoles, and so long as I was able to achieve a very stable software with some new improvements over original UDK Engine, I decided to share this with others in the hope that someone will find it usefull aswell. And I only re-released this new version because of the new PS3 Support and a LOT of people asked me to release to the public.

Cheers.

DeViL303 likes this.
  5. 59
    jamesbond

jamesbond Member

Home Page:
    Yeah bro, you can port any UDK project to UDKUltimate and then export to PS3. However, the only problem will be with the assets (models, textures, materials, the upk packages). If you have all the source files (3dsmax, maya models) with textures, it` very easy. You just need to re-export from your 3d package to UDKUltimate and re-create the upk packages. That`s because UDK Ultimate uses UE3 2011 Source Code Base, so you can`t load a upk package which was created in a newer version of UDK.

However, the classes (unreal script files) can just be copied and pasted into UDKUltimate Development\Src folder and it will compile normal.

About the maps, is very easy to port. So long as you already re-imported ALL your custom models, textures, and so on, and re-created the upk packages, and saved them with the same names of your packages created on a newer version of UDK (2015, in example), then you just select ALL the elements inside your map (inside UDK 2015 in example) through the viewport (Ctr+A) then you paste inside the editor viewport of UDK Ultimate, so then all the map will be re-created.

So from there you just need to compile scripts and cook the maps for PS3.

Cheers.

STLcardsWS and DeViL303 like this.
  6. 5,801
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

You mentioned 3dsmax and maya, but what about blender ?, im wondering if there are blender plugins to export to all UDK formats (so everything can be made in blender, from modeling, animating, texturing, etc...)

And another question, i been reading at your documentation and watching some videos, it seems you have a good amount of resources to start building something that works, and most stuff is focused to shooter genre (more specifically from unreal tournament and gears of war) but how flexible is at this point to build other game genres ?
    Lets say... to start with something small like a classic "platforms" game like a "supermario" and eventually grow it to something much bigger like a "little big planet"
    For that are needed very different game mechanics and physics... things like superjumps, jetpacks, gauntlet, parachute, etc...
    All that can be made by scripting in UDK language ?.... or is going to be needed to "tweak" the engine a bit to make games for other genres ?

STLcardsWS likes this.
  7. 7,845
    bguerville

bguerville Moderator

Thanks for sharing..

STLcardsWS likes this.
  8. 8,931
    STLcardsWS

STLcardsWS Administrator

I do not have alot of time, but il address a few points,

- Was not talking about Viruses as being the bad software, I was speaking of promotion of known BAD CFW (did it any times in the PS3 scene) The site it self even manupulated PSP CFW back in the day and caused devices bricks.,

- The fake news was a serious issues, They were promoting these things knowing they are scams or very unlikely t be true and these scams would often times have donation links as well. So the site gives ANY claim validity and gives a scam ground. Happens all the time. If they know its fake (or could be) and promote donations links for a scam or purposely foold you

-Yea some of the same news you will see at other places. BUT YOU WILL NOT SEE THE FAKE BS :) . We give warnings they promote it as being real...........

- I have seen and witness countless times of his lies and manipulation of the community.
    Team Rebug we all use thier CFW and think they are one of the best teams in the scene. They removed PSXHAX as a recommended site, We put out various warnings. PlayStationHAX has multiple warnings. Wololo has had multiple warnings. Se7ensins had warnings, What more does someone need LOL

The scene gave him and his sites many chances over the years. He continues to show that he should not be trusted. Good you got some help from him, but understand he has put many others at risk. Hardwre, donations ect.. That is why we have a problem with him.

He likes to thinks its simple site wars, but its simple ethics. The scene needs more good sites, it does not need bad, dis-honest websites. Which that is what PSXHAX has always been,

Just my opinion but HECK many people share it. As they see it.

9. 770
    Zar

Zar Developer

Carefull, the hyperlink of the udk google site is not the good one.

Nice stuff, i didn't try yet but it look very nice :p

Is there a specific reason that explain why you used unreal engin 3 instead of unreal engin 4 ?

DeViL303 likes this.
  10. 6
    Rufus Desai

Rufus Desai Forum Noob

Thanks for sharing it.

STLcardsWS and DeViL303 like this.
  11. 59
    jamesbond

jamesbond Member

Home Page:
    @STLcardsWS
    Ok bro, thanks for the info. I trully don`t know much about the PS3 Scene because I don`t own a PS3 CFW, only a PS Vita Henkaku.

@sandungas
    Yeah bro, you can use any 3d software which exports for FBX Format. I mentioned 3dsmax and maya because I use both. About the kind of game, yeah, I am creating a shooter based on gears of war, because this I used Gears of War Assets as a placeholder for my gameplay mechanics. However, Unreal Engine 3 is very flexible and you can create ANY kind of game in UDK, and YOU DON`T NEED TO TOUCH THE ENGINE SOURCE CODE (C++), you can program ALL gameplay in Unreal Scripting, because Unreal Scripting access ALL the core Engine Functions. As for HOW to do this, like I said, YOU NEED TO SEARCH TUTORIALS ON YOUTUBE, GOOGLE, and so on. There are almost tutorials for creating ANY kind of game in UDK. I only have never seen a tutorial for creating fighting games, which, in my opinion, I think is very hard :)

Just for inspiration, take a look:

It all comes arround patience, creativity, and much, much dedication. Never forget that UDK Ultimate is the same Engine as UDK, just with some improvements and support to develop for consoles

@Zar
    Hello bro, the reason for me using Unreal Engine 3 instead of Unreal Engine 4, is that whenever I began studying UDK, UE4 was still in development, and I spend almost 2 years studying UDK engine, and as I was able to add support for consoles, which always was my dream, I decided to stay in UDK. Maybe now UE4 is at a very good state of stability, however I still prefeer UDK (personal). Oh, I forget to say, my PC does not run UE4 yet, and I am not going to update my PC untill I finish my homebrew PS3 and Xbox360 game and release it for free

Cheers for all, and I hope that someone finds UDK Ultimate usefull, because, like I said, this is personal project, however, so long as the final result was very good and turned out to be something that many people desired (a engine to develop homebrew 3D games for consoles), I decided to share it.

12. 7,845
    bguerville

bguerville Moderator

Your free modified udk is a very nice contribution to the gaming community imho...

No0bZiLLa and STLcardsWS like this.
  13. 8,931
    STLcardsWS

STLcardsWS Administrator

Hey if he was a help to you that is great and i actually applaud him for that. However for me personally, it does not make me forget about the wrong he has done over the years and contines to do. Just be aware of it, make your own decisions .. Its not a well-respected site within the Scene (has a bit of work to do).

But no need to focus on that apsect, the focus should be your project here and that is great, Hopefully we see something nice come of it , I am sure you are hoping for that as well.. :)

There is some of the best developer's in the scene that come by the forums here & are constantly lurking so need some help drop a question and these guys will lend a hand if they can, You never know who will pop in and lend some advice. :)

Edit: Also i put some of the unrelated psxhax stuff in spoiler's (to keep the thread on target, my fault there ;) my apologies as i do not like to derail threads and did so here myself. )

No0bZiLLa likes this.
  14. 5,801
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

Yeah is great and tempting, and i guess is also the most powerful free game engine for PS3

No0bZiLLa, DeViL303 and STLcardsWS like this.
  15. 7,845
    bguerville

bguerville Moderator

I guess you are right @sandungas..
    In terms of homebrew game development, this gaming engine release could be a game changer, no pun intended.
    IMO such a kit was sorely missing in the arsenal of dev tools available on ps3. Just looking at the Zelda video, I am trying to imagine the various projects we could have today if this had been completed & released years ago..
    But looking to the future, the important thing now is to make sure people know it's readily available & working. New game development aside, UDK games already available for other platforms can now be ported to the PS3 (within hardware specs constraints)...

sandungas and STLcardsWS like this.
  16. 59
    jamesbond

jamesbond Member

Home Page:
    Hello Guys.

Thanks for all the comments, I am very happy to contribute to the scene comunity, I love being usefull for other people :)

I am trying to get a way to make UDK Ultimate run on OFW, I know it`s almost impossible, however I was trying the backup injection method, and for my surprise, I was able to inject the UDKUltimate Demo Game (which comes with UDKUltimate inside the UDKGame PS3 Template. The game showed up on XMB inside a folder of installed PS3 Games on disk, the icon appeared and even the background image appeared aswell. The name of the game was showing up correctly. But the problem is that whenever I clicked to start game, it did not work.

I was first using the original EBOOT.BIN, which, in case of UDK Ultimate, is a NPDRM EBOOT (CONTENT ID), because this is a pkg game.

Whenever I clicked on the game icon to launch, it launched, went to a black screen, then I received the error code 80010017.

Then I got the orginal UDKGame.ELF (the compiled output PS3 binary , the original file), which is a fake self (debug eboot), I renamed it to EBOOT.BIN, then by using true ancestor resigner, I decrypted this eboot.bin to eboot.elf, the same procedure I have done when resigning the eboot.bin to NPDRM. However, this time I resigned it to NON-DRM Eboot using true ancestor resigner, however this time I changed to resign to firmware 4.XX ODE (I supposed that ODE uses OFW, so I imagined that an ODE EBOOT should work on OFW (I don`t know too much about resigning EBOOT, as I said, it was Pixel Butts the guy who helped me to create the PS3 Game Template and resigned the EBOOT).

So after I resigned the EBOOT.BIN to 4.XX ODE using true ancestor resigner, i tried to inject this to my backup.

I entered on my PS3 Super Slim 4.81 OFW, made a backup of my PS3, then copied this backup to true ancestor True Ancestor Backup Retailer folder (backup).

Then I Copied the UDK Ultimate Demo Game Folder to True Ancestor Backup Retailer folder (GAMES), just changed the folders structure a bit, I moved all the files to a parent folder PS3_GAME (because on the original game folder there is no PS3_GAME). Then I tried to inject this to my backup, however true ancestor backup retailer informs me that I need a game update (patch) to place on the folder (game).

So long as UDK Engine Game is based on Unreal Tournament 3, so I downloaded the only game update patch avaiable to UT3 PS3 using PS3 GAME UPDATER V1.52 to understand how is the files structure of the update ( I extracted the pkg).

So after seeing how is the update folder structure, I created my own update (I just duplicated the same game files, however changing the param.sfo to game data instead of HD game).

Everything in place, and now having my own game update, I came back to True Ancestor and tried injecting it again, and now, it worked!!! ALMOST :( :(

Again the game showed up on XMB, however it did not start, however, the error message now was different, I received the error message an error occurred during the start operation 80029530.

Is possible to find a way to resign this eboot.bin to make it work on OFW by the Backup Inject Method?

Any help is welcome, and if this is possible, then this will be a REVOLUTION ON PS3 SCENE, this will be the FIRST AND ONLY GAME ENGINE TO DEVELOP GAMES WHICH RUN ON OFW.

Please help me brothers!!!

17. 770
    Zar

Zar Developer

18. 59
    jamesbond

jamesbond Member

Home Page:
    Hello guys, thanks for the info. I know, UDK Ultimate EBOOT.BIN will never work on OFW because it can`t be signed like retail games (private keys).

However, there is still a chance. The game Unreal Tournament 3 for PS3 supports MODs created on PC, custom maps, custom characters, weapons, almost full. Almost, because there are some limitations, like need to own the UT3 Game Disk to play on PS3 and install the MODs.

I have an idea, and I know if I be able to inject the game Unreal Tournament 3 on PS3 OFW without CFW, I may be able to hack, mod the Unreal Tournament 3 for PC to improve the PS3 Modding Support, like being able to change the entire game files, like Game Menu, and everything, simply because all the game logic and interface is controlled by Unreal Scripting, not by the game executable.

You can easily do this on PC, mod everything of the game UT3 for PC. And as I have the entire source code (unreal scripts) of Unreal Tournament 3 PC, and I have a tool to compile those scripts to PS3 Unreal Engine 3 format (*.XXX files), so my idea would be to modify the PS3 Game files in my pc, then inject these modified files on my PS3 OFW overwriting the original UT3 PS3 Files.

I am almost sure this will work, because it does not change the EBOOT.BIN, the EBOOT.BIN of UT3 PS3 will stay intact, no changes, only the game files.

So I want to try, and if that works, then I can port all the work and customization I have done on UDK Ultimate to Unreal Tournament 3 Editor for PC and PS3 Mod Tools, and then create a new version of UDK Ultimate for PS3 OFW Consoles.

For this I need the help of peopl here, who got experience in injecting games on PS3 OFW, to inject the PS3 UT3 Game on OFW. I CAN PROVIDE THE PS3 UT3 GAME BACKUP AND UPDATE, SO ANYONE CAN TRY TO SEE IF INJECTION WORKS, THEN EXPLAIN TO ME STEP BY STEP SO I CAN TRY ALSO.

Please help guys, this will be something VERY COOL if we can have a tool that allows us to create games and play on PS3 OFW.​

19. 897
    tthousand

tthousand The One Moderator

Terminating Terminators
    Reading this reminded my of a project my dear friend @nativesith had worked on back in the days. I know this is not exactly what you are looking for, but it might be worth looking at anyways. Clicking the link below, you will find a method to transfer modded PS3 GTA IV files from CFW to OFW.

GTA IV Disc/HDD - CFW to OFW Data Transfer Tutorial

Death_Dealer likes this.
  20. 5,770
    atreyu187

atreyu187 Retired Old Hunter Moderator

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:

I have done it as I do it on my slim for my kid. But slightly off topic I know you were looking to making this run on the Vita. Ever get anywhere with that?