PSP Update CFW

Discussion in 'Help & Support' started by ISAK.M, Apr 26, 2019.

1. 701
    ISAK.M

ISAK.M Member

Well, School
    So, I finally bought a PSP for 22$, real cheap ofc.
    I thought it would be on OFW but it was on CFW, 5.50 GEN-D.
    How do I go about updating to 6.61 LME or PRO?
    Should I go OFW 6.61 or?

2. 10,440
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

it's been a long time since I updated, but from what I remember, it's very easy to do. don't update to 6.61. I believe a lot of plugins don't work. 6.60 might be what you want. you can spoof in the recovery menu to 6.61 through the version.txt.

btw, you can triple boot to ofw, l(me) and pro. it takes a few seconds,, so you don't have to choose one. I did have a slow down problem with pro, but as it turns out, the vsh speed was set to its lowest setting. it might be set to that by default, but it will save your settings after setting it to normal speed. :)

T.A.U likes this.
  3. 1,930
    Berion

Berion Developer

There is no reason to update to 6.xx. Sony added only additional security junk, as I remember, no new games/patches appeared which needs 6.x.

pinky and T.A.U like this.
  4. 701
    ISAK.M

ISAK.M Member

Well, School
    So I should stay on 5.50 GEN-D?
    Everytime I boot a game it says "5.50 GEN-D GAMES 5.55 and 6.XX enabled :)
    http://www.pspgen.com"
    Which means all games can be played, so I guess I can stay on 5.50.
    Only thing is that the VSH Menu sucks.
    There is no "Enter Recovery" :(
    When I first booted it it entered Recovery and the settings were nuked, since then I have wondered how to enter recovery, cause I just cant figure it out.
    20190428_130420.jpg

5. 121
    Luisile

Luisile Member

You must first install ofw 6.61 and then you desired cfw. there is no point to stay on 5.50 but all you plugins what you have installed now need to be reinstalled.

6. 701
    ISAK.M

ISAK.M Member

Well, School
    I should add that it is perma patched.
    Installing OFW will basically "format" flash0 right?
    So that it won't matter if it's perma patched or not when installing OFW 6.61 or does it matter? o_O:confused:

7. 268
    Casavult

Casavult Member

I play my PSP almost daily so I'd say definitely update as there is no reason whatsoever to stay on an ancient 5.50 GEN firmware.

Update to either 6.60 or 6.61.

6.60 has better homebrew compatibility but 6.61 has PSN store access.

If you update to 6.61, you can use Davees 660to661 plugin loader which makes it basically the same as 6.60 (but with PSN store access) as the last of the PSP custom plugins (prx) were developed for 6.60 mostly late in its life.

I'd recommend to update to 6.60 or 6.61 OFW first and then use Neur0ns ME 2.3 CFW (OFW installer).

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
  8. 268
    Casavult

Casavult Member

I forgot to add, GEN CFW was notorious for adding version.txt of 9.90/9.99. So if you have any issue updating to 6.60/6.61, you will need to enter recovery menu f0 (flash0) vsh and either edit the version.txt to 5.50 manually, or I'm sure you could find a 5.50 version.txt to put back. Warning: messing with f0 can brick your PSP so only change the version.txt ONLY if it needs to be changed.

You will know this when you go to update to 6.60/6.61 as it will say you are on the latest firmware 9.90/9.99.

EDIT: 5.50 OFW version.txt
    http://www.mediafire.com/?fz2426zn870bxjm

9. 268
    Casavult

Casavult Member

10. 701
    ISAK.M

ISAK.M Member

Well, School
    Soo, I used MrMario2011's tutorial ofc (I am a big fan of that dude)
    When trying to install 6.61 OFW it said I was on 9.90, like @Casavult said GEN was notorious of doing. So I mounted flash0 via the VSH Menu, plugged into PC changed 9.90 to 5.50, installed 6.61 and followed instructions in the video.
    BUT, end step does not work, where I enter "Infinity Bootloader Configuration" and pick "ME CFW by Neur0n". I exit out restart and IT'S NOT PERMANENT. WTH! :mad:
    So I redid the process like 5x "LME Launcher" then "Infinity Bootloader Configuration" then restart but no.
    Then I did the dumbest thing ever in "Infinity Bootloader Configuration" I chose "PRO CFW by Coldbird" instead :(
    This resulted in my PSP not booting at all. I am telling ya, this got me so fucking scared like, like coldsweating, I felt like my muscles where fading. Really scary shit. Also, I don't now what it's called in English but I got "Sugar Drink in my hands". Which is what we call it in Sweden when your hands get like, no blood. Try it. It feels like it would be carbonic acid inside your hands.
    Well, I tried to reboot like 5x but just a black screen, so I thought it would be over, but I had read on GBATemp that holding the HOME button while booting would kinda reset the system, or boot into OFW mode or something like that.
    So, I did that and YES! :D IT BOOTED! But still no permanent CFW :(
    END OF STORY...
    How do I get permanent patched, since it's not working?
    It's a PSP-1004 model 01g if that matters.

11. 1,207
    nCadeRegal

nCadeRegal Moderator

Sounds like something on the memory card isn't sorted properly

12. 701
    ISAK.M

ISAK.M Member

Well, School
    What do you mean?

13. 1,930
    Berion

Berion Developer

And what is the point to update then? All homebrew works, all games works, all modules up to 5.50 works (some of them was never updated past 6.20), nothing important was added by Sony, so what's the point?

In example, I'm still happy user of PSTV with 3.60, on which everything works instead to i.e 3.68. :P

- - -

@ISAK.M Depend of the console model, read about Pandora Battery + Magic Memory Stick. If Your model support it, then You will get ultimate recovery solution as long as IPL still works. I cannot help You in this issue on fw 6.xx but it is worth to mention that there is Sony service "backdoor" utilized years ago, which was named Pandora. This makes Your life easier.

And BTW, I'm not sure if all CFW works on all motherboard models. There are few tough MF like (I could be wrong) TA-83.

14. 121
    Luisile

Luisile Member

And whats the point to stay on 5.50 when the last firmware for psp which is 6.61 is already cracked and there is a cfw 6.61?
    i use 6.61 pro cfw on my psp too withou any problem.
    You think that people on ps3 stays on lets say 3.55 beacause its still works? no they update to latest because its new. on ps3 with 3.55 you can not go to the internet beause security reason.
    So for me is telling people to stay on very very old firmare when there is the latest and final already cracked is BULLSHIT.

as he stated he has PSP-1004 model which is the wirst model so he does not need pandora or infinity he can instal lets say pro cfw.(because i m pro user) install cfw and then use cipl flasher. but he must read instruction and not wait that somebody tels him the exact instructions. not just straith istall infinity. in hes case is infinity not necesary.

15. 1,930
    Berion

Berion Developer

Point to stay on lower fw when You can get nothing important is i.e limiting flash writing cycles, brick risking, needs researching additional stuff (not everyone have time for that and want improve his knowledge) etc. etc.

Peoples on 3.55 cannot run several plugins, they don't have newest superior Cobra and some other issues related to keys. Bad example. :P

Cannot go to the internet? Because of what? Really, and on PS3? I still using Windows 7 with Firefox 55 mostly and don't plan change this for as long as possible. And You know what? It's obviously easy exploitable... as any other Windows including latest build of Windows 10, and including latest Intel CPUs (!). If You don't have really good reason to change Your environment, then You don't doing it because of some low level FUD makers masturbating to version string numbers.

16. 121
    Luisile

Luisile Member

i use window 7 too too thats not the point here. windows 7 is still updated. yeah i have tried go on interned with 2.50 an 3.55 firmware on ps3 and the is still some ssl or another security error because of low firmware and security patches and because the browser is not updated.im for the latest firmware and you can bet on it.

ISAK.M try reseting and clen the psp to state as it was new. nothing on memory card nothing on psp. reinstall the ofw 6.61 twice if you will and then try instaling cfw 6.61 or of you choice. you dont need pandora batery and or infinity. infity is for users who can not have permanelty instaled cfw. but you can.

look at this but read description

or here
    https://digiex.net/threads/psp-6-61...psp-psp-psp-slim-psp-3000-psp-go-e1000.12915/

17. 268
    Casavult

Casavult Member

@ISAK.M You have a PSP 1000 correct? Your PSP supports a fully install-able CFW with cIPL and time machine booting. So reap the benefits of it and use ME instead of LME.

LME and Permanent patch was made mostly for the "unhackable" PSP2000s, 3000s and Go's.

Seeing as you have/had 5.50GEN installed, just change the version.txt to the one I posted above so it reads as 5.50, install OFW 6.61 and then just launch the signed OFW Launcher of 6.61 ME.

You don't need Davees Infinity patch on a fully hackable console or anything like that and are actually making a simple and easy process, incredibly longer for yourself.

Just install 6.61 OFW and use the 6.61 ME OFW installer. You will have a full and permenent CFW that replicates the greatest CFW ever made for PSP by Team M33 and DarK Alex, M33 CFW.

https://www.mediafire.com/download/6cz8ofj44a42wme/release_661me2.3_(OFW_Version).zip

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  18. 701
    ISAK.M

ISAK.M Member

Well, School
    I now have 6.61 PRO-C2 ∞, I solved the permanent issue by uninstalling LME and instead installing PRO-C2, changed setting to "PRO CFW by Coldbird" in the "Infinity Bootloader Configuration". Wolaaaa Permanent CFW.

I have read about those CIPL Flashers and that it is supposedly superior to Infinity, but in what way? Why would it be superior?

19. 268
    Casavult

Casavult Member

cIPL is custom Initial Program Bootloader instead of a patched .prx (vshmain iirc) like what perma patch is. So many consider it superior because it can do things that permanent patch consoles will never do.

cIPL PSPs can use amazing tools such as Time Machine in conjunction with Factory Service Tool aka Pandora, and Time Machine has many, many cool options (like multi booting diffrent firmwares, idStorage, and many more) which are only available to PSPs that can load the Time Machine cIPL. You can't do this on devices that doesn't support cIPL flashing/loading.

Luisile likes this.
  20. 701
    ISAK.M

ISAK.M Member

Well, School
    The 5.50 GEN-D I had before probably was CIPL Flashed since in the VSH Menu there was a "Make Pandora Battery" option and a "Make Normal Battery" option.

From what I have understood Pandora Batteries seems to be a thing of the past or?