PS4 Update error ce-35888-2

Discussion in 'PS4 Hardware' started by xanadu247, Jan 14, 2020.

1. 24
    xanadu247

xanadu247 Forum Noob

Hi guys.

I think i have some insight into this update error. Ive had about 10 consoles that couldnt update due to this error. They all had married, working logic boards on Saa or Sab boards. I put them to the side for latter.

Doing some research, I found Andrew Paul on youtube fix this issue by installing new matching syscon, flash and apu. Seems like a hell of a lot of work to fix this.

I recently acquired a bunch of untouched demo units that were on firmware 1.76. I installed 4.55 and unlocked them from demo mode.Retail or jailbroken 4.55 then worked flawlessly. I found that was the best route to avoid issues with firmware greater than 5.00 installing on wanky blurays/logic boards. I went to update to 5.05 on one of these consoles and it lost power during the update and guess what happened. 3 beeps and shut off, pointing to flash issue.

I removed flash and read it with teensy 2.0++ . Got three matching dumps and BWE validator revealed this:

Filename: dump3_1.bin
    File Size: 33554432
    SKU: CUH-1001A B01
    Version: 4.55
    MD5: 7A2525E16EFBC2F715106DCB54C995E7
    Validator Version: 1.4.4

(values hidden by "x" as i am uncertain if they expose the CID - will forward original to qualified

person like bWe, etc.

CID SKU Ident 25: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [UNLISTED]

CID Dynamic Section 11:

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF [WARNING]

CID Dynamic Identifier 5 (Console S/N): XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX[DANGER]

CID Identifier Filler 4: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX [DANGER]

CID Identifier Filler 9:

'00' found at offset: 0x1C8FD0 [WARNING]

UNK Dynamic Section 29:

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF [WARNING]

Repetition Checks:
    Static Repetition Check: ✔
    Dynamic Repetition Check: ✔

Statistics:
    Entropy: 7.53 (94.13%) ✔
    FF: 3965513 (11.82%) ✔
    00: 836106 (2.49%) ✔

Final Count:
    OK: 471
    Warning: 4
    Danger: 3
    Unlisted: 1

I didnt see any drastic problem, but then again, ive only validating a handful of these, so i reinstalled the flash untouched.

To my surprise, the 3 beeps was gone and i could load into recovery, but still get update error ce-35888-2 everytime. Unit was fully working on 4.55 prior.

I believe the flash or syscon has something to do with this error and it might reset and allow for updating somehow when units sit???

I then thought to try to update some of the units that had failed with this update error, and i was able to update 2 successfully now, were i wasnt able to the first time.

Does any one have any insights.Would be great to fix this by manipulating the flash somehow reliably.

DeViL303, sautzer and Yugonibblit like this.
  2. 112
    sautzer

sautzer Member

Note that I'm not an expert but from my understading that are main flash part that aren't directly linked to the PS4 hardware (per console area). So if you find that the non per console area is corrupted, you can put the good part solving the problem. Is something you do with the error SU-41283-8, that is linked or to a corrupted WiFi/Bt fw in the NOR (from offset 0x1C4000 to 0x1CA000) or you need to change the WiFi/Bt module. BTW in my opinion, yes, you could recover some PS4 with the NOR corrupted but we haven't many resource to understand it, or I'm not good finding them.

EDIT:
    an example: https://www.psxhax.com/threads/bwe-ps4-nor-repair-guide-by-betterwayelectronics.6671/