PS3 (UPDATE its Not working at all. )What type of LOD is this?

Discussion in 'Hardware Mods' started by Luisile, Jul 3, 2019.

1. 277
    Luisile

Luisile Member

Hi. Today i buyed cechc fat Ps3 as non working.and i dont know what type of error is that. If its a RLOD whitch is teoreticaly fixable using teensy and reflash nand or ylod whitch is unfixable until i try to replace Tokin capacitors.thanks for answer.

2. 7,592
    kozarovv

kozarovv Super Moderator

Home Page:
  3. 86
    Fanhais

Fanhais Member

ylod reballing or tantalum capacitor needed

4. 1,175
    umart666

umart666 Senior Member

first change the caps,if that doesn't fix it you can bake it.

5. 352
    snkplkn

snkplkn Member

ok this looks like ylod. One more thing. Notice that PS3 is giving ylod after around 5 seconds of starting up. If it gives ylod just on the startup without any delay, then there is a chance of bad PSU. But you have a ylod which is delayed. So problem likely in Motherboard. Can you check if fan has started running in 1st 5 seconds?

Even before replacing capacitors. Try giving a little heat on these capacitors. Don't desolder them. There is a theory @Naked_Snake1995 that these capacitors may temporarily be revived by giving heat. So try it. If you are successful, then you are sure to replace those capacitors. So first clean up your console, remove all dirt, give some heat to those capacitors (maybe using a hair dryer) and replacing thermal paste. Then see what happens.

By the way, is warranty seal intact?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
  6. 277
    Luisile

Luisile Member

I can test the Psu i have another working cechc. Yes the fan is starting Like on normal working Ps3. no Bad news here it was opened but the motherboard was not out i Will check that one more tíme..

7. 352
    snkplkn

snkplkn Member

ylod caused by psu usually means fan won't start. But since you already have a spare psu, no real harm in trying. Issue looks on the motherboard.

If warranty seal is broken and PS3 opened before, its a possibility that someone already tried to work on ylod issue but couldn't get a permanent fix. Is thermal paste still fresh?

8. 1,175
    umart666

umart666 Senior Member

i really doubt someone baked that modbo,at worst tried with heatgun or hair dryer but almost certanly just cleaned and replaced the thermal paste.

9. 1,692
    Naked_Snake1995

Naked_Snake1995 Senior Member

Graphic Designer
    Theory? You hurt my heart

Its not a theory, its a confirmation,and you don't need to put direct heat into the board, although it would be faster, you can use the hair-drier to blow hot air upwards from the back, just be sure to remove the plastic I/O - Exhaust sheild, unless you want to melt it, fan its advised as well.

Ive done this multiple times on TOSHIBA Laptops which had only 1 NEC/TOKIN by blowing hot air through the exhaust vent, it works, same for the PS3 although its quite a pain in the arse, due to the nature of the airflow, and usually only lasts for about 30min,but its enough for a diagnosis check.

Remember Laptops usually have 1 NEC/TOKIN, so they will instantly shutdown no matter what, PS3s on the other hand have either 8 or 4 (Slim) NEC/TOKINs, and if just one fails, its enough not to make the machine to boot, hence the YLOD.

Notice this is a delayed YLOD, which its usually a good sign, meaning the RSX NECs are mostly dead, there are some cases when the machine can have damaged or dying NECs, but it will still boot, but it would shutdown afterwards, this is even a better sign.

But all things considered, if you are going to replace the NECs, replace the once of the top, you will need the bottom NECs to form a bridge, so you can avoid using a jumper, ive seen people replacing on the bottom as well, although you would have to use a jumper, which believe me, last time i tried, even with a thick wire, it melted and burned the wire, just to give you a idea how stupidly strong the current from the NECs are, no wire can withstand that,so i advise to leave the bottom ones from underneath the motherboard, just replace on the top, you will have to use the jumper ONLY as a last resort, when replacing the whole set with Tantalums, but you can also replace the bottom ones, just one, replace the 3 NECs with Tantalums and leave one Original NEC, this will do the same as a jumper, but avoiding short-circuits.

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
  10. 277
    Luisile

Luisile Member

So guys im very thankfull for your answers.°We can rule out the psu. i have tested it now from my working unit and no change.Altrough in my working unit is APS-227 and in the non working is LSEB1226A1. Whitch one is better? i resume the dissassembly in this weeken because i have not much time because of my work. so i post the result probably sunday night.

Can you please explain this? i dont know if im sleeping right now but i dont get it.

11. 211
    Vishera

Vishera Member

Baking is a bad idea,unless you need to get the eid root key in order to get the data back -_-
    But that's just temporary,I had rather solve the problem from the source.

My case exactly :D
    The shutdown happens only at very heavy loads like playing the Last of Us,sometimes happen with Red Dead Redemption...

Anyway i plan to add Tantalums in addition to the NECs.

12. 1,692
    Naked_Snake1995

Graphic Designer
    Ill have to make an extensive and detailed tutorial, so far still didn't made one due to my busy schedule, this its a long repair topic,so steps cannot be skiped or missed, once ill do one, ill notify.

13. 1,692
    Naked_Snake1995

Graphic Designer
    Yes, there are some cases which a damaged NEC will still hold or provide a charge, the problem is, which each day, either the machine will fail to post at some point or it will shutdown with more intensive titles, ive observed that when i had my C04 on the original NECs, it would shutdown after 30/40min depending on the title, sometimes within minutes, once i made the replacement, the machine holds to normal, except in TLOU, which i suspect the Tantalum replacement wasn't enough, so more are needed, but as i don't use the 60Gb for PS3 Titles, its enough for me, and it will hold for years to come, but for people who has the same model, and use it extensively, then a full Tantalum replacement its advised for a proper GPU workload supply.

14. 277
    Luisile

Luisile Member

I understand the thing that i must try to replace the Caps.i know how to do it but i have not understand the "Jumper" thing that you mentioned.
    On my thing sorry no update im very busy at work. But i have managed to totaly dissassemble the ps 3 and cleaned it, so the thing it was opened and the thermal paste was change but it was a mess. But it looks like the boards was not baked. No heat domage. But the battery was disconected. But i think Ps3 can run without battery. So i will order some smd Caps and replace top nec Caps on Rsx.i post an update then.

15. 1,692
    Naked_Snake1995

Graphic Designer
    The Jumper its only needed if you remove all the NECs from Upside and Downside the Motherboard,the NECs have an internal jumper, but when you remove them you are breaking that bridge,but if you leave at 2 NECs per-side, the Jumper its not required.

16. 277
    Luisile

Luisile Member

Aha ok so i need to replace only the Nec on top where are the rsx and cell. The bottom ones i need to leave as they are. If they are Bad they must stay. What Will happen if somebody remove all the necs? The boards Will not work at all?

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
  17. 1,692
    Naked_Snake1995

Graphic Designer
    If you remove all of them youll need to create at least a bridge between them with a wire jumper, but be advised, you need to find a decente quality wire, the current overflow its so stong, that actually melts and the wire can catch fire, happend to me once on a donor board for testing.

18. 277
    Luisile

Luisile Member

Ok thank for answer. If i have some updates i Will post it here.

19. 31
    Chaos Husky

Chaos Husky Forum Noob

Goodness me you guys are making me cringe.. xD poor hardware.. I was lucky enough to get a Phat YLoD PS3 recently with the seal still intact though! Had died around July 2011 according to the last time something was saved to it.. I've revived it, however i'm not using it yet, need to get CFW on it first! Then i can turn the darn fan up a bit without making it howl like a banshee all the time..

I wish you luck! Hopefully the previous repair attempt hasn't ruined your chances further..

20. 211
    Vishera

Vishera Member

Well,a thicker wire will do the job,the thicker it is,the more current it can pass without melting.

"What can happen when you use too small of wire size for your equipment? ... If too small of a size is used, the wire could melt because of the large amount of current flowing through it compared to how much the cables can handle. The smaller the wire diameter, the higher the resistance there will be to the flow of energy."