(UPDATE) Where can I find New or Nearly New DS3's?

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by Fin9ersMcGee, May 15, 2019 at 7:42 AM.

1. 455
    Fin9ersMcGee

Fin9ersMcGee Moderator

Musician
    UPDATE:

So the DS3 arrived..... And I'm ecstatic to say, on first inspection, it's genuine aaaaand BRAND NEW!!

[​IMG]

More photos can be found here:
    https://m.imgur.com/a/KKyfpDu

I'M SOOOOO HAPPPYYYYYY :) :) :)

So after HENing my console and playing some games I remembered that the battery in by Sixaxis is dying.
    My other Sixaxis has a wandering analogue stick :(

I never got round to buying a Dualshock 3 when they were easily available and now I cant find much at all.

I'm looking for New or close to New condition. Ebay had a couple that looked promising but on further inspection turned out to be fakes or "Replicas". Annoyingly, internet shopping for this kind of item sucks as you can never fully tell the condition of the controller from a few, low res, low light photos :/ so finding 'nearly new' is impossible.

Ive been to my local used game shops and seen what they have to offer but there just wasn't a perfect example of what I was after.

So, psxplace, can you help a brother out?
    Ideally new

Thanks all

Last edited: May 18, 2019 at 5:30 AM
    DeViL303 likes this.
  2. 4,677
    atreyu187

atreyu187 Wanna-BeTA Tester Moderator

MCU/Sony Enthusiast!
    Home Page:
    I had to go with a Gamestop pad to find a working one in good shape. You can luckily get a battery replacement for cheap if you can't source one you can be sure is legit.

3. 645
    ISAK.M

ISAK.M Member

Well, School
    Try to find them on second hand sites etc, it's going to be hard finding one in "new" condition but at least nearly new condition is possible.
    When I bought my Slim I got a legit Dualshock 3 in excellent condition with barely no wear and tear on it. It was a little dirty but other then that it was in "nearly new" condition. I was lucky ;)

ntodek, Fin9ersMcGee and atreyu187 like this.
  4. 455
    Fin9ersMcGee

Fin9ersMcGee Moderator

Musician
  5. 4,266
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

Not used and in his box ?, hmmm not sure if could be legit

Btw, some of the latest official dualshock3 are a bit "meh" quality inside, sony started reducing manufacturing costs of them after the last PS3 slim model and they went a bit out of control

The best way is to try to search for used dualshocks on local stores (and be lucky for the internal circuits to be one of the intermediate models)... if you are decent with soldering you can replace the sticks. 2 new sticks from ebay are like 6€
    And the battery i dont remember prices, but there are several brands some have more capacity than the originals

Fin9ersMcGee likes this.
  6. 455
    Fin9ersMcGee

Fin9ersMcGee Moderator

Musician
    I took the plunge and bought the ebay controller. Could be new... Could be used and placed back in the box. But from my past experiences, the seller looks to be just a regular 'sell all my old stuff' kinda person. So hoping they don't know the true value of 'New Old Stock'. I'm pretty certain its legit. The packaging matches the official European packaging.

....Man i really hope this is brand new legit

EDIT: At least if its not brand spanking new, i can get a refund through ebay

7. 4,266
    sandungas

Well it had a good price and the photo did look legit, not sure if there are "clones" where they fakes the box that good, i never saw them... so lets hope is legit, worths the try :)

The next thing needed to know if you was superlucky is to see the circuits board inside, but for that is needed to open it, and i dont recommend you to open it
    The way how are assembled in factory makes them pretty solid (doesnt makes any noise when playing because are new), but if you open it and close it again it could become a bit loose and start making noises when the vibration motors spins

8. 620
    umart666

umart666 Member

i could always tell it's fake by the label on the back,until recently they weren't been able to get it quite right,especially the fonts.

9. 455
    Fin9ersMcGee

Fin9ersMcGee Moderator

Musician
    I will update the post with pics when I receive it

10. 455
    Fin9ersMcGee

Fin9ersMcGee Moderator

Musician
    I'm actually pretty good with disassembly. Growing up, taking things apart was what I did for fun lol.
    If i were to crack it open and take a ganders at whats inside, what would I be looking for to determine if its the 'ultimate' DS3? Date codes?

11. 4,677
    atreyu187

MCU/Sony Enthusiast!
    Home Page:
    I would of as well for that price!! My current system I was better off buying another model. The HDMI port is broken and it didn't have a controller but it was free. Guy even shipped it to me from Canada to the US for free. No one would help the guy hack his system so I took the time and he knew me from the place I was staying. One day a 3000 model just showed up to my room. Used composite cables for a while as the component cables are ludacris for official ones. Finally got a nice PS2 set without ghosting. And finally got an official DS3 instead of that crappy wired Gamestop pad. Cost me around $75 but I did it in stages as I haven't been able to work. I'm quiet happy with this setup till I make it back home to my other system.

12. 4,266
    sandungas

The model is printed in the board in white text, it tells "VX3", "VX4", "VX5", etc...
    https://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/DualShock_3

In the VX6 they removed part of the circuits of the sticks (since this models the sticks are supposed to be less sensitive)
    Thats not specially bad i guess, i have not tryed myself to see if the lose of sensitivity is much notable

But in VX7 the board circuits was reduced a lot, they removed lot of stuff, they even replaced the manufacturer of the controller chip (all previous models was made by toshiba)
    The sticks are soldered into a ribbon circuit board (easy to break if you open it), etc...
    Are a bit "meh"... the only good thing they have is they works in the recovery menu of the PS3 and when doing low level stuff (like factory/service mode, etc...)
    But other than that... there are some unnofficial controller manufacturers that have beter electronics than the officials VX7

There is a brand named "gamesir" that i know they uses good electronics, and i know several people that bought one and told me that have a very good feeling... but doent works in recovery menu :/

13. 4,677
    atreyu187

MCU/Sony Enthusiast!
    Home Page:

Dude you are literally a breathing wiki. I know you maintain it but geesh seems like you got all this stuff memorized. Bravo!! Learn so much from your post!!

sandungas likes this.
  14. 645
    ISAK.M

ISAK.M Member

Well, School
    I have been thinking the same thing haha :D

sandungas likes this.
  15. 620
    umart666

umart666 Member

one good and quick way to check is using scp toolkit on a PC,it would say if it's a genuine and you don't have to open it or do anything other than installing scp toolkit and plugging it in usb port.it isn't 100 percent reliable but for quick and easy method it's quite nice.

you can install it on a laptop and take with you if you're buying seconhand locally,that way it's really practical.scp will work with most better copies also but it will say it's a non genuine sony model or unrecognized.

sandungas and Fin9ersMcGee like this.
  16. 4,266
    sandungas

I wrote a lot of that page, i dissassembled a couple of dualshock3 i have (VX4 and VX5) and was studying the circuits for weeks, also comparing the components with other models by looking at some high quality photos someone uploaded years ago in xbox-scene forums, i know almost all circuits of all dualshock3 models :D
    *There are a lot of pins unknowns though because some of the components was manufactured exclusivelly for sony, so there is no public documentation from the original manufacturers
    Good tip, i was not aware of it :encouragement:

So @Fin9ersMcGee this seems to be a test you should try :)

atreyu187 and Fin9ersMcGee like this.
  17. 60
    snkplkn

snkplkn Forum Noob

Genuine DS3 controllers, box packed, completely new?!! Looks like scam to me. I have read about many such scams going on ebay and amazon. They are selling cheap counterfeit Chinese controllers branding them as ORIGINAL DS3. DS3 isn't even in production anymore. There still be some sellers who have some ORIGINAL stocks but trusting them is a risk because most sellers promising ORIGINAL DS3 are scamsters. Be careful.

Easy way to buy original DS3. Just buy a used one in working condition. Check your local ad listings and see the controller first hand before buying. You can also ask the buyer to let you open the controller to verify its genuine. Takes about 2 minutes to unscrew and put back 5 screws. You can tell controller whether its genuine or not just by a glimpse of Battery and PCB which has Toshiba chip i believe.

By the way, used PS3 accessories (like controllers, PS MOVE and Camera etc) are being sold dirt cheap. I don't know why anybody wants to buy these accessories in new (and they're not even in production anymore).

Last edited: May 16, 2019 at 2:19 AM
  18. 455
    Fin9ersMcGee

Fin9ersMcGee Moderator

Musician
    Fingers crossed its genuine.
    The seller was also selling a ps3 vertical stand, new and boxed. I looked that up as well and the packaging matches the European design.
    The seller had only one available... So I'm guessing/hoping it's just been stored somewhere from new and dug out recently to be sold....
    Most of the fakes on ebay have the US design packaging...

I'm just listening things to make me feel like I made the right choice lol

19. 455
    Fin9ersMcGee

Fin9ersMcGee Moderator

Musician
    Main post updated with photos :)

DeViL303 likes this.
  20. 455
    Fin9ersMcGee

Fin9ersMcGee Moderator

Musician
    DeViL303 likes this.