(Update R2 released) Developer @OsirisX is back with release 2 of the PS4 port of RetroArch , this unofficial port (based on v1.8.1 of the main project) now contains 37 libretro cores adding an additional 12 since the initial release, those cores include the arcade core FBA & also a Sega Saturn Yabause (curious how that compares to the standalone from znullptr), while N64 emulation still needs some work the parallel_64 core included in v1 has seen a new companion and n64 offering in the addition of the Mupen64 core. The new n64 core does offer some small speed improvements from parallei_64 and may still need some improvements to come in the future hopefully (please share your results/feedback below, which games are working for you?).. Also a bug other's and myself experienced has been addressed, the issue being (in r1) where we could not launch any content in other locations, such as in playlist has now been fixed in the r2 release. That is a welcomed bug to be squashed as now playslist/collections/favorites ect.. should work fine. The PS4 homebrew scene looks in alot better position then it did weeks ago. You have to really stop and look the PS4 now has 37 different things it can now run that was not possible a couple weeks ago. Stay tuned as this is port is sure to mature even more with time and likely become an official release sooner or later for the RetroArch project. The libretro team has already expressed support..
(Original Article r1) RetroArch for the PS4 was in development around this time last year, if you recall. Various developer's such as frangarcj & bigboss were showing the initial progress and private builds of the port's early progress and then development seem to come to a slow-down without much news surrounding it. In the meantime the PS4 community followed the emergence of a new PS2 port of RetroArch as some ps2 homebrew can be played via emulation and in the 5.05 ps4 via a PS2 Classic convert, This gave a small taste of RetroArch emulation in a limited capacity on the PS4. A native PS4 port was and has been in high demand, now developer @OsirisX has answered the call and has delivered an unofficial release of RetroArch PS4 (v1.8.1-R1) to become the latest PS4 Homebrew. We have seen a few ps4 homebrew releases but this is huge news for the PS4 community, For those of you who may not know the developer. This person has been in the scene for a long time and has been responsible for various projects across platforms, some of our reader's may recall one project on the PS3 from this dev ( PS3xPAD (cfw plugin)..)
The initial release of this port contains 25 libretro cores with more coming in future updates, the included cores ranging from experimental N64 emulation, MAME, PS1, DosBoX, NES, Genesis/Mega Drive, 32x and other libretro core's that will emulate many retro console now on your PS4!!!. For more information about this port checkout the release notes from the developer attached below, along with some extra bits of info we have added as well. Please share your experiences in the comments below. What is working and not working?
View tab marked Update below for R2 details
This is a native PS4 port of RetroArch. It is based off v1.8.1.
Only a handful of cores are ported for now but more will come at a later date!
( Video's by @Grim Doe )
You will need a jailbroken PS4 running 5.05 fw to install and use this port.
Ported cores list:
- 2048_libretro.self - 2048 core
- dosbox_libretro.self - DOSbox 0.74, MS-DOS Emulator
- desmume2015_libretro.self - Nintendo DS [NDS]
- fceumm_libretro.self - FCEUmm, Nintendo Entertainment System [NES]
- gearboy_libretro.self - Gearboy, Game Boy [DMG + Color]
- genesis_plus_gx_libretro.self - Genesis Plus GX, Sega Genesis/Mega Drive & Sega CD & Sega Master System
- mame2000_libretro.self - MAME 0.37b5, Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator
- mame2003_libretro.self - MAME 0.72, Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator
- mame2003_plus_libretro.self - MAME 0.72+, Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator
- mednafen_gba_libretro.self - MednaFen GBA, Game Boy Advance [GBA]
- mednafen_lynx_libretro.self - MednaFen Lynx, Atari Lynx
- mednafen_ngp_libretro.self - MednaFen NeoPop, Neo-Geo Pocket [Color]
- mednafen_snes_libretro.self - MednaFen SNES, Super Nintendo [SNES]
- mednafen_vb_libretro.self - MednaFen VB, Virtual Boy
- mednafen_wswan_libretro.self - MednaFen WonderSwan, Bandai WonderSwan [+ Color]
- mgba_libretro.self - mGBA, Game Boy Advance [GBA]
- parallel_n64_libretro.self - Nintendo 64 (Experimental) [N64]
- pcsx_rearmed_libretro.self - PCSX ReARMed, PlayStation 1 [PS1]
- picodrive_libretro.self - PicoDrive, Sega Genesis/Mega Drive & Sega CD & Sega 32X
- quicknes_libretro.self - QuickNES, Nintendo Entertainment System [NES]
- snes9x2002_libretro.self - Snes9X 2002, Super Nintendo [SNES]
- snes9x2005_libretro.self - Snes9x 2005, Super Nintendo [SNES]
- snes9x2005_plus_libretro.self - Snes9x 2005 Plus, Super Nintendo [SNES]
- snes9x2010_libretro.self - Snes9x 2010, Super Nintendo [SNES]
- snes9x_libretro.self - Snes9x, Super Nintendo [SNES]
- See UPDATE tab for cores added in the r2 update
UPDATE: r2 release:
- Fixed launching games from playlists
- Added more cores including mupen64plus (N64), yabause (Sega Saturn), etc. Check below for full list
- Note: There is just small speed improvement with mupen64 compared with parallel.Newly added cores since r1:
- desmume_libretro.self - Nintendo DS [NDS]
- fbalpha2012_libretro.self - FB Alpha 2012 v0.2.97.29, Arcade Machine Emulator [Various]
- fbalpha2012_cps1_libretro.self - FB Alpha 2012 CPS1 v0.2.97.28, Capcom Play System [CPS1]
- fbalpha2012_cps2_libretro.self - FB Alpha 2012 CPS2 v0.2.97.28, Capcom Play System II [CPS2]
- fbalpha2012_cps3_libretro.self - FB Alpha 2012 CPS3 v0.2.97.29, Capcom Play System II [CPS3]
- fbalpha2012_neogeo_libretro.self - FB Alpha 2012 NeoGeo v0.2.97.29, SNK Neo-Geo AES/MVS
- fmsx_libretro.self - fMSX, MSX 1/2 Emulator
- mednafen_pcfx_libretro.self - Mednafen PC-FX, NEC PC-FX
- mednafen_supergrafx_libretro.self - Mednafen SuperGrafx, NEC PC Engine SuperGrafx
- mupen64plus_libretro.self - Nintendo 64 [N64]
- mupen64plus_next_libretro.self - Nintendo 64 [N64]
- yabause_libretro.self - Yabause, Sega Saturn
Release Notes (provided by port developer): (updated for R2)
1. Games can either be loaded from hdd or usb.
2. The RetroArch system folder is located in /data/retroarch/system. Any necessary bios files need to be placed there.
3. There is a small bug where sometimes games won't load after closing it. If this happens, try re-loading the core and load the game again.
4. N64 emulator seems to run fastest with rice gfx plugin. Use mupen64plus for best N64 emulation performance
5. Shaders should be working. Try loading them from usb if you're experiencing issues and don't forget to press apply after loading.
6. Launching games from playlists should now be working in r2.
7. USE PS4 Hen 2.1.1+ "there are some required patches in later Hen versions that need to be applied." (quote 1)
Source (code) will be pushed to main branch eventually but will be slow to ensure nothing breaks!Additional Note's (provided by psx-place):
1.Tip: How to toogle Menu while in gameplay. default is set to Touchscreen (push) + Option button or refereed to "Start + Select" in Setting>>Input>>Menu toggle Gamepad Combo where there is many options.
2. Tip: Under the above option you can also switch X/O button behavior as well.
Setting>>Input>>Menu Swap Ok & Cancel buttons
3.Bug: Automatic Core detection/switching is not supported currently on this port.. You will have to manually switch your cores before launching roms. When you have a core loaded it will suggest it can play any rom as the detection is broken fixed in r2
4. Bug: Launching Roms from playlist or history or basically any location other then manually finding the file will result in RetroArch just reloading and not launch the rom. fixed in R2
5. Submitted Bug Report: (via @Vegeta ) - Shader's not working (see details) UPDATE (r2) See r2 revised dev Notes above regarding shaders
6.) Tip: Forcing Analog controls: Settings>>Input>>>>User "X" binds>>>>User "X" Analog to digital type: Then you can choose left or right stick for dpad controls (note dpad controls will still work as well)
- Video's Courtesy of @Grim Doe on a PS4 PRO using version "r1"
R2 N64 & Saturn Test
Additional "R2" Gameplay
Acknowledgments/Thanks (via @OsirisX)
- Flatz for figuring out OpenGL on PS4
- Frangarcj for the initial RetroArch PS4 port
- Big Boss for liborbis
- RetroArch (PS4_r1)
- RetroArch (PS4-r2)
Release Thread @: gbatemp.net
Recent PS4 Homebrew Releases:
PS4 (Updated) RetroArch (unofficial PS4- R2) Now includes 37 libretro cores (Yabause / Mupen64 addded)
By STLcardsWS on Dec 27, 2019 at 6:32 PM
[UPDATE] RetroArch v1.8.4: PS Vita & PSP Ports "massively increased core collection"The RetroArch project keeps evolving and has been updated to v1.8.3 (UPDATE: Now on v1.8.4 [16th January 2020] - see Changelog for more Information) as a number of new improvements come to both the PS Vita & PSP ports. Developer's and libretro contributors from all over have been elevating the emulation project. In particular @frangar and @fjtrujy are coupe of the devs who have been porting new cores to the PSP. Now MAME 2000, freeIntv, TGB Dual and Handy are some new libretro cores running in the PSP port. Then the PS Vita port has seen performance improvements for MAME 2000, 2003 and 2003_plus. Additional details below and also on the official blog post linked below.
vitaQuakeIII v0.9 Released - Data Files Downloader Added + "Urban Terror" support addedRinnegatamante has released version 0.9 of VitaQuakeIII for your homebrew enabled PS Vita for when your on the go or your PlayStation TV / Vita TV when your gaming away on the big screen. Either way this is an enjoyable homebrew port. In this version marked as 0.9 the developer has added an Automatic Data FIle Downloader when data files are not present. This makes the release much easier to install and setup and a nice edition to the vita homebre. There has been alot of attention to performance as well in this update the addition of dynamic libraries support for OpenArena core has provided a significant boost. Also, this update provides some experimental support for Urban Terror. This add-on is multiplayer, but as the vita port developer explains in the release notes provided below there will be some issue as outlined due to this was a release designed for the PC and the Rinnegatamante had to do quite a bit of work to get it running on the Vita:Continue reading
webMAN MOD v1.47.26 updated by AldostoolsA smal update has arrived to the popular PS3 plugin that comes packed with tons of functionality. webMAN MOD has been updated from developer @aldostools with the release of version 1.47.26. This is not a huge update but the dev has pushed a fixed to a "gamepad combo" issue that was reported by wmm user gosseux,The problem seemed to occur if combo "select+up/down" was disabled it also was disabling "Select+O" button combo. This since has been fixed with this new update, also there was a requested feature added. That feature (syscall command via web) should not be used unless you know you are doing as there could be some issue occur if used incorrectly. So its a use at your own risk feature . More about that feature can be seen in the changelog provided below.Continue reading
Share This Page
- henkaku homebrew
- playstation 2
- playstation 2 resources
- playstation portable
- playstation portable cfw
- playstation portable resources
- playstation tv
- ps vita
- ps2 resources
- ps3 cfw
- ps3 homebrew
- ps4 homebrew
- psp cfw
- psp resources
- pstv homebrew
- vita homebrew
- webman mod
- xmb mod
- User Record:
- Latest Member:
The best PS2 soft-modding-installer around (newest version available here) -SP193
Boots to "APPS". Art can be 320x480 (exactly 1/2 screen). Theme for CoverArt lovers -UniqueUserName