Updating Cobra Ferrox query please teach me sempai.

Discussion in 'PS3 Jailbreak CFW and PS3HEN' started by anilinov, Mar 20, 2019.

1. 5
    anilinov

anilinov Forum Noob

Hello guys, I'm sorry for the noob quest or if it was answered already in the forum.
    My current debacle is I have Cobra Ferrox 4.81 I want to update to 4.83 but with
    the
    https://www.psx-place.com/threads/4-83-cfw-homebrew-apps-plugins-tools-updated-for-4-83.20957/
    for a broken BD Logic board.

Because mine is shutting down the ps3, it's short-circuiting or something basically crashes the ps3 when loading up a game, I changed my Logic board with a new one, and the motherboard fried it, and now I'm using the old one, I have to disconnect it when I start my ps3 and I can play games with no problem, but I've got to open up my ps3 every time I start it.

So long story short I have no logic board, and when I was going to try and update Cobra Ferrox I saw there was a no Logic board firmware.

So the question is can I update it from Cobra Ferrox 4.81 directly to Cobra CFW (NoBD & NoBT) 4.83 OVERFLOW COBRA NoBD

And I have no idea if my Cobra Ferrox 4.81 is CFW or CEX and what the difference is.

2. 1,339
    psykosis

psykosis Developer Developer

CEX = Retail (You would have converted to DEX, and thus know you were on it if you were)
    Ferrox is a CEX firmware. CFW = Custom Firm Ware. OFW= Official Firm Ware

You should be able to update to nobd firmware as normal, but realize that noBT = no bluetooth...and thus no wireless controllers... and IIRC no wifi either. If your BT/WIFI is fine, then opt for noBD without noBT.

DeViL303 likes this.
  3. 5
    anilinov

anilinov Forum Noob

Thank you for the answer, and second, I want to apologize, all the information was in the link of the firmware I'm an idiot :D

Second, you can't update without a logic board plugged in, it's good someone in the forum posted that haha

Third, it worked, I can now load games without a logic board plugged in the ps3.

Fourth and final, off topic i cloned my ps3 fat 80gig hdd with my docking station to a 240gig ssd, it ran like a charm, the problem is, it says I have the same free space as my 80gig hdd :( it wont allocate the actual free space damn, any ideas how can this be fixed?

Oh and is there any fan control utility to run automatically?

4. 11,932
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

the GBs on hdds will not be exactly as advertised. and, the system allocates around 10% for the system.

5. 452
    Alexander

Alexander Developer

If you wait this weekend, the Ferrox Cobra 8.01 version is ready for release. Hopefully, I can also release a version NoBD

Luisile likes this.
  6. 5
    anilinov

anilinov Forum Noob

Haha no it's actually exactly the same free space 22gigs of free space, and I should have something like 180gigs of free space, since I upgraded from 80 gigs to 240ssd.

Well since I have a way to clone my drives now i'm willing to test other firmwares, but the one I installed now 4.83 OVERFLOW NoBD from bobby_downgrades (idk. at least that's the name it shows when the console load's up), i'm verry happy that I wont be using the retarded multiman or irishman anymore.

P.S. God bless Bobby.

7. 6,902
    DeViL303

DeViL303 Developer PSX-Place Supporter

Part-Time XMB Modder
    There is no way to fix that, you have transplanted an encrypted image of a 80GB drive to another bigger drive, the PS3 can only see the original encrypted partition, you will need to format that drive in the PS3 to make that space usable. There is no other way.
    WebMAN Mod is what I use, it runs in the background automatically, not sure if there any other auto running solutions.

8. 5
    anilinov

anilinov Forum Noob

Damn, that's the one thing I didn't want to do, since one of my usb's is broken, now I'll have to replace them.

Yes I found webman pre-installed in the firmware OVERFLOW NoBD 4.83 from Bobby before that i was using the one in irishman it sucked balls.

9. 11,932
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

I dunno where that information is stored. I tried finding it on the ps4, since people were having issues with deleted games, then not getting the space back. the ps3 is notorious for this. I had thought, on the ps3 anyway, that one of the mms plugins was responsible, bit it's likely recorded.elsewhere.

10. 5
    anilinov

anilinov Forum Noob

So, how should I format my drive, trough ps3 system setting or trough jailbreak safe mode setting when holding down the power button?