Updating from 3.41 CFW

Discussion in 'PS3 Jailbreaks / CFW' started by PS3BigFan, Dec 30, 2018.

1. 41
    PS3BigFan

PS3BigFan Member

Hi guys,
    coming back to PS3 since a looong time again due to some really cool new PS3 games and trying to figure out what to do now best.
    What would you recommend - updating to 4.83 Ferrox or Overflow, with or without Cobra, or maybe 4.82.2 Rebug REX? What are the benefits of each of them? Is it possible to upgrade directly from 3.41 CFW?
    Huge thanks for any help!!!

2. 1,258
    psykosis

psykosis Developer Developer

I would recommend going to 3.55 cfw first, and then upgrading from there to 4.82.2 rebug.
    I can't remember the reasoning why they recommended it back in your time, but it won't hurt anything.
    I think it had to do with major changes in 3.55.

Once in rebug 4.82.2, install toolbox, enable cobra/webman inside toolbox. I install psnpatch shortly afterwards for online, but have not been online since 4.83 so there are others more knowledgeable on the spoofing part :)

3. 1,636
    Cypher_CG89

Cypher_CG89 Senior Member

Lead Graphic Artist/Dev, VENOM ELITE GAMING
    You can get online with REBUG 4.82.2 without using SEN Enabler to Spoof to 4.83 but for this method to work the console must be converted to DEX.
    REBUG in CEX will require you to use SEN Enabler as PSN Patch does not allow you to spoof your firmware version to 4.83.

REBUG - Target ID - 'DEX' LV2 Kernel - 'CEX' (More stable for playing games) System Mode - REBUG, enable cobra.

Built in webMAN has been removed from REBUG REX 4.82.2 and has to be installed separately now.

Once REBUG is set up you install CCAPI and use that to set your IDPS and PSID to EID5 on boot so all you need to do to sign in is use psn patch to disable the SYSCALS and then sign in. No firmware spoofing need been doing it this way for years.

I can provide a full step by step guide for this way if you don't wan to use SEN Enabler.

REBUG is good if you want to mess about modding games and stuff and is needed for quite a lot of RTM Tools (Real time modding) as it is the only CFW that has both CEX (retail) and DEX (developers) kernels and also for easy swapping between the two. And quite a lot of mods, especially for COD games need DEX. But there are a few out there that can run on CEX.

FERROX and the others are CEX firmwares and I would say that Ferrox is the next best Firmware to REBUG. And You defo want a CFW with Cobra for using PS2, PSP ISOs of them games and provides greater compatibility for this.

So in a nutshell Go for REBUG REX if your interested in playing and modding games as well as maybe learning how to make homebrews and such. (Just don't go bezerk online with mods or the chances you will get banned from PSN very quickly increase.

If you just want to play your games and still have a decent CFW experience and benefits and don't want to mess about spoofing your fw version. Go for a CEX fw like Ferrox 4.83 or overflow standard 4.83. just which ever you go for i would say make sure it includes Cobra 7.55 for the best experience.

4. 41
    PS3BigFan

PS3BigFan Member

Many thanks for your replies! I definitely don't want to mess around with spoofing/modding etc. (at least for now), so the question is - could I switch from Ferrox to REBUG and vice versa in case I change my mind about it? Or once in 4.83 I'd be locked and can't go back to 4.82.2? REBUG sounds a bit complex with so many settings to play with etc.
    E.g. "REBUG - Target ID - 'DEX' LV2 Kernel - 'CEX' (More stable for playing games) System Mode - REBUG, enable cobra." - I guess you mean that there are settings like this in REBUG :).
    So if I understand it correctly the procedure should be like this:
    1) download 3.55 CFW and install (where to get it?)
    2) download REBUG 4.82.2 or Ferrox 4.83 and install
    3) change some REBUG settings to enable Cobra and playing games (CEX mode)
    4) get a new copy of MultiMAN or Rogero? Or would an old one still work? Which game manager is the best to use these days?

If I shouldn't upgrade directly from 3.41 could you point me where I could get 3.55 CFW please? Anything else I should be aware of in case of upgrades - e.g. any disadvantages over 3.41? Again - huge thanks for your help!!!!

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
  5. 7,843
    bguerville

bguerville Moderator

I don't really see a need for installing a 3.55 cfw. If you are on 3.41, you should be able to upgrade to 4.8x CFW directly afaik.

On modern CFW, you don't need to use patched game files (eboots) anymore. With Cobra, you should now use original iso image files of your retail disc games.
    You can use any backup manager to mount your iso games. You can store your iso files on an external ntfs partition.
    PSN games as pkg get installed through the pkg manager on xmb. Licenses can be installed manually or automatically by using providing the rap files to the PSNPatch homebrew.

Anyway, this means that the game backups you were using on 3.41 will no longer work on 4.8x. You will need to recreate new backups from disc (easier on PS3) or replace the patched eboot files with original eboots.
    But it's a small price to pay to be able to use the latest brews & features imho. Much has changed since the 3.41 days.

You can get the latest homebrews from our resources section or from store.brewology.com.

6. 1,636
    Cypher_CG89

REBUG is like a 2 in one CFW. CEX and DEX.

If you have QA Flag enabled you should be able to go back and forth through any CFW you like. From Ferrox to REBUG to Overflow. From 4.83 to 4.80 and so on.

With REBUG you get REBUG toolbox which allows you to enable each setting in this or there are XMB shortcuts in the Network column under CFW Setting to enable features like Cobra Mode and REBUG mode. It can look complicated at first but is simple actually quite easy to use if your just playing games.

For backup managers the best ones i think are MultiMAN, Managunz and WebMAN and WebMAN MOD. All found here - https://store.brewology.com/homebrew.php?lang=

As for the CFW itself they are in the links are on this page http://www.psx-place.com/threads/4-83-cfw-homebrew-apps-plugins-tools-updated-for-4-83.20957/

REBUG is found here - https://rebug.me/official-rebug-4-82-2-rex-d-rex-cobra-7-55-toolbox-2-02-16-apr-16th-2018/

Plenty of help can be found on PSX Place for more or less every aspect of CFW.

7. 41
    PS3BigFan

PS3BigFan Member

Awesome, again many thanks!
    So I will try to update directly from 3.41 CFW then. Do I understand it correctly that I don't need to dump console root key or set QA flag prior updating? As I understand the QA flag allows to downgrade freely, but it's only available for 3.55 https://store.brewology.com/ahomebrew.php?brewid=214 and for 4.21+ https://store.brewology.com/ahomebrew.php?brewid=313 ? Can I set this flag also after upgrading to 4.82/4.83?
    Is there ANY way to make the 3.41 backups still work with the patched EBOOT under 4.82/4.83? I should have backups of the original EBOOT files for most of them, but overall it's about 4 TB of backups, so a lot of hassle to recreate such a massive game database. Would the splitted backups with files over 4GB still work with the latest MultiMAN/WebMan if they have the original EBOOT?
    Thanks!!!

8. 7,843
    bguerville

bguerville Moderator

QA can be toggled, regardless of whether the console is on 3.55 or 4.xx. Not sure whether the 3.xx QA toggler works in 3.41 but you can do it after upgrading, just make sure not to install OFW > 4.82 by mistake or accident, that's all you need to watch for at this stage! Not even QA would get you out of that misstep anyway, only a hardware flasher...
    On Rebug you can use the Rebug Toolbox to toggle QA.
    On other CFW, you can use the Habib QA Toggler homebrew.

Patched eboots cannot work. Afaik the patches were made specifically for 3.41 so not only they are not needed on 4.xx but they happen to be incompatible anyway.
    There is a big pack of original eboots out there in 3 archives iirc. Maybe not overly legit a method but if you own the discs, you would avoid wasting time after all.

Splitted files would work but there is not much point using those, your 4.xx backup managers support iso files on external ntfs partitions. Moreover splitted files get joined on internal hdd by the backup manager so I don't really see anything to gain in using that method.

9. 41
    PS3BigFan

PS3BigFan Member

All clear, much appreciated.

Could you tell me please where exactly to find them? Which iirc? Thank you.

10. 9,991
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

I believe you can update, even from 1.00 ofw, to 4.83 cfw. it's just suggested to update to 3.55 first to get everything ready. btw, someone did make a 1.00 cfw. :-p

11. 1,636
    Cypher_CG89

PS3BigFan likes this.
  12. 41
    PS3BigFan

PS3BigFan Member

Updated to 4.82.2 REBUG through 3.55 OFW (just to be 100% sure) - it worked like a charm, many thanks for all help!!

Cypher_CG89 likes this.
  13. 1,636
    Cypher_CG89

No problem. I have to say that REBUG is probably the best CFW available as you get the best of both a CEX firmware mixed with DEX. Next to that I think Ferrox is the next best.

Be sure to install the REBUG Toolbox that comes with the firmware. If you go to 'Package Manager' in the games column of the XMB, then select 'Install Packages Files' then 'PS3 System Storage' you should see 'REBUG Toolbox 2.02.16 MULTI.pkg' just select it to install it.

Now your on a firmware that is lower than the OFW version you will either need to spoof to 4.83 using SEN enabler if your using CEX and can use a different method to get online using DEX where you don't have to spoof to 4.83.

14. 41
    PS3BigFan

PS3BigFan Member

Could you tell the difference between CEX and DEX if my goal is just to play backups? Is CEX more stable? Or is DEX in any case just a better choice of the two?
    And how to convert from CEX to DEX, is there any guideline for it here on the forum?
    Thanks!!

15. 7,843
    bguerville

bguerville Moderator

Unless you are a hacker, a game or homebrew developer or a game modder, you should only use CEX ie retail mode.

16. 1,636
    Cypher_CG89

CEX is a like what OFW is, its a firmware for public (retail) use on CECH consoles for playing games. DEX is what games devs use on DECH consoles. But with REBUG you can basically convert your CECH console to work like a DECH Debugging unit.

If you just want to play games and have a good CFW experience then a CEX good option. Some games mods are made for use with CEX.

DEX has a more wider variety of mods and can be used for homebrew development, RTM (Real time modding) games, and generally good for development on the PS3, plus more mods are made for DEX especially COD games. REBUG REX/D-REX is the only CFW that has allows for both DEX and CEX so you can get the best out of both.

To convert to DEX on REBUG Follow these steps:

Select REBUG Toolbox on the XMB, once it has loaded select 'System information' it will show your firmware version, IP address, LV2 Kernel, Target ID, Toolbox Version, Free HDD space and COBRA version.
    If your Target ID is not DEX then follow these steps.

1. While in the Toolbox scroll across to the 'Utilities' column, then scroll down to 'Dump eid root key' and select it. You will be prompted with a message-
    'Do you want to dump your eid root key and reboot? The eid_root_key will be created in /dev_hdd0/game/RBGTLBOX2/USDIR'
    Select yes to dump your root key and reboot your PS3.

2. Once your PS3 has rebooted go back into REBUG Toolbox and scroll across to 'DEX/CEX' column, then down to 'Rewrite Target ID in Flash' and select it. You will again be prompted with a message-
    'Found eid_root_key, do you want automatic conversion from CEX to DEX?' Select Yes to convert your PS3 to DEX.

3. Now your PS3 is DEX, go back to the 'DEX/CEX' Column and select 'Swap LV2 Kernel' you will see a message-
    'LV2 Kernel successfully changed to 'CEX/Retail' press ok, 'System restart is required. Press OK to reboot' and your PS3 will reboot.

4. Go back into REBUG TOOLBOX go to the 'Selector' Column and find 'System Mode' and change it to 'REBUG'.

5. Now change XMB Operation Mode to 'Debug'.

6. Now change Debug Menu Type to 'DEX'

7. Now on Toogle Cobra Mode select 'Enable'

Just in case you want to convert.

17. 1,636
    Cypher_CG89

Also beware that you need to spoof to 4.83 if you wan to play online on REBUG. There are 2 methods that can be used on REBUG to access PSN a DEX method and a CEX method.

18. 41
    PS3BigFan

PS3BigFan Member

Thank you, much appreciated.
    Unfortunately I ran into strange problems while trying to get NTFS to work - it just doesn't want to work at all. Used prepNTFS with webMan and PFS with MultiMan - neither works, my drive doesn't seem to be recognized. IRISMAN shows the harddrive at least, but it's awfully slow, even a simple navigation through directories takes ages. I have there lots of folders, no ISO files. The harddrive is 1.5 TB USB2 drive, pretty old (around 2011), so it shouldn't be "too new" I guess. As a FAT32 drive it works like a charm.
    Tried exFAT as well with multiMan (with Cobra mode turned off) - no success. What do I do wrong? Any ideas? Huge thanks!

19. 1,636
    Cypher_CG89

xFAT is not compatible at all on PS3 with any app or homebrew. As for NTFS it should work like a charm for games in ISO using MultiMANs 'Scan for ISO games on NTFS' option, but for files and other stuff its extremely temperamental I have found, connecting and disconnecting randomly or crashing the app (MultiMAN) and navigation is a bitch with them. Plus its read only, so you can only copy things from the HDD to the PS3, if it lets you first, you cannot put things on them or delete.

You have to do that sort of thing on your PC. NTFS on the PS3 is mainly for getting around FAT32s 4GB file size limitation on external HDDs for ISOs. If a file size is over 4GB on the internal HDD its not split into 2 files.

I have never tried to FTP things to an external NTFS HDD connected to the PS3 so have no idea if that would work with WebMAN as its FTP service is always running, you can literally transfer files to you PS3 while watching a film or playing a game which is extremely handy.

20. 7,843
    bguerville

bguerville Moderator

No support for exfat in any ps3 ftp server afaik.
    Multiman ntfs support is readonly, moreover the pfs driver doesn't work very well in my experience.
    You won't be able to ftp to the ntfs drive via multiman FTP or Rebug Toolbox's FTP servers because those apps don't have libntfs support.
    You could use the ftp server from sMan or wMM for instance, or any other ps3 ftp server supporting ntfs.

If ever you have ntfs support issues with sMan or wMM, you might need to verify the cluster size used by your ntfs partition. If it uses the standard default ntfs cluster size setting, it will probably not work well, in which case try using a bigger size setting (partitioning utilities can resize ntfs clusters for you).