Various PS2 projects

Discussion in 'General PS2 Discussion' started by uyjulian, Oct 11, 2018.

1. 159
    uyjulian

uyjulian Developer

The OSDSYS decompiled decompression code was cleaned up. I hope to create a tool soon.

For HDDOSD asset image headers, I'm going to breakpoint at the function responsible for reading the image header, and dump RAM at that point. However, I'm going to need to use Kermit for that, as other debuggers don't support OSDSYS (afaik). Since I can only find my 1394b to 4 pin cable (and not my 1394a to 4 pin cable or 1394b to 1394a adapter), I'm going to install Windows XP to an old HDD and put that in my old MacBook.

For Red Hat Linux 6.2, I got around to converting the CloneZilla files provided to me to a block device dump. I had to modify the CloneZilla scripts to support loop devices. After ocs-sr restored to the loop device, I used gparted to resize the ~40GB LVM partition to a smaller size that can fit on my 32GB CF. I then used fdisk to get the offset of where I should trim the image, and truncate to trim the image.

I plan to split off pfsshell into four more projects in order to increase common usage in other projects like pfsfuse: apa_posix, pfs_posix, iomanX_posix, and ps2sdk_posixshim. More details on that later.

jolek, Algol and TnA like this.
  2. 159
    uyjulian

uyjulian Developer

The OSDSYS decompiled decompression code was cleaned up, and it now runs.
    Code:
    x = x + -y;

is different from
    Code:
    x = x - y;

, so be sure to fix the output of Ghidra.

I will post an updated version of ROMIMG that will support decompressing these files later on.

My SCPH-20400 arrived, so I took that apart, grabbed the IDE cable, then attached it to the CF adapter.

My Red Hat Linux 6.2 image is almost ready to be transferred to the CF card.

TnA, jolek, Berion and 1 other person like this.
  3. 159
    uyjulian

uyjulian Developer

I'm curious about the cost of ordering a memory card preloaded with FMCB vs blank CD-R/DVD-Rs (and possibly repair/replace the laser) in third world countries.

If it is cheaper to use blank DVD-R (and replace the laser)...
    Better place to look for exploits is the DVD Player. It would be nice to get it emulated in PCSX2 so it is easier to fuzz.

TnA likes this.